PDA

View Full Version : New ETO 1.0 and 1.2 installation guide

hairyspin
September 8th, 2009, 11:34
A new guide to installing ETO 1.0 and 1.2 is now available in the CFS3 Other downloads. This collaboration between Grizzly50 and myself compiles information from the ETO Expansion Download Links, Comments, Questions sticky and the instructions supplied with ETO and includes many screenshots to guide the user through the process.

I'm not saying the official instructions are faulty - all you need is there - but many of our new visitors are less familiar with file and folder fiddling than some of us. This guide was compiled to help them get up and running more easily with ETO.

The same questions keep cropping up in the sticky thread:-

I've got lots of add-ons installed to CFS3 - do I have to dump the lot?
I made a mess of it and reinstalled ETO and it still doesn't work, help!
Why doesn't ETO work on my Vista system?
I can't get ETO to run anything but Attack in the West '40!
and I hope this guide will help answer them and lift some of the burden from rbp71854 and Ursa Major himself, Grizzly50, who has worn out several keyboards and his annual PM quota answering cries for help. :icon_lol:

Main topics covered are:-

I want to keep my existing CFS3 (using MultiCFS3)
Installing ETO
Editing ETO Batch files
If it goes wrong
Deleting a faulty installation
Updating ETO to version 1.20
Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 (pre-release) are all covered, as are the 64-bit versions. The guide is a single .pdf file - all you need is Acrobat Reader to view.

eto_installation_guide.zip -- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileType=cfs3-utilities#download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileType=cfs3-utilities#download)

Many thanks to those who contributed to the sticky:-
0-1Driver, Grizzly50, rbp71854, Talon, cristiano103, middle, Tailwind
- and others.

Should you spot a mistake in this guide - LET ME KNOW PRONTO! Thanks!

CrisGer
September 12th, 2009, 12:00
thank you for this, i plan to intall ETO and MAW soon, on seperate installs and this will be a big help. thanks so much for doing this.

marklaur
September 24th, 2009, 00:55
Just downloaded thanks.

I just increased my bandwidth and downloaded both ETO & PTO.

Any help I can get to get all the expansions working is very appreciated.
I think I will run out of hard disk space next.

Cheers MarkL

Pat Pattle
September 24th, 2009, 03:18
What a fab thing to do! Great work chaps. :engel016::engel016:

Rex
September 30th, 2009, 03:02
I am new here and perhaps I am wrong. I went to the 'other' section for the download instructions on 1 and 1.2. I could only find the guide that said it was for both. I followed the instructions to the letter.

I successfully managed to get two separate installs. Thank you. However. I am unable to get that 1.20 version in there.

First off. Your instructions say nothing about what the 'readmefirst' is talking about when it says 'Note: Be sure to place your CFS3 ETO Expansion Theater in Era 1 and select Stock Spawn Mode before installing this Update'.

I have no Idea what an Era is nor do I know anything about spawning modes.

I am running Vista.

Please help. I have gone to the trouble of dusting off my CFS2 and 3 when I discovered this site. I am eager to play on line after all these years of thinking that no one played.

DOS MAXIMUS
September 30th, 2009, 03:20
I am new here and perhaps I am wrong. I went to the 'other' section for the download instructions on 1 and 1.2. I could only find the guide that said it was for both. I followed the instructions to the letter.

I successfully managed to get two separate installs. Thank you. However. I am unable to get that 1.20 version in there.

First off. Your instructions say nothing about what the 'readmefirst' is talking about when it says 'Note: Be sure to place your CFS3 ETO Expansion Theater in Era 1 and select Stock Spawn Mode before installing this Update'.

I am running Vista.

Please help. I have gone to the trouble of dusting off my CFS2 and 3 when I discovered this site. I am eager to play on line after all these years of thinking that no one played.HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GETTING STARTED AT BEST
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon14.gif Attention VISTA users!!! (Shell.exe is NOT needed)
This is a copy from previous threads (and post). How do I apply a Sticky on this so it doesn't disappear? Thanks.

