PDA

View Full Version : Small Potatoes but it's a start

falcon409
September 11th, 2009, 16:52
Powered up FSDS3.5 and started playing. . .I haven't progressed very far, but I wanted to do a sign I could add to the airport at Tangier Island. . .Only problem is, the object is available for Instant Scenery, but doesn't display. Oh well.

kjb
September 11th, 2009, 18:53
Did you compile it as a bgl or mdl file? The bgl version would require lat/lon and heading info compiled with it to place the model. The other option is to compile it to a mdl file. Create a library with the Library Maker and add the model(s), then use Instant Scenery to place it.

falcon409
September 11th, 2009, 19:13
Did you compile it as a bgl or mdl file? The bgl version would require lat/lon and heading info compiled with it to place the model. The other option is to compile it to a mdl file. Create a library with the Library Maker and add the model(s), then use Instant Scenery to place it.
Yep, fixed that part, now I need to look at the bmp for the sign and get that in the right format, lol. . . .baby steps.

kjb
September 11th, 2009, 19:41
Imagetool is in the SDK. Open the bmp with it and save it as a DXT1 and it should work.

falcon409
September 11th, 2009, 20:12
Yep. . .Welcome!

Boomer
September 11th, 2009, 20:21
Now you cooking with gas Ed! :)

falcon409
September 11th, 2009, 20:27
Yep, by no means a major breakthrough, but if I can keep working small objects, eventually I'll work up to something that surprises even me, lol.

kjb
September 11th, 2009, 20:43
Sometimes the big objects are simpler than the small ones :applause:

The textures can be more of a problem. I wish I was better at that.

falcon409
September 11th, 2009, 21:35
Sometimes the big objects are simpler than the small ones. The textures can be more of a problem. I wish I was better at that.
Yea, I did another sign idea I had and drew a disk which I envisioned to look like it was cut out of 1/4" plywood, but the disk in FSDS has no dimension to it. . .it's like cutting it out of .025 aluminum, lol. I discovered that it has no front or back (obviously if you look at it as a piece of sheet metal) it only has a top and bottom, so applying texture was fruitless as it just looked like something had been painted on the sign.

I need some blast fences for NAS Ft Worth, so I'll set to work to produce those in the morning. Nothing out there is made the way ours are made, so this way I can construct something that actually looks as it should.

Lionheart
September 11th, 2009, 22:15
Its the small details that make a scenery look awesome!

Awesome work Ed!

Bill

kjb
September 11th, 2009, 22:27
Then there's LODs...they're something you'll want to think about, especially if the poly count gets high.