PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes this Sim amazes me

gavinc
October 24th, 2008, 09:04
Every once in a while you forget that this sim is nearly 8 years old.

Flying over the Corsican coast with FSMetar providing real world weather.

Gavin

bearcat241
October 24th, 2008, 09:10
Nice shot Gavin :applause:....where can i find those clouds?

gedm
October 24th, 2008, 09:17
Gavin, although I've been flying the civil sim lately, cfs2 is still a wonderful flightsim unto itself and I always come back to it.
I find myself needing to take a sim-flight at the end of my day as a way of decompressing.
I've actually made some free flight missions that I can just fly or if I feel like engaging, I fly into certain areas and get that out of the way as well.

Cheers :cost1:

Rocktser2
October 24th, 2008, 11:47
I will always be in awe......................

Here's were I use to spend my time...........and this was impressive......

When NASA sent men to the moon ..........the command module on board computer had less brainpower of todays hand held scientific calculator.......

I saw ma and pa from american gothic walking out of the local best buy with a closeout $400 desk top in a grocery cart with more calculating processor than most college main frames in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

totally..........dude

Warhawk1130
October 24th, 2008, 12:15
I had no idea FSmetar could be used in cfs2.

How does it work in cfs2 and where can I get the one I see in your post?

rhumbaflappy
October 24th, 2008, 12:57
FSMetar 1.5.4

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/fsmetar/

It uses FSUIPC.

Dick

miamieagle
October 24th, 2008, 13:24
Its all very cool!:wavey:

At was just flying free flight over China and I was amaze how great this Sim really is. I felt like I was flying over China after a few sceneries upgrade. It really felt like I was flying in the over Asia in the nineteen Thirties.WoW

Warhawk1130
October 24th, 2008, 14:26
FSMetar 1.5.4

It uses FSUIPC.

Dick

Thanks, Dick.

OBIO
October 25th, 2008, 01:34
Rhumbaflappy

Thanks for the heads up and the link for the FSmetar thingimajig. Will give it a try in a new install I am going to set up....one just for general aviation aircraft. Yep, an install of CFS2 in which weapons addons will not be an issue...totally void of bullets, bombs, rockets and torps. I use CFS2 as much, if not more, for just flying around and enjoying the flight. Will be bringing in some more of the bigger GA and Commercial aircraft.....747, DC-3, DC-8, A-300.

OBIO

gavinc
October 25th, 2008, 04:55
Nice shot Gavin :applause:....where can i find those clouds?

Hi BC
They are the FSX clouds re-formatted to DXT3, most of them are pretty light frame rate wise but there are a couple (especially the storm clouds) that are real FR killers. I haven't managed to isolate the culprits yet.

Gavin

MaskRider
October 25th, 2008, 11:12
Yep, nice shot. I have always used ActiveSky and had never heard of FSMetar. I went and got it. Tried it. I like it.

Thanks for the heads up!

OBIO
October 25th, 2008, 16:29
What is FSUIPC and where can I get it?

OBIO

MaskRider
October 25th, 2008, 16:36
Late afternoon- Rabaul-Simpson Harbor. Weather by FSMetar.

MaskRider
October 25th, 2008, 16:45
What is FSUIPC and where can I get it?

OBIO

Its a program that allows other programs such as Activesky and FSMetar to communicate with and "control" certain functions in CFS2 and other sims.

Try this link: Peter Dowson (http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html)

You'll want the 3.82 Version a bit down the page.

OBIO
October 25th, 2008, 17:03
Thanks MR...got it. Will be setting up a GA/Commercial install of CFS2....got a growing number of unarmed planes that need to be moved to reduce the size of my Prop Test install.

That Japanese bomber in your screen shot...whose is it?

OBIO

MaskRider
October 25th, 2008, 17:13
That Japanese bomber in your screen shot...whose is it?

OBIO

That is WolfGang "Wolfi" Faber's excellent IJN_G3M_NELL for which Sopwith Chamelion made several excellent additional skins.

Not sure just where to get it. Maybe here at SOH.

