PDA

View Full Version : Renault takes the blame, Briatore and Symonds out.

Ferry_vO
September 16th, 2009, 06:59
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-briatore-symonds-out-at-renault/

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-fia-to-act-on-renault-driver-management/

demorier
September 17th, 2009, 00:57
They sure are a restless lot in F1.

wombat666
September 17th, 2009, 02:59
I'll lay even money that Renault will not be on the 2010 grid!
Not 'restless' either, just plain bloody stupid.
:a1451:

Wing_Z
September 20th, 2009, 20:51
Sport + Megabucks = ...
They get power-crazed after a bit I guess.
The cars, the girls, the boats, the girls, the planes, the girls...you get jaded and push the envelope.
Tabloid fodder...

wombat666
September 21st, 2009, 05:50
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9953.html

Two-year suspended ban for Renault over Singapore conspiracy.
:173go1:

Cazzie
September 21st, 2009, 06:21
Date: Monday, September 21, 2009, 8:06 AM

The World Motor Sports Council imposed the following sanctions:

1. Life time ban on Briatore to enter any FIA event or series or to have a credential of any kind; no driver represented by him will be eligible for a super license.

2. Five year ban for Symonds.

3. Renault F1 team received a two year disqualification, suspended, subject to no further offenses. Will pay all legal and associated costs.

4. Renault corporate to provide a substantial contribution in the use of their crash testing facilities for road car safety purposes.

5. Alonso was found to have no involvement in the conspiracy. Piquet Jr.'s immunity prevented any further sanctions.

Wing_Z
September 21st, 2009, 16:06
Wow...don't think that has ever happened?
Rumour that Flavio and Max Mosely are starting a new business venture, using some of Max's castoff leather goods. ;)

EasyEd
September 21st, 2009, 16:45
Hey All,

So what is the punishment/penalty? I see nothing that "hurts". Must be in league with corporate CEOs.

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
September 21st, 2009, 19:41
Hey All,

So what is the punishment/penalty? I see nothing that "hurts". Must be in league with corporate CEOs.

-Ed-

--> http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-text-of-world-motor-sport-council-renault-decision/
--> http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-briatore-banned-as-renault-escapes/

EasyEd
September 22nd, 2009, 16:47
Hey All,

So Panther once again

So what is the punishment/penalty? I see nothing that "hurts".

They lose an old guy who was a problem anyway and a flunkie and nothing else - no fine no ban no park nothing. Anybody who actually believes only 3 guys concocted and carried out the plot well I've got ocean front property in Arizona for you. Looks to me like another cover-up don't mess with the money flow and keep a former champion on the grid just like they protected guilty as heck Hamilton earlier this year. Are there no ethics or sense of punishment in F1 whatsoever? Europeans have far stronger stomachs for this kind of stuff than I do.

-Ed-

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
September 22nd, 2009, 19:57
EasyEd,
The biggest farce in this case was pointed out by former F1 driver Martin Brundle...

He wanted to know why the driver (Nelson Pique Jr.) wasn't punished in that this whole scenario could've been avoided if Piquet Jr. had simply said "no"....

And finally, the FIA World Motor Sports Council that made the decsion includes an American Vice-President & along with other members from Latin America & Asia - so please don't point the finger at Europeans :)

noddy
September 23rd, 2009, 04:26
When was Piquet told to do this, I presume before the race as if it happened during the race the radios are monitored?

Ferry_vO
September 23rd, 2009, 05:58
He wanted to know why the driver (Nelson Pique Jr.) wasn't punished in that this whole scenario could've been avoided if Piquet Jr. had simply said "no"....

Well if two of the biggest names in F1 come up to you and tell you to crash your car so the other driver can win the race, and if you do, we will discuss your seat for next year, what would you do? Briatore never cared much for the reputation of his drivers, and Piquet probably knew very well that Briatore could make sure he would never drive F1 again if he said no.

Interesting sidenote: Briatore was also the manager of Webber, Grosjean and Kovalainen who all will need to find a new manager, and Briatore might also have to sell his share in the English football club Queenspark rangers because he is banned in another sport!

Since Flavio was both the manager of his drivers and the Renault teamboss he could hire his own drivers, negotiate their salary and then take a percentage of that for himself!

Anyway I'm glad Renault as a company was not punished for this as it was the action of two people and they both left before the hearing.

Panther_99FS
September 23rd, 2009, 16:44
Well if two of the biggest names in F1 come up to you and tell you to crash your car so the other driver can win the race, and if you do, we will discuss your seat for next year, what would you do?

Considering that I'd be risking personal injury to myself by deliberately crashing, personally, I would've told Briatore & company "No".....

But the question of an unpunished driver originated from Martin Brundle, not me.....:)

EasyEd
September 23rd, 2009, 17:02
Hey All,

Panther I have nothing against Europe at all - in fact without Europe there would be no America - my comment was directed at the fact that what continent has the largest percentage (of total population) as F1 fans - how do they tolerate this? That is what I was getting at.

As far as this being the work of two (or three) people - perhaps so although I doubt it. Why? Well lets presume it was the work of 2 or 3 people for a moment. It happened how many months ago? I don't for a moment believe that it was a secret among only those 3 for the months afterward. I think the whole team knew. Yet none of them came forward as a whistleblower. This tells me none of them have any ethics. In fact renault admitting they did this without at first a vigorous protest that no we didn't - tells me they knew. Yet they kept it secret and hoped it would never be revealed - the whole bunch of them. Like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar it was only upon being caught that they came "clean" - they never intended to. Since they have no ethics to come forward immediately upon learning of this why believe it that only 3 knew about it in the first place. They are all guilty as heck and they didn't get punished. What is the message to every other team in F1? Maybe they all cheat and it's only when they are particularly stupid that they get caught. Ya think?

As for who is on the FIA committee I bet the American doesn't have the last name France!

-Ed-

wombat666
September 25th, 2009, 04:50
What do you suggest Ed, a hit squad visiting the Renault management???

Renault are operating under a two year suspended ban, one flicker of anything out of the ordinary and they are in big trouble.

As for Briatore, he has always been a crook, now we are finally rid of him.
The members of the Renault F1 team would have been intimidated by him for a start, and in fact, one individual did come forward to Renault, known as 'Witness X'.
Renault as a company employed Briatore to run the team formerly known as Bentton under their name, as a result they have received the type of publicity that any business can ill afford, hardly something one could consider as 'unpunished'.
I'm not convinced that the amnesty allowed to Piquet Junior was a wise move, but at least he's now unemployable.

I would make an observation about NASCAR and all those squeaky clean people who have been part of it, Henry 'Smokey' Yunick, cheater extraordinary.
:173go1:
"As for who is on the FIA committee I bet the American doesn't have the last name France!"
One thing to be very thankful for!!!!

Ferry_vO
September 25th, 2009, 08:40
Two major sponsors have retracted their support and money from the Renault team now, and Piquet is apparently looking for a job in the US. Plenty of walls to hit there! :d