PDA

View Full Version : FSX Monitor Selection

jimjones
September 16th, 2009, 08:33
I've been a user of an old Sony CRT monitor, 4 x 3 format, with fading brightness and contrast. Always the dark areas have been too bright, most noticeable when used with FSX at night.

For a few years now, the widescreen LCD monitors have appealed to my desire for something better.

This past week with a few of the importatnt features in mind, such as contrast, resolution, screen format, viewing angle and speed, I spent a few hours at our local BB studying how they looked and performed. My selection turned out to be the LG W2361V, a 23 inch monitor having 16 x 9 format ( 19,200 x 1080 pixels, a contrast ration of 50,000 to 1), a 2 ms speed and a viewing angle of about 160 degrees.

The following are some of my observations, beginning with what I consider a significant drawback. The viewing angle, rated as 160 deg is grossly overstated. At low light screen intensities, such as viewing fsx at night, extraneous side lighting become noticeable by moving ones head just 6 inches to the side and shows disticntly over most of the screen at 160 deg.

But there are features I am really happy about including:

Wide screen, which allows seeing more of the panels, outside scenery, and external plane views using a zoomed out view.

High contrast ratio, brighter image and higher resolution provides super quality views of all fsx graphic features. Simply amazed at the quality of panels and external plane views. I've been so captivated with the improvement, I'm currently going through and enjoying all the planes and sceneries in my collection. The contrast range allows seeing more detail in the fine planes, panels and repaints.

Provided that I stay relatively centered to the screen, the day views are superb. Night views are much better than before and are fine provide the viewing angle to the screen remains nearly perpindicular.

All considered, I'm very pleased.:jump:

Henry
September 16th, 2009, 09:07
i changed from a crt to an lcd
about 6 months ago
i still have the crt 21" Philips
but i use the lcd more
and enjoy it
H

CBris
September 16th, 2009, 09:14
I am now on an Asus 24" wide-screen. I am happy with the results.

Tako_Kichi
September 16th, 2009, 09:41
I have the LG W2242TQ and am very pleased with it. Before that I had an Acer AL2216W which is now on my wife's computer and I liked that one too (although the LG has a better response time and better contrast).

The side lighting issue is common on all LCD screens to some degree and it's not going to go away until they improve LCD technology unfortunately.

Odie
September 16th, 2009, 09:45
I switched to a Dell 24" widescreen and have been happy with it and FSX. Haven't really noticed the lighting concerns that you mention, but I don't fly much at night. Twilight is about as late as I go.

jimjones
September 16th, 2009, 12:46
Thanks gents for your comments. Seems LCDs have their sideview problems in general, but that most like the LCDs more.

I considered buying the Gloss surface, since it appeared to have a higher contrast, but since they only had the display model at all three local stores, got the nonglare screen. Not disappointed though.

DaveKDEN
September 16th, 2009, 13:38
Still love my Samsung 2693HM - 25.5" 16x10 widescreen LCD! Might go up to a 30" 16x9 widescreen next, provided the price and specs are right. Likely to wait and see what happens with OLED's over the next couple of years though.

gera
September 16th, 2009, 14:15
If you can get hold of two 19" wide sceen monitors I would recomend them to all, easy to connect and great views for VC and the outdoors......they are so cheap its a steal.......I am going to four by christmas. "Santa did you get my letter!!!!??????":running::running:

d0mokun
September 16th, 2009, 14:23
Another vote for the HM2693 here- I use a set of them at work and they are great monitors. If you want a prettier and cheaper version, the T260 is a fine monitor also.

idancesafetydance
September 16th, 2009, 15:40
If you can afford it, get a Dell S2209W or S230something, IMO Dell makes the best LCD's. I got a S2209W.. wow, response time is great, contrast is over alot
1000+:1, brightness is great, and it's at 1920x1080 at 1080P.