Dirtman
October 25th, 2008, 17:20
Will give it a try in a new install I am going to set up....one just for general aviation aircraft. Yep, an install of CFS2 in which weapons addons will not be an issue...totally void of bullets, bombs, rockets and torps.
OBIO

Dear Gawd .... NO OBI!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Yer gonna turn into one a them FSX - "bus drivers"!!!!

:costumes: :costumes: :costumes:

OBIO
October 25th, 2008, 21:37
Dear Gawd .... NO OBI!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Yer gonna turn into one a them FSX - "bus drivers"!!!!

No....not at all. Although I am looking to get a copy of FS2004 so I can fly all the General Aviation and some of the Commercial aircraft without having to spend time converting them to CFS2. I like flight in all it's various forms. I like dog fighting, I like flying helicopters, I like flying the Goodyear Defender blimp, I like flying a nice old bi-plane through deep mountain valleys. I like flying the F-4E at Mach 2.2 (which can be done by using the air file from the Alpha Sim CF-105....totally stable flight with no shimmy even at Mach 2). I like flying, period! Heck, I have even taken the Alpha Sim UFO for a cruise around the Pacific and scared the living daylights out of the Japs with that puppy!

OBIO

gavinc
October 26th, 2008, 00:16
Nice one

Gavin

Crusader
October 26th, 2008, 01:05

MaskRider ,

If you don,t mind me asking , what ground textures are you using ?

Rich

miamieagle
October 26th, 2008, 07:16
OBIO that Japanese Bomber you like is located here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&FileType=cfs2-aircraft&page=downloads&Category=JAP&ammm=15&pap=2

and its call G8N1_RENZAN.zip (11.12 Meg)

Dirtman
October 26th, 2008, 07:20
No....not at all. Although I am looking to get a copy of FS2004 so I can fly all the General Aviation and some of the Commercial aircraft without having to spend time converting them to CFS2. I like flight in all it's various forms. I like dog fighting, I like flying helicopters, I like flying the Goodyear Defender blimp, I like flying a nice old bi-plane through deep mountain valleys. I like flying the F-4E at Mach 2.2 (which can be done by using the air file from the Alpha Sim CF-105....totally stable flight with no shimmy even at Mach 2). I like flying, period! Heck, I have even taken the Alpha Sim UFO for a cruise around the Pacific and scared the living daylights out of the Japs with that puppy!

OBIO

Beware of the lure of the "Dark Side" ..... Use "The Force" Obi!!!!

Actually I had FS9 loaded for a couple of weeks :eek: (borrowed it)
The scenery is AMAZING!!! Took a MiG-15 through the Grand Canyon; 40ft. off the river & went "balls to the wall".

Lots of SPLATS - but tons of fun & excitement.

- Couldn't find the danged guns though .... :d :d :d

guns = funs fer me

MaskRider
October 26th, 2008, 08:13
MaskRider ,

If you don,t mind me asking , what ground textures are you using ?

Rich

Those are PacTex textures but the shoreline and other texturing is from G2K scenery I made- kind of a long term off and on project.

bearcat241
October 26th, 2008, 08:31
:icon_lol: Everything's a "long term off and on project" with you Chris....but when you come through, man you lay some pretty BIG golden eggs :applause:

BTW, just out curiosity, have you given much thought to doing a retro GSL refit for some of your earlier popular sites? It's not a direct request or anything, i can certainly live well with everything you've done so far. I just wanted to know where you are on the feasibility of that idea.

PS---on second thought, i may have asked this question before.

Blue Devil
October 26th, 2008, 10:15
....one just for general aviation aircraft. Yep, an install of CFS2 in which weapons addons will not be an issue...totally void of bullets, bombs, rockets and torps. I use CFS2 as much, if not more, for just flying around and enjoying the flight. Will be bringing in some more of the bigger GA and Commercial aircraft.....

Well OBIO, ...that's more information than we needed ta know down here in the Basement...

As you are aware, ...this forum has a "Don't ask, ...Don't tell" policy w/ regard to this issue.