If you had read all the posts I've presented (it was a continuing and learning process), it didn't take long to figure this out. After doing series of tests on ETO and Game Ranger, I had posted a ***warning*** under ETO 1.02 Multiplaying in VISTA thread here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ead.php?t=8334 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=8334)

From this experience, you could see why I have come to this conclusion...

Once again, I apologize for those who went all the trouble in installing OFF Phase 2, just to get that Shell.exe file. It has come to my realization is that you don't really need the Shell.exe in order to make the multiplaying work under VISTA.

Read this carefully:

HOW TO PLAY MULTIPLAYING FOR THE ORIGINAL
MICROSOFT COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 3
UNDER VISTA

This is only applied for VISTA users, XP users do NOT need it to host or join servers for VISTA players.
Requires just the original CFS3 only!

Here what you do to make it work for the CFS3:

Copy the cfs3.exe from your CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3) and paste it into a different folder. Under this different folder, rename this cfs3.exe (by right-clicking the mouse button to select 'Rename') into whatever name you choose--like cfs3mp.exe, cfs3vista.exe, vistacfs3.exe, etc..

Suppose, you renamed it cfs3mp.exe. Now, cut this new cfs3mp.exe back into the main CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3).

Next, make a shortcut on your desktop to browse for the cfs3mp.exe under your CFS3 folder. Once the shortcut is created, right-click the mouse button on the shortcut to bring up the 'Properties'. Click on 'Properties'. Select the tab, 'Compatibility', and then check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)' under Compatibility mode.

Try that---join a mutiplaying server.

If CFS3 doesn't start correctly, try running it as an administrator either by:

1) Right-clicking the shortcut icon again and choose 'Run as adminstrator'
or
2) Check 'Run this program as an adminstrator' under Privilege Level which is also located under the tab, 'Compatibility', in 'Properties'.

That's it!

The Shell.exe was actually probably a stock cfs3.exe renamed. It was only modified by its name!

By following the complete instructions from above, just rename the cfs3.exe into whatever name you choose from the top of your head. Once again, you could try sample names like vista.exe, cfs3vista.exe, vistacfs3.exe, cfs3mp.exe, whale.exe, etc., as long it's not cfs3.exe!

Once again, thanks for my beta testers and those who has and still continued to spread the words...

Thank you. LUCKY FOR MANY VISTA USERS DEATMEAT CAME UP WITH THIS FIX

grizzly50
September 30th, 2009, 05:39

I am running Vista.

Please help. I have gone to the trouble of dusting off my CFS2 and 3 when I discovered this site. I am eager to play on line after all these years of thinking that no one played.

:kilroy:Rex, first of all, we need to know what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to install CFS3 for online play only, or are you trying to install something else?

Stock CFS3 installation is pretty straight-forward.

In order to install one of the various add-on, stand-alone games, like CFS3 ETO Expansion (available here, after copying this link into your internet browser: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=10, you first need to have a stock CFS3 install already in place. This stock CFS3 install must be clean, unmodded, and fully updated (3.1 and 3.1a, available here: http://www.microsoft.com/Games/combatfs3/).

If you are just looking to install stock CFS3 for online play, simply install CFS3 normally, then fully update it with the above-mentioned updates from MS.

As DOS MAXIMUS has already posted, and as you are a Vista user, you must also read Post #1 in this thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=9007. Follow the instructions exactly, and then you should be able to play only in IP games.:d

Rex
September 30th, 2009, 08:58
Thank you for 'bear'ing with me gentlemen.

What I am trying to do is install the ETO 1.2. Once all is said and done, and that is after I do the little redo of the start icon thingy, I get a message saying 'common DLL cannot be found'.

I know I am getting closer becouse I have not seen this message before I changes the .exe icon.

I applied what you told me to the eto expansion file and got a little further ahead... I think.

Now I have this no 'common .DLL' problem. Maybe one more shove will get my fat ass over the fence. Whadaya think?

Once again. Thank you.

