PDA

View Full Version : FS2002 nostalgia

arrowmaker
September 17th, 2009, 01:55
Although I now pretty much fly exclusively in FSX, with occasional flights in FS9, I have just dusted off my FS2002 discs and carried out an install to an external HD. I did this just out of curiosity and for nostalgia's sake (ah to again see the blimp over Meigs Field).

I have a question for the few of you out there who still fly in FS2002. What aircraft are you using? Are there any fantastic models which simply never got ported, or at least ported well, into FS9? I'm obviously not going to go out and start buying FS2002 payware, so I'm pretty much looking at freeware only.

I'd also be interested if anyone could recommend a good free AI traffic program that can be used for FS2002.

Tom Clayton
September 17th, 2009, 09:58
A great many of Mike Stone's early FS9 models work perfectly in FS2002 after you replace the Simicon2004 with Simicon and then revert the GPS popup back to the 2002 version. Beyond that, the only other thing I can think of right off would be Milton's original Dash 7 releases. They're still on AvSim.

Motormouse
September 17th, 2009, 10:00
Are there any fantastic models which simply never got ported, or at least ported well, into FS9?

some I could mention.....

Aeroplane Heaven's Fairey Firefly and DH Hornet

Bill Lyons' Cessna Bobcat and Tiger Moth

Roger Guy's Britten-Norman Trislander

Alan Kaiser's Boeing 307 Stratoliner

a Dornier Whal, and a Dornier 18/24 (can't remember the authors of those two)

and Heather Sherman & co Grumman Duck

ttfn

Pete

Tom Clayton
September 17th, 2009, 10:08
If you have the "Professional" edition, you also get a copy of the CFS2(?) Corsair. I used to have fun punching through the 2D clouds in that one!

casey jones
September 17th, 2009, 10:17
Dear Mr Clayton,

Is there a chance that Transload VA could do a re-paint of Mr Jens Kristianson's Condor in the VA colors? I can ask Mr Kristenson for permmision to do so if that will help?

Cheers

Casey:wavey:

Tom Clayton
September 17th, 2009, 10:47
We used to have Garry Smith do most of our paints, but I guess he's been involved with other projects lately. Dan Jones (Trans 23) has been doing most of them recently. With winter coming, he'll probably be doing a few more paints in the near future. You may be ablt to talk him into something...

Trans_23
September 17th, 2009, 15:53
The C-5 Galaxy by the late Rey Lopez was always one of my favorites. I could never get it ported over to FS9. The flaps and speed brakes wouldn't operate. I contacted Mr. Lopez to see if he had any updates that might have helped but he passed shortly after a few e-mail exchanges. I then pleaded with Mike Stone and he was kind enough to develop one right away.

@ Casey Jones. If you send me a link I will take a look but I am in the middle of a project right now and until the weather here in Illinois really goes to the pot I don't spend a lot of time on the puter.

Milton Shupe
September 17th, 2009, 17:42
A great many of Mike Stone's early FS9 models work perfectly in FS2002 after you replace the Simicon2004 with Simicon and then revert the GPS popup back to the 2002 version. Beyond that, the only other thing I can think of right off would be Milton's original Dash 7 releases. They're still on AvSim.

I might add that all of our newer FS9 versions were also released for FS2002 native. The Aero Commanders, the D18S, the Spartan, the Howard 500, and the Dash 7 VC model. Hit the link in my signature and go to the respective download pages for each aircraft.

Lionheart
September 17th, 2009, 18:00
There was some copies of FS2002 at BestBuy... I almost got one.

That was a huge jump for FS back then. Phoenix had some brilliant desert textures. So realistic....

Bill

arrowmaker
September 17th, 2009, 22:58
If you have the "Professional" edition, you also get a copy of the CFS2(?) Corsair. I used to have fun punching through the 2D clouds in that one!

Yes I have the Pro version, so I might look into the Corsair. So far I have installed some of Bill Lyon's earlier stuff as well as the excellent Dassault Falcon 50, from Yannick Lavigne and co. I'm currently trawling through Steve Cartwright's Bears Cave over at Avsim, which is proving invaluable. What a pity this feature was abandoned early on in FS9's life cycle. I've also found a FS2002 dedicated forum, over at Flightsim.com, which surprisingly (to me anyway) still has regular traffic.

Some may ask why fly in a seven year old sim if you can fly in FSX?. Well there are various reasons given on the forum over at Flightsim. Personally, I'm just curious about some of these earlier addon's. Also with the base install having a footprint of less than 2GB, it takes up to next to no space on a 750GB external drive.

Please keep your suggestions coming guys. Preferably models which, as stated in my original post, did not transfer well to FS2004 if at all.

Daube
September 18th, 2009, 00:58
I believe the Dassault Falcom was made for FS2002 originally, and it was ported pretty soon to FS9.
Also, the Super Etandard (SEM.zip) is a FS2002 jet fighter.
But still, I prefer flying over Meigs in FSX, even if the blimp is missing (I have installed a scenery that brings back the airport, of course ;) )

rohan
September 18th, 2009, 06:11
My reason for keeping FS2002 is the models of Richard Alexander van Hien. He has created a whole series of some of the more exotic aircraft that flew in World War II, most of which are labelled as being for FS2000 and FS2002,
regs,
Ro

Lionheart
September 18th, 2009, 07:33
I believe the Dassault Falcom was made for FS2002 originally, and it was ported pretty soon to FS9.

That thing was the nicest plane in FS2002 days...! I loved mine. It really forced my computer to work harder then ever with its high resolution textures and all. I couldnt believe an FS model could be that nice.

There are 2 versions of it. The FS2002 model and the FS2004 model. If you put the 2002 model in FS9, the landing gear do not show up. Yanick and his team redid it for FS9 and now it works perfect. (But you need the FS2002 version).

Man... I may have to reinstall ole FS2002 in my rig again, lolol..

TARPSBird
September 18th, 2009, 10:09
Anybody who's still flying in FS2002 should get Ver Walter Gulfan's Kindley Field scenery for the island of Corregidor in Manila Bay. Ver Walter transformed the generic MS "blob" island to the actual shape and elevation it should be and added the airfield which dates back to pre-WWII. It's correg10.zip at Flightsim. His other FS2002 sceneries are all excellent.