PDA

View Full Version : Weird RAM/Memory obervations...

grunau_baby
September 12th, 2009, 05:19
when I recently tried to reinstall my four DVD VFR Germany 1 photoscenery I ended up with a prompt that I ran out of Memory just at the end of DVD 4. I repeated this several times, still the same. I reduced the strain on my Memory, changed the settings of virtual memory to and fro. Still the same!!! Couldnīt install!

Then I recalled I enhanced my RAM-usage for Vista to use more system RAM which worked great. I put this back to default - less memory! And it worked again, moreover I seemed to notice an increase of speed/fps in FSX, too! Strange stuff!

BTW: throwing out the custom autogen from that scenery (leaving only the trees, Landmarks and airports as objects on the photomesh) really increased my fps. With a full install using the custom houses - even with low autogen density - the scenery was a framehog like no other!

Sometimes things donīt have to be logically based to work!
Alex

dswo
September 12th, 2009, 06:14
BTW: throwing out the custom autogen from that scenery (leaving only the trees, Landmarks and airports as objects on the photomesh

How did you do that?

grunau_baby
September 12th, 2009, 06:34
Iīm tricky:icon_lol: The scenery ads new autogen descriptions into the autogen.xml file. I backed up the file and installed VFR1. I simply deacitvated the new changed file and replaced it with my backup version. The scenery now isnīt able to place any autogen buildings, cause the specific lines are missing!

Alex

LTCSZ
September 12th, 2009, 06:53
I am having OOM problems also...Could you list your memory settings/details for me...I'm willing to try anything! Thanks...

Steve in Kansas

grunau_baby
September 12th, 2009, 07:06
To enhance the memory usage of your OS type the command line "cmd". A DOS window will open. Add the lines:
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072
then press enter. Now your system is able to use 1 GB more RAM.

To return to default simply type:
bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa
enter again.

I went back to use default system memory again, since the enhancement obviously changed my memory usage to the worst.

Alex

abrussell
September 12th, 2009, 09:08
The UserVa setting changes the virtual address space available for programs. It has nothing to do with Ram memory.
Bruce

LTCSZ
September 12th, 2009, 09:46
So, is this setting worth trying or using? Thanks...

Steve

harleyman
September 12th, 2009, 10:02
So, is this setting worth trying or using? Thanks...

Steve

The short version........Yes...

But there is a reason for your problem as it was not happening before...

maybe you got a install that went funky...Like scenery, planes, or the like....

LTCSZ
September 12th, 2009, 10:18
My basic OOM problem seems to be solved...Harlyman, your PM jogged something in the back of my dusty brain...I deleted the fsx.cfg file and let the program rebuild it...For some reason, that seems to have solved the problem...I am now just looking for ways to maximize the performance...So, I will try this setting and let you all know what happens...Any suggestions on maximizing RAM are still welcome!

Steve

Bjoern
September 12th, 2009, 12:24
So, is this setting worth trying or using?

Not if you're using a x64 OS.

LTCSZ
September 12th, 2009, 13:58
Nope...x32

grunau_baby
September 12th, 2009, 23:46
The UserVa setting changes the virtual address space available for programs. It has nothing to do with Ram memory.Correct, I mixed that up a bit.

Since the settings started to turn out slowing my system down lately I will try different settings to find out whatīs really best for my performance. Just strange it all went well and all of a sudden performance drops or produces malfunctions with this settings.

Alex

abrussell
September 13th, 2009, 09:35
Nickn at SimForums has some userva info here.
Bruce

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041