The medical community's current theory on this matter is that one is born that way, ...a genetic attempt to improve the species, ...possibly through population reduction as a response to density a/o limited resource pressures.

As you profess to be a "Switch Hitter", ...at least some of your genome supports Darwin"s "Survival of fittest" concept.

You are always welcome here, ...and your contributions and insights are warmly received and appreciated w/in the group.

...but that other thing, ...well, ...makes us, ...a little, ...uncomfortable.

(though it's probably just insecurity on our part...)

Please be respectful of the group, ...and keep it "Guns Only".

I am sure that we can count on your cooperation and support.

Thanks OBIO.

P.S. An Airplane w/o guns is like a Woman w/o....

(I'm try'n ta figure out a way to rig a .22 to the belly of my home-built, ...to hunt jack-rabbits...)

EDIT: But that would be illegal, ...so I won't...

Wulf190
October 26th, 2008, 12:00
Thanks for letting me know about FSmetar, great tool for both CFS2 and FS9.

Jerm
October 26th, 2008, 15:28

where'd you get that great looking rabual scenery.

:ernae:

Rami
October 27th, 2008, 05:38
I will always be in awe......................

Here's were I use to spend my time...........and this was impressive......

When NASA sent men to the moon ..........the command module on board computer had less brainpower of todays hand held scientific calculator.......

I saw ma and pa from american gothic walking out of the local best buy with a closeout $400 desk top in a grocery cart with more calculating processor than most college main frames in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

totally..........dude

I believe that the Apollo 8 Command Module computer was water-cooled, held four bytes of data, and weighed 75 pounds! :d

dvslats
October 27th, 2008, 09:58
Every once in a while you forget that this sim is nearly 8 years old.
Especially with all of the tools and modifications made available to us from the Master tinkerers. My original CFS2 never looked this good.

MaskRider
October 27th, 2008, 11:24
where'd you get that great looking rabual scenery.

Its my own- one of many works in progress- probably never to be released. Sorry.

MaskRider
October 27th, 2008, 21:33
A couple more FSMetar screenies. I think I may like it more than Active Sky. It seems to update itself from more stations (?). Sometimes Active Sky goes pretty far out of the way for an update even though there should be a reporting station near by.

Flying SE of Manila Bay- around Lake Bay and Lake Taal.

dog1
October 27th, 2008, 21:58
ATT MASKRIDER
I am using active sky WXRE and i would like to try this FSMETAR, where do you purchase it from?
dog1

MaskRider
October 28th, 2008, 03:00
ATT MASKRIDER
I am using active sky WXRE and i would like to try this FSMETAR, where do you purchase it from?
dog1

Quoting Rhumba from above:

FSMetar 1.5.4

It uses FSUIPC.

Dick

And I believe its a freebie.

My one gripe with FSMetar so far is that I don't seem able to create a functioning keyboard short cut for it. I have to pause the game, go to the FSMetar shortcut icon and start it that way. Using a keyboard shortcut, ActiveSky-WXRE can be started from inside CFS2.

gavinc
October 28th, 2008, 04:31
Quoting Rhumba from above:

And I believe its a freebie.

My one gripe with FSMetar so far is that I don't seem able to create a functioning keyboard short cut for it. I have to pause the game, go to the FSMetar shortcut icon and start it that way. Using a keyboard shortcut, ActiveSky-WXRE can be started from inside CFS2.

I start FSMetars before I start CFS2. Unlike ActiveSky FSMetars will just sit around waiting until it can connect to a Flight Sim.

Gavin

miamieagle
October 28th, 2008, 04:49
I have question! Is FSUIPC a self install program or do we need to install it in a certain Folder through copy and paste?:icon_lol:

MaskRider
October 28th, 2008, 04:53
You drop it into your Modules folder.

miamieagle
October 28th, 2008, 05:34
Thank you my friend!

I know you also need to be online. The PC I use for flying CFS2 and other flight Sim is not connected to the internet.:ernae:

Jean Bomber
October 28th, 2008, 07:33
Nice job Chris !