Rex
September 30th, 2009, 14:41
I almost forgot: Avast is showing two viruses in the ETO 1.2 program. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I downloaded it twice and have had the same results. I reported them as false positives. I hope I am correct.

grizzly50
September 30th, 2009, 15:33
I almost forgot: Avast is showing two viruses in the ETO 1.2 program. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I downloaded it twice and have had the same results. I reported them as false positives. I hope I am correct.

:kilroy:Rex, you are quite correct. They are false positives. You may also want to try tell your AV program to ignore or exclude them. They are the ETO BDP Zapper and the ETO Backup.:d

Rex
September 30th, 2009, 20:06
Thank you for Bearing with me.

It is installed and seems to work so far.:applause:

Slingshot
October 26th, 2009, 13:26
I have a CFS3 with the ETO added to my Computer, with only one small problem! When I hit F5, to desplay the line of guages accross the botom of the Screen, The speed guage is relaced by a direction guage, give my 2 direction guages and no speed guage. It works normal in straight CFS3, just that problem with the ETO.

Where would I find the way to fix that problem in ETO?

grizzly50
October 26th, 2009, 13:32
I have a CFS3 with the ETO added to my Computer, with only one small problem! When I hit F5, to desplay the line of guages accross the botom of the Screen, The speed guage is relaced by a direction guage, give my 2 direction guages and no speed guage. It works normal in straight CFS3, just that problem with the ETO.

Where would I find the way to fix that problem in ETO?

:kilroy:Slingshot, it's the same as in CFS3, MAW, PTO, and KS.

Here, starting from the left-most gauge:

HUD (Toggle) - F5
HUD Gauge 1 (Cycle) - Ctrl + Shft + 1
HUD Gauge 2 (Cycle) - Ctrl + Shft + 2
HUD Gauge 3 (Cycle) - Ctrl + Shft + 3
HUD Gauge 4 (Cycle) - Ctrl + Shft + 4
HUD Gauge 5 (Cycle) - Ctrl + Shft + 5

There's nothing wrong with ETO.:d

Lightman
October 27th, 2009, 14:20
Hello Slingshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/combat/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=278124#post278124)
I have strange problem With ETO. It is minor but very irritating. In all ways but this it works perfect. The problem when you hit F5 to display a line of guages on the bottom of the screen, My speed guage is replaced by a Direction guage. It means I have 2 direction guages but no speed guage in that mode. Any Idea about the problem and how to fix it? My standard CFS3 works perfect in that mode.

YOU can cycle through your HUD gauges by holding down Ctrl & Shift at the same time and use the numbers
1 - 5 on your keyboard (Not the numbers pad to the right ) to change the guages,

"Example"

Press F5 to bring up your gauges

If my first gauge (#1) is showing the direction gauge, and i have the same one showing for my fourth gauge (#4) and i want to change the first gauge (#1) to show my speed gauge, i would hold down Ctrl & Shift at the same time and keep pressing the 1 key on my keyboard (below F1 and above Q ) untill it brings up the gauge i want.
Hope this helps

rbursch
November 5th, 2009, 11:49
First of all I would like to thank you all for the wonderful job going in to creating this wonderful add-on ETO Expansion 1.0 and 1.2, thank you again. I succesfully was able to install v.1.0 folllowing the installation guide. But I then encountered a difficulty to install v 1.20 from my ETO Expansion 1.0. I had downloaded ETO 1.20 from "aussies". So far so good, but then when I clicked on the icon to get v 1.20 installed I would not see this pop-up to which I have to agree to the terms and conditions. I had followed step by step the installation guide as I did when installing v 1.0 but somehow I didn't manage. Can anyone please help me, what I am doing wrong? thanks for your support,
kind regards, Raymond Bursch in Switzerland

rbursch
November 9th, 2009, 10:10
Hi everybody,

I finally made it out by myself. I have installed v1.2 and would like to thank all contributors very heartly for this wonderful mod. It's just the best. I am a great friend of simulations and have one of my favorite games installed Silent Hunter 3 and Silent Hunter 4 modded up to its extent and these guys to are just great. Imagine to take all this time and trouble to give so much pleasure to many such users as myself who does not no much about modding. I am sure that all this respect to the details of which you are giving in optimising the historical reality to the men back in WW2 who were killed in action is a sort of a memorial or a statue in honor of ther brave deeds. Once more thank you very much!

