PDA

View Full Version : I'm MAD!

Wulf190
September 16th, 2009, 00:46
I drive a beat-up 1994 plymoth Voyager mini-van with a 3.0L 6cyl engine automatic. I've driven the thing for 8 years, and it has been great for what it has been for me. Cheap transportation.

....but it has been anything but reliable and this year its at it's worst!

I have dumped at least $3000 in to the thing this year. Timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, calipers, fixing a part on the engine to solve the stalling issue goes on and on...

...well I was going to work this afternoon and on the way to work the engine was surging on me going up a ramp at 50mph. Did the same while going though a by-street at 20mph.

So tonight I was driving home seeing if it would do it again, and sure enough it did...

..so I continued to drive around to try to see if there was any correlation so I could tell my mechanic and get it fixed. While doing that I was going to finally head home since it wasn't doing it any more and I was turning through an intersection when it started to surge, then stalled and died on me, while I was in the intersection! OF ALL PLACES!:gameoff:

...A cop saw the whole display, and I even saw him pull around and behind me, and sure enough I was pulled over, which I can understand way...

...The guy was really nice dealing with me being so flustered about my car and about being pulled over and let me go.

But now I'm just ticked off at this car! I just about put my foot through the rear bumper kicking the thing.

Out of curiosity is there a vacuum-line that pulls power from the engine to drive the brakes at all? Reason I ask is that this started happening on Saturday, just 24 hours after I got the brakes done. My car was making a terrible hissing noise when the engine was on and they said this fixed if for me. But now I'm wondering if they caused another problem.....

....I need to blow something up....

rant off

Panther_99FS
September 16th, 2009, 03:27
Ack!
I sympathize with you - car problems bite!

Snuffy
September 16th, 2009, 03:49
Actually "MAD" is a psychological thing. :icon_lol:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
When it involves human feelings and emotions, the terminology is "angry!" :)<o:p></o:p>
Dogs go mad, people get angry!<o:p></o:p>
Sorry about your plight though, glad the officer was understanding.

Milton Shupe
September 16th, 2009, 03:50
Things to consider:

1. Vacuum modulator for the transmission
2. Any vacuum hoses on the engine
3. Engine PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation)

tobob
September 16th, 2009, 04:18
The brake booster could be driven by vacuum as well. Though I don't think it would cause a surge. If it was failing you would notice having to use more muscle to stop the vehicle.

Another thought would be any anti-lock brake sensor issues.

OBIO
September 16th, 2009, 07:38
Your description sounds exactly like how my neighbor described his Dodge Caravan (which was a 94 as well) acting. He tinkered, fixed, replaced, scratched his head for months. Turns out it was his computer thingiemajig going out. He got one from a junk yard, swapped it out for the original one...and the van ran like gang busters again.

OBIO

Lionheart
September 16th, 2009, 09:55
Make sure you do not have water on the electronics. (If its been raining and this happened, this could be causing it). Sounds wacky, but its happened to me.

Also, yes, it could be a vacum line. The engine 'moves' when you give it gas. The motor mounts allow the engine perhaps 2+ inches of movement. The sideways mounted Chryslers of that era will do this (I had 3 Lasers back then, same drivetrains). Some ways to look for the air leak, if thats whats going on, is to listen for whistles, moving some of the air/vacum lines around to see if you can cause a whistle to occur. Some guys use starter fluid spray (for cars, for spraying in carburetors). You can spray it around vacum lines to see if you get a 'revving' up of the engine, which would be your leak. Just be careful with a hot engine. You dont wish to start a fire.

They can be hard to track down. A good Chrysler mechanic can usually track one down fast. Brian, my ex-brother in law was one awesome Chrysler mechanic. He knew all the tricks.

I loved those minivans. Great machines.

Bill

Willy
September 16th, 2009, 15:15
Out of curiosity is there a vacuum-line that pulls power from the engine to drive the brakes at all?

Yep, that's what provides the power for your power brakes. It might be as simple as the hose connection is loose.

Trans_23
September 16th, 2009, 17:18
Try this forum. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=139

I was having problems with a Ford Windstar I used to own. My mechanic chased the problem for a while. Not long after reading the threads it was evident that my problem was not unusual for Windstars and one of the posters actually posted a thread with specific instuctions and pictures of how to fix it. The EGR ports in the intake manifold were almost totally clogged with carbon choking all the cylinders of air. It took me about a half of a day to remove the upper intake manifold and clean the ports. The car ran like new after that. I also belong to an F-150 forum that has helped me in the past and is always a good source of information. I try to fix what I can myself if possible.

Good luck with your van!

Ashaman
September 17th, 2009, 03:11
All my sympathies. While my ancient BMW 318i year 84 (that like yours for you, it gives me cheap enough long range transportation... long range because here in italy, with our gasoline that is among the most expensive in the whole planet at about 1.40 € per liter, of which 1 € and more is taxes, only long range drive is justified, if you aren't Berlusconi-like filthy rich) is still working sufficiently reliably, it has begun burning oil, and I just know problems are just around the corner. :kilroy:

Emil Frand
September 17th, 2009, 06:10
Dude, get rid of it! how much more are you going to throw away to keep this thing on the road? You already spent more than 3 times its value keeping it running, give up and move on:monkies:

Brian_Gladden
September 17th, 2009, 11:17
I drive a beat-up 1994 plymoth Voyager mini-van with a 3.0L 6cyl engine automatic.

No offense.... But that's half the problem right there. I wouldn't own a early to late 90's Mopar if you paid me to. I had a 91 Dakota that was a money pit. I traded my 86 Thunderbird in for it. I don't have the Dakota anymore (Rear brakes every 3,000 miles, new 5-Speed, etc.) But I know where my old T-bird is and it's still running with over 400,000 miles on it!

Your van is probably worth $500. Putting $3000 into it is a waste of money. You could have bought a decent used ride for that and not had to do anything but regular maintenance.

Just my $0.02

Brian