PDA

View Full Version : microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2

mb71
September 11th, 2009, 17:14
Is anybody here using this joystick on a vista 64 system? If so, how do I sinstall and where can I find the drivers. If not, any recomendations for a new stick? Sorry if I seem a bit slow, just made the FSX conversion.

spotlope
September 11th, 2009, 17:53
I have a Win7 64-bit installation, and I didn't need any drivers to make my Sidewinder FFB work. Are you sure they're necessary?

mb71
September 11th, 2009, 18:29
I don't really know, I put the install disk in the dvd drive and after it started in auto run, I got a warning message "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher." That's why I asked about drivers. That was as far as the install process would allow.

Rich
September 11th, 2009, 18:40
I am using that stick in FSX win XP, driver install not needed I think FSX has its own, if you get a rough ride on the ground check the aircraft.cfg has a Forcefeedback section, that is the ground FF not flight FF which is/was in the airfile pre FSX, now you seem to have flight FF even with no entry in the airfile.

spotlope
September 11th, 2009, 18:55
Oh yeah, I've seen that error before too. You don't need to install anything for the stick to work.

mb71
September 11th, 2009, 19:12
Hey thanks for the info guy's. I'll go and give it a try

kilo delta
September 12th, 2009, 03:28
I'm using the same stick in Vista Ultimate 64bit. No need for additional drivers as they're pre-installed in Vista.:wavey:

cfso002
September 12th, 2009, 06:42
FFB2, in XP, with it's original driver, you can set feedback force and center force in 4 level, you can also set some force reaction for different key on the stick.

But this driver DOESN`T work since Vista, it even can`t install in Vista, and I think it would be same in Win 7 (I havn`t tried to install the XP driver in win7).

just like above reply, Vista and Win7 both have a default driver for MS sticks, including FFB2, P2(precion 2). you can use the stick without installing the original driver(which comes with the stick and only works in XP) , and the funtion of feedback force tuning GONE.

the keys, hat, and throttle , axis , all works fine in WIN7+FSX.

majorv
September 12th, 2009, 06:58
I am using the Microsoft Sidewinder FFB 2 on my Vista 32-bit installation. The MS drivers were written for Windows 98 and will not install on Vista (tried all the tricks - run as Administrator, all possible compatibility modes, etc., etc.). Yes the stick will function with FFB using the native Vista drivers, but you cannot fine tune the FFB forces as needed. For example, the centering tension is always on at 100% - this gives the stick a very unrealistic feel, causing it to jerk back to center when it is deflected. Not good. With the MS drivers, you could turn this off or dial it down.

I combed the internets looking for a fix and stumbled upon a great FREE utility on the FS Force website called ForceTest:

http://www.dirks-software.ca/fs-force/support.htm

It allows you to fine tune your FFB forces on the Sidewinder. You can even disable the centering tension (check the box then UNcheck it and leave it running while you run FSX). Thanks to Dirks Software for making this available to the world.

By the way, FS Force is a payware application designed specifically for FSX which allows you to customize every aspect of your FFB joystick for each plane. There is a free demo that allows you to test it out in FSX at KSEA. It offers much better FFB control than even the original MS drivers, and I highly recommend it to all Sidewinder owners.