I hope to meet you some time in the skies. But first I will have to take some flying lessons and find out how to join in multplayer.

All my best to you all :guinness:
Raymond Bursch in Switzerland

chriseponymous
November 18th, 2009, 09:52
Im having a little difficulty installing ETO onto my new system. I have the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and have followed the install guide to the word but Im still having troubles with my install. I have altered all the installation paths to include (x86) and edited both batch files but it still remains stuck in era one. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

hairyspin
November 18th, 2009, 12:05
It still remains stuck? Did you edit all the paths in the two batch files before running ETO? If you didn't, the era files are already corrupt and no batch file edit is going to save them, sorry! I made the same mistake and had to reinstall the lot again.

At least with that hot new rig it won't take long to redo...

chriseponymous
November 18th, 2009, 22:44
Yeah I did corrupt it the first time I installed it so that prompted to use the wonderful guide from this site and start again. Will have another go today and see if it happens again. Cheers

chriseponymous
November 19th, 2009, 02:51
I tried downloading the ETO files again to see if that would make a differences but Im afraid not. When I select a different era and push enter I can just about the message "Access denied" flash up. It then goes to the "Welcome to the Global layer swapper..." screen. It is just the two batch files that need altering or could it be due the settings on my PC?

hairyspin
November 19th, 2009, 10:36
One thing occurs from your earlier post - are you filling in the install path as

C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\ etc
or as
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\ etc.

The difference is not obvious, but there should be a single space between Files and (x86). This would make a big difference between the Era swapper working and failing completely.

Hope this helps. :wavey:

swpierce
December 10th, 2009, 06:21
I downloaded the 1.20 update and unzipped the file. When I attempt to run the
program CFS3 ETO Expansion Cumalative Update Rev 1.20.exe
I do not get the window shown in the installation guide, but a much smaller window that states:

OZx2Gp will download CFS3 ETO Expansion Cumulative Update 1.20 to your computer.
Click the File button to change where to save the file on your computer, or Next to continue.

The default in the Save To window is:
My Documents\CFS3_ETO_Expansion_Cumulative_Update_1.2 0.zip

What do you think I should do?

rbp71854
December 10th, 2009, 06:30
Download and save the .zip file to the location that you archive your add on files. Next unzip the zip file and then install per the installation guide.

I downloaded the 1.20 update and unzipped the file. When I attempt to run the
program CFS3 ETO Expansion Cumalative Update Rev 1.20.exe
I do not get the window shown in the installation guide, but a much smaller window that states:

OZx2Gp will download CFS3 ETO Expansion Cumulative Update 1.20 to your computer.
Click the File button to change where to save the file on your computer, or Next to continue.

The default in the Save To window is:
My Documents\CFS3_ETO_Expansion_Cumulative_Update_1.2 0.zip

What do you think I should do?

swpierce
December 11th, 2009, 06:34
Download and save the .zip file to the location that you archive your add on files. Next unzip the zip file and then install per the installation guide.

Thanks for the reply rbp. What you have here is exactly what I am doing, but the window that pops up is not the one shown in the installation guide. The window that does pop up is labeled "Save To -- OZx2Go". I have tried re-downloading the zip file from the website and re-doing the un-zip several times with the same result.

rbp71854
December 11th, 2009, 09:01
Let me see if I can explain and walk you through the sequence.

When you download from OZ you are 1st downloading ETO_CFS3_120.zip which is a download helper/manager. You unzip that and then have ETO CFS3 120 OZx2Go OZx.exe. Make sure you are 1st connected to the internet and then doubleclick to start the download of the actual 1.20 update named CFS3_ETO_Expansion_Cumulative_Update 1.20.zip. Save this file to the location of your archived addons. Unzip/extract via winzip or by right clicking the file and then follow the directions of the install package by doubleclicking the CFS3_ETO_Expansion_Cumulative_Update 1.20.exe

Hope that helps
Bob

Thanks for the reply rbp. What you have here is exactly what I am doing, but the window that pops up is not the one shown in the installation guide. The window that does pop up is labeled "Save To -- OZx2Go". I have tried re-downloading the zip file from the website and re-doing the un-zip several times with the same result.

swpierce
December 11th, 2009, 19:14
Let me see if I can explain and walk you through the sequence.

