PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Otter Glass Conversion

Wombat_VC
September 17th, 2009, 06:32
Winter will be here soon and Tongass X has too many glaciers, but my favourite bush plane (Kodiak) does not have skiis. To substitute, I found myself a Turbo Otter on skiis from Premier Aircraft Design. However, I like glass too much. Hence...

I actually bought the Garmin G1000 package from FS2x (voted against Mindstar) for it but found that my 4-year-old PC had problem maintaining good FPS, so I used the one from Kodiak instead. Hope Bill doesn't mind.

CG_1976
September 17th, 2009, 06:38
I wonder if a two engine G1000 is available or made? The FSX Dc-3 needs a make over.

Wombat_VC
September 17th, 2009, 06:46
I wonder if a two engine G1000 is available or made? The FSX Dc-3 needs a make over.

Most of the 2-engine G1000's are on biz jets. I'm not sure if the engine data will be properly displayed.

If you do not insist on a Garmin, you can try the Avidyne system from Flight 1 which seems to come with a configurator for different planes.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsavidyne

expat
September 17th, 2009, 08:33
Hey, didn't know about that Avidyne system, thanks. Like the look of it. If I saw - and I didn't - that it positively would work on single and twin turbo prop a/c I would be tempted.

Have about seven hours flying IRL this Avidyne sytem in a PA-28 (of all things) - great fun + having that big PFD/horizon helped me doing some early IFR work.

Wombat_VC
September 17th, 2009, 18:29
A word of caution about panel mod. 2D panels can be easily modded 90% of the time, but VC panels CANNOT be modded 90% of the time.

As a guide, VC's that can be modded are those where the gauge layout under [vcockpit] looks almost identical to the 2D [window] layout. This is a sign that the designer simply slab a flat plane in the model to "display" gauges. This method usually result in poorer VC quality but easy for us modders. Generally, the more sophisticated (or higher quality) is the VC, the less likely it can be modded.

Using FS Panel Studio helps a lot.

Lionheart
September 17th, 2009, 18:39
Wombat,

I'll have nicer Garmin textures in a day. I was hoping to launch it tonight but had too much going on.

On my planes and some others in the newest forms of plane making, we map a 3D object with the gauge texture. In the Epic and Kodiak, 3 boxes are mapped with the PFD and MFD gauges. But in this plane, the entire panel area is a single Polygon structure all across, so you can put any shapes of gauges on there that you want. The only thing is trying to figure out how big the scale should be.

Looks good in there!

On performance, unfortunately only the stock FSX Garmins and my own Garmins will probably be fastest, and thats because alot of the cool features of the Garmin systems are left out. Mine are very basic and have tweaks to cause them to be highly efficient, such as low refresh rates, no lower key zone menu systems, etc. Great for frames, not for precision.

Bill