PDA

View Full Version : PT-22 Development

Bomber_12th
September 17th, 2009, 23:09
Having started this project at the beginning of last week, with the pressure of having the exterior finished by the end of this week for school, I'm very near to reaching that goal. I have called it a night, though work only remains on the tail wheel assembly, adding the oil and fuel caps, and then a bunch of nuts and bolts once I get started on texturing next week. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Once the term is over, I will get into the inside of the aircraft, and begin on the cockpit work. I had hoped to have gotten this far, earlier this week, but I wasn't expecting how much time the engine, propeller, and gear were going to take - and just adding all of the flying wire (accurately) was a chore in itself. I was able to craft the propeller from using a Sensenich wood prop at my house, very similar to the type used on the PT-22, by taping off individual lines on the blade to photograph cross-sections to copy. Once made, it only took some small adjustments to match the correct example. I was also surprised at how unique a particular radial engine is - having never really studied radial engine jugs before - and it was quite a nightmare to try and copy all of the geometry of the various components on the Kinner R-540, but now there is no mistaking the replicated engine for the exact type.

When released, it will likely be shareware/charity-ware, or whatever you want to call it - available for free, but with a payment through Paypal, you will be able to receive updates and further variants. Here are some recent renders, which I hope you enjoy viewing...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/PT-22_1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/PT-22_2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/PT-22_3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/PT-22_6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/PT-22_4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/PT-22_5.jpg

gajit
September 17th, 2009, 23:18
Wow - that does look fantastic :applause:

tigisfat
September 17th, 2009, 23:33
You sir, are truly an artist. Great work.:applause:

jankees
September 18th, 2009, 00:10
..started last week???

:applause::applause::applause:

oh man!
That certainly looks very good!

huub vink
September 18th, 2009, 00:59
You have chosen a great subject John. And the screenshots definitely show your extra ordinary skills!

Thanks for these beautiful shots and the model is cetainly one I look forward to!

Huub

Gibbage
September 18th, 2009, 01:05
Outstanding job! Some of the best modeling I have seen in a very long time. Keep up the great work!:ernae:

jimjones
September 18th, 2009, 01:28
Exceptional. Very nice. Keep us informed.

HenryW
September 18th, 2009, 01:48
Great modeling, absolutely outstanding! :jump:

calypsos
September 18th, 2009, 02:58
Tip top modelling, superb:applause::applause::applause::applause::app lause:

jmig
September 18th, 2009, 03:37
You did that in a couple of weeks? :jawdrop: Amazing!!

Roger
September 18th, 2009, 03:39
Wow! That looks fantastic John!:applause:

OBIO
September 18th, 2009, 03:41
Bomber_12th

Incredible! That is one very nice looking collection of polygons.

Is this going to be for FSX only, or will there be a FS9 version as well (please please please say that it will be for FS9 as well).

OBIO

Roger
September 18th, 2009, 03:44
Bomber_12th

Incredible! That is one very nice looking collection of polygons.

Is this going to be for FSX only, or will there be a FS9 version as well (please please please say that it will be for FS9 as well).

OBIO

There is another being made for Fs9. Try a look at The Old Hangar forum at The Old Hangar site (click on my banner)

Slug Flyer
September 18th, 2009, 07:43
I'd chip in a donation for a Ryan ST.

Slund
September 18th, 2009, 07:54
That is incredible, two weeks work! I'd be happy to make a donation when she's finished.

Quicksand
September 18th, 2009, 07:54
John, your talent never ceases to amaze me. WOW!:applause::isadizzy:

Helldiver
September 18th, 2009, 09:27
John, your craftmanship must be admired. A truly great subject, long overdue.
I hope that you will include in the Ryan STA with the in line Menasco engine in it and the crazy wheel spats. It was the first truly aerobatic plane I ever saw. During the war all aircraft were impounded and all were sent off to different places. All were returned except for the Ryan STA. I always wondered what was it's fate.

peter12213
September 18th, 2009, 09:43
Nice, I really like that!

Bomber_12th
September 18th, 2009, 12:21
Thank you everyone! I would certainly not be this far with it, if it weren't for needing to be this far - for the course I am taking, the modeled item must be textured next week, and animated in a story-line scene the following week. Of course whatever texturing I am able to accomplish next week is going to be minimal at best because of the time constraint - though it will make for a good start on the final FSX materials.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I got inspiration for doing the PT-22, since the local chapter of the Commemorative Air Force here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Minnesota</st1:place></st1:State> recently purchased a very beautiful, very original example, which is close to flying any day now, if it hasn't already. I am uncertain about doing the Ryan STA, since I am not sure about being able to find a source for accurate sounds. The other thing is, the STA is very different than the PT-22, so much so, that it will be like building a brand new aircraft. Having said that, I agree that it is a spectacular aircraft.<o:p></o:p>
Amongst the differences between the STA and the PT-22, the PT-22's wings were kinked back, as the Army Air Corps. found that the STA design was far too stable to properly train military pilots. With the wings kinked back, there was less stability, and less warning of a stall, requiring pilots to fly more by the book, and not have their wings simply given to them - as the STA is supposedly one of the easiest aircraft you can ever fly. The landing gear was completely redesigned from the STA, mains and tail, so as to deal with new pilots commonly making hard landings. I also read that the fuselage might have been widened, but I am not sure if this is true.

Some of the eventual civilian PT-22 variants I wish to cover, actually make the the aircraft look very much like the sport-plane that the STA is. Some owners, immediately post-war and even now, have STA-like spats over the gear. Some have the forward cockpit faired over, making the lines very sleek, like a pre-war racer. And some have added bigger engines, bigger props, and cowls - and even one guy added a second wing!

stiz
September 18th, 2009, 12:25
hey bomber if your useing max have a search for "unwraptools1.4" (for max 8) or 1.50 for max 9+. Makes things an awful lot easier :wavey:

Bomber_12th
September 18th, 2009, 12:30
BTW, up until your post Roger, I had no idea that there was a PT-22 being made for FS9 as well. It is quite interesting that the flight sim community has gone without a PT-22, since I believe Flight Simulator 98, and now two are being made, for separate sims, at the same time.

Stiz, thank you very much for the tip, I will certainly look into that!

falcon409
June 24th, 2010, 07:40
Anything new to report on this John?:salute:

Cag40Navy
June 24th, 2010, 12:10
Im with Falcon, anything new?

Lionheart
June 24th, 2010, 12:13
Ok... Where is it...? My jaw just flew off and bounced off the monitor...

That is INCREDIBLE!!!! Very nice work John. Very very nice....!

Fast work man! Nicely done..

:applause:

Bill

pilottj
June 24th, 2010, 23:10
I was at the Travis AFB museum for a BBQ function and they have a nice PT-19 parked inside. It is a suprisingly large aircraft for a 2 seat trainer. Damn near as big as the beefier BT-13 it was parked next to. I imagine it is similar in size to the PT-22. They also have a restored Cessna Bobcat inside too, I remember really enjoying Bill Lyon's great rendition (as well as his STA) and that would be a lovely plane to see back in FS. Very beautiful PT-22 tho, can't wait to give it a whirl.

CHeers
TJ