When you download from OZ you are 1st downloading ETO_CFS3_120.zip which is a download helper/manager. You unzip that and then have ETO CFS3 120 OZx2Go OZx.exe. Make sure you are 1st connected to the internet and then doubleclick to start the download of the actual 1.20 update named CFS3_ETO_Expansion_Cumulative_Update 1.20.zip. Save this file to the location of your archived addons. Unzip/extract via winzip or by right clicking the file and then follow the directions of the install package by doubleclicking the CFS3_ETO_Expansion_Cumulative_Update 1.20.exe

Hope that helps
Bob

Oh, indeed it did Bob. We have joy. Smooth as silk.
Thanks!

Phenozo
January 14th, 2010, 15:59
:medals: I have installed ETO & 1.2 update thanks to using these instructions as a guide.

CrisGer
March 24th, 2010, 20:44
Where can i geta copy of this? the file library no longer has a category for CFS3 Utilities? if it is not available here in the library any more can someone send me a copy via E mail? PM me and i can give you my addy.

thanks

and can i install on CFS3 if i have firepower ?

hairyspin
March 25th, 2010, 12:18
Where can i geta copy of this? the file library no longer has a category for CFS3 Utilities? if it is not available here in the library any more can someone send me a copy via E mail? PM me and i can give you my addy.

thanks

and can i install on CFS3 if i have firepower ?

It's still there, in the Add-Ons Archive under CFS3 Other.
and you can't install on top of a Firepower install, but the guide will tell you how to preserve an existing modded install. Then install ETO to a vanilla CFS3.1a, as the guide will explain.

CrisGer
March 25th, 2010, 16:27
thank you, i had not relaized there were several sections to the library .... got it, thanks a lot and thanks to the makers and the team who made ETO....

ok, i will study about making the multiple installs, i had not wanted to lose the heavies but i guess maybe there were some added by ETO? hope so.

thanks again

cheers

gaw
May 19th, 2010, 13:34
the detail was fantastic and I finally have an ETO without flaws and hitches....which I've had for years. Took the plunge and started anew with this guide and all worked perfectly ......thank you many times!!!!

CrisGer
May 31st, 2010, 12:37
Can someone please give me the exact link or locatoin of the install guide? the new library system is VERY hard to navigate and i have been trying wihtout success to find the proper CFS3 Utilities section...

any help much appreciated. I finaly got CFS3 loaded and updated as required to load ETO, just toook buying a new comptuer

hairyspin
May 31st, 2010, 13:11
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=14798

It's in the Warbird's Archive - CFS3 Other

CrisGer
May 31st, 2010, 13:58
OK Hairy thanks i found it
installing now.
thanks again for the great guide, it is a bit complex but all is going well. :salute:

schaetzle
June 21st, 2010, 04:40
Sorry to tell you that cannot find the guide under the link provided:
-- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downlo ads&FileType=cfs3-utilities#download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downlo ads&FileType=cfs3-utilities#download)
Can anybody tell me wher can find it?

hairyspin
June 21st, 2010, 10:57
Sorry to tell you that cannot find the guide under the link provided:
-- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downlo ads&FileType=cfs3-utilities#download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downlo ads&FileType=cfs3-utilities#download)
Can anybody tell me wher can find it?

Hello schaetzle, since the downloads were reorganised, that link no longer works, but this one does:-

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=14798

Hope this helps. :wavey:

Phil
June 21st, 2010, 20:25
Hello, and especially to Mr. Grizzly. Help is needed to repair (once again) my ETO installation

1)Last weekend, I ran through the setups of ETO, PTO, MAW and DPC Korea to ensure that all was functional. After two weeks approximate, the installations go stale, sometimes find new problems or just take very long to launch. In the case of PTO, MAW and DPC the launch time was protracted.