Its my own- one of many works in progress- probably never to be released. Sorry.
We hope for some ........but I know the problem ,with this kind of scenery there are always some things to finish or wonder,it's always to early to upload.....

JP

rhumbaflappy
October 28th, 2008, 13:53
Thank you my friend!

I know you also need to be online. The PC I use for flying CFS2 and other flight Sim is not connected to the internet.:ernae:
You can use the FSMetar on another computer and download the metars, and save them as a file... then transfer the saved file to the non-internet computer.

This also would lead me to believe you could makeup different metars if you want, and save them as a file.

Dick

miamieagle
October 28th, 2008, 15:15
Thank you for the tip Rhumbaflappy!

dog1
October 28th, 2008, 16:15
Much better than nothing, the only thing though is that it will always be the same and not dynamic weather,i stand corrected if wrong,
dog1

hellcat44
October 28th, 2008, 20:12
Rising sun near Sasebo with FSMetar weather.

hellcat44
October 29th, 2008, 09:38
Midday near Fuji.

Jaxon
October 29th, 2008, 10:17
Actually one can set up a more complex (= real) weather in the sim manually as well with the advanced weather menu.

But getting weather like this without much work is much nicer.

When I used ActiveSky back then, I copied myself a few weather settings, to be used in possible missions.

--

The screenies look really nice!

bobhegf
October 29th, 2008, 17:53
How did you fellows set up FSMetar.I can`t get it to work.I have theFSUIPC set in the correct folder but FSmetar won`t connect. I am running cable so it should work.

gavinc
October 29th, 2008, 19:11
Actually one can set up a more complex (= real) weather in the sim manually as well with the advanced weather menu.

But getting weather like this without much work is much nicer.

When I used ActiveSky back then, I copied myself a few weather settings, to be used in possible missions.

--

The screenies look really nice!

One of my favourite things is to use FSMetars along with DCG. That way you get different weather for each session (except that I am currently flying the Arctic convoy campaign and at this time of year in the North Atlantic it is grey and rainy every day:costumes:)

Gavin

gavinc
October 29th, 2008, 19:17
How did you fellows set up FSMetar.I can`t get it to work.I have theFSUIPC set in the correct folder but FSmetar won`t connect. I am running cable so it should work.

No magic that I can remember.
Drop FSUIPC in the modules folder
Start CFS2
Flip back to Windows
Start FSMetars
You should see it download and process the Metars and in the bottom status bar you should see it reporting a connection to FSUIPC.

In the readme there are some recommended settings for FSUIPC but these are just optimizations AFAIR.

First thing is to confirm that FSUIPC is loading correctly - there should be an additional drop down for it in the CFS2 menu bar (I think - in an airport lounge at the moment - can confirm later today.)

Gavin

bobhegf
October 29th, 2008, 20:54
It comes back not connected.

hellcat44
October 30th, 2008, 06:27
It comes back not connected.

Assuming installation is correct...
Sim must be running....run FSMetar....click FSMetar tab top left...scroll down to 'Download Metar From Internet'....click 'VATSIM server' and weather should appear in FF or QC.

JapLance
October 30th, 2008, 07:23
I couldn't make CFS2 work with the latest FSUIPC version supplied in that site, it crashed before the main menu. I had to make it with an older version I found through Google, but in the end it worked :jump:.

A nice addition to cfs2 goodies list :ernae: :d

gavinc
October 30th, 2008, 08:26
Hi Bobhegf
I think JapLance may be on the right track.

I am using FSMetars version 1.5.4 connecting to FSUIPC v 2.9.75 without any issues. Can you please check your versions.

You can get the "right" version of FSUIPC (ie the version that appears to work for me) in a package called CFS2-Online-Realweather-Pack.zip that has been uploaded to the files section here by Jaxon.

Thanks
Gavin

JapLance
October 30th, 2008, 09:35
Here is my version: FSUIPC v3.400. Got it from this link

http://thejoan.iespana.es/thejoan/web-software%20FS/fsuipc.htm

bobhegf
October 30th, 2008, 10:44
I will give it a try as soon as I can and let you know what happens.:d

OBIO
October 30th, 2008, 13:47
Got FSMetars and FSUICP 3.82 installed and WOW OH WOW! Very cool! Need to try out various cloud sets to get the right ones for best looks without killing performance. I am currently using some I found on Simviation.com under the FS2000 Scenery section. Better than stock, but still not as nice as some in the screen shots posted in this thread.

Do have one question. This is from the FSMetars read me file:

"IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!

* FSMetar needs acreditation with FSUIPC 3.x versions.
* Input this values in your FSUIPC 3.x if you don't have a registrated
version of FSUIPC 3.x:

Product Name: FSMetar
KEY: U90O 7AMH 4PAI
* For a better performance of FSMetar (smoothing p.e.) register
your version of FSUIPC 3.x (not necesary in previous versions)."

How do you register FSUICP3.82 and where do you put the FSMetar Key to accreditate it?

OBIO

JapLance
October 30th, 2008, 22:06
Once you have the FSUIPC.dll in the modules folder of CFS2, run CFS2 and while in free flight acces to the top menu (ALT key). If everything is fine, there should be a new section called Modules and inside it, FSUIPC. In the FSUIPC window, select Register aplication program and enter the name and key. It should be ready to go then.

rhumbaflappy
October 31st, 2008, 05:11
For FS2002 and CFS2, FSUIPC version 2.975 is the right one.

3.0 and higher are for FS2004... and require registering for full usage.

Don't have more than one version in your modules folder.

Here is FSUIPC_2.975:

http://webpages.charter.net/ludowr/FSUIPC_2_975.zip

Dick

OBIO
October 31st, 2008, 07:52
I can't find the RealWeather package you mentioned, Gavinc. Have looked under Jaxon's use name, under Scenery, under Utilities, under Other...and no sign of it.

OBIO

OBIO
October 31st, 2008, 10:06
Found FSUIPC2.9.75 on Simviation.com.

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=misc&file=fsuipc.zip

NOPE! I downloaded versions 2.8.4 and 2.9.75 from Simviation, only to find that both packs actually contain version 3.7.5 (or something like that).

Anyone have a copy of the FSUIPC 2.9.75 they would be willing to send me?

OBIO

gavinc
November 1st, 2008, 08:39
Found FSUIPC2.9.75 on Simviation.com.

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=misc&file=fsuipc.zip

NOPE! I downloaded versions 2.8.4 and 2.9.75 from Simviation, only to find that both packs actually contain version 3.7.5 (or something like that).

Anyone have a copy of the FSUIPC 2.9.75 they would be willing to send me?

OBIO

Check your inbox - yeah I have your email address and am making millions selling it to spam merchants:costumes:
Gavin

gavinc
November 1st, 2008, 08:43
Interesting how two different programs interpret things.
In these 2 shots I started with ActiveSky loaded then paused CFS2, unloaded ActiveSky and loaded FSMetar.
So the 2 shots are only about 3 minutes flying time apart.

Can't read metars myself so don't know which one is more accurate.

Gavin

MaskRider
November 1st, 2008, 09:41
FSMetar and ActiveSky do not seem pick up the same weather stations.

FSMetar seems to be able to contact a wider variety of Metar weather stations.

Next time you do it see if the reporting weather station is the same.

MaskRider
November 1st, 2008, 10:18
For instance: here are two screenies I took while on the ground on Kanton Island. The first shot is using Active Sky. The second is using FSMetar.

ActiveSky uses the metar from Faleolo, Western Samoa- nearly 600 miles away.
FSMetar uses the metar from Funafuti, Tuvalu, only 57 miles away.

The conditions look very similar, but that could be because I didn't clear the weather when switching between AS and FSM- I was just checking to see which metars they were using.

For some reason FSMetar seems to access more metars. I have noticed in the past that AS often ranges far from the CFS2 location to pick up a metar.

Chris

OBIO
November 1st, 2008, 15:25
Check your inbox - yeah I have your email address and am making millions selling it to spam merchants:costumes:
Gavin

Make as much as you can Gavinc, as long as you continue to send me nice presents!

OBIO