2) ETO, however, launched into ERA1 or the invasion of Europe period. I switched to 1943. Then to 1940 Battle of Britain.

3) Returning later, I found that No Matter what was done in the setup or Era selection, I was retuned to the Battle of Britain. The same Winston Churchill heavy grovel speech "about so many to so few". I could not reset to Era I.

4) Remembering from my last installation some "tricks", I ran the era music swapper to change from Churchill to Lily Marlene. I next tried to correct the era setup by uninstalling the Mission and Uires (6 folders) as well as the BOB mission and uires folders. I then ran the ORIF reinstaller for 1.31 to write new folders.

5) Accomplished, I launched the program which launched to the correct period. BUT...As soon as I selected FLY from the menu, I went back to desktop (CRD).

Now out of ideas as to how to repair what had worked previously, I am seeking advice for help to restore what was a fine setup, unemcumbered by the SDK errors found in MAW and DPC

HELP

jackedwardmorris95
July 25th, 2010, 15:46
My B-17 is missing, along with a few other bombers, and all of the airfields are stuck in the battle of britain era (Grass squares, No concrete runways), Any help?
Thanks,

Jack

jackedwardmorris95
July 26th, 2010, 10:04
Found out my problem thanks to the Brilliant Guide! It was (despite what I thought) That CFS3 was only running 3.0 not 3.1 or 3.1a, The Martin Wright Multi-CFS3 screenshot/explanation section helped me realise this. So if you have the same problems as in the post above, that is what's causing it,
BUT, I have two questions:

1. What do I do about installing 1.30 and 1.31? (Do I have to delete the file I did when I installed 1.20?)
2. What campaigns are supposed to come with ETO (eg. I see no BoB Campaign) and can I install more?
Regards,

Jack

grizzly50
July 26th, 2010, 10:18
Found out my problem thanks to the Brilliant Guide! It was (despite what I thought) That CFS3 was only running 3.0 not 3.1 or 3.1a, The Martin Wright Multi-CFS3 screenshot/explanation section helped me realise this. So if you have the same problems as in the post above, that is what's causing it,
BUT, I have two questions:

1. What do I do about installing 1.30 and 1.31? (Do I have to delete the file I did when I installed 1.20?)
2. What campaigns are supposed to come with ETO (eg. I see no BoB Campaign) and can I install more?
Regards,

Jack

:kilroy:Jackedwardmorris95,

1. Follow all README instructions, to the letter, that are included in the Intall Pack of each.

2. There is no BoB campaign as yet. Any new campaigns would have to be built (written) to ETO. Any add-on campaigns done for stock CFS3 will probably not work, and may cause many problems.

If you have any more questions, or have problems, please let us know.:d

jackedwardmorris95
July 26th, 2010, 15:01
:kilroy:Jackedwardmorris95,

1. Follow all README instructions, to the letter, that are included in the Intall Pack of each.

2. There is no BoB campaign as yet. Any new campaigns would have to be built (written) to ETO. Any add-on campaigns done for stock CFS3 will probably not work, and may cause many problems.

If you have any more questions, or have problems, please let us know.:d

So I could make missions with MB now ETO is installed, If so I might Just do that...
Regards,

Jack

Emile
August 6th, 2011, 00:43
Hello,
I have installed CFS3 and it runs ok.

Before migrating I have taken an ETO full backup see screenshot.
Now the question : do I need to install ETO ,see screenshot ETO2, before reinstalling the backup.
I think yes for the Registry updates.
Thanks in advance
Emile

SilGel
September 11th, 2011, 13:26
I am hoping another member has run into this problem. I have win 7 64 and have moved "My Documents" from C: to another drive. When you look at my C:\users\my documents, it looks like this in my file manager:

My Documents-> [J] C:\Users\James\Documents <Junction>

What I can find out about this is that this file is a place-holder that points to where my real "my documents" is.

My problem is when I install the expansion, it fails. When I look for the documents to remove in my documents and the roaming file, they are not there (cfs ETO). My documents is physically on my E: drive, while the roaming file is where it should be on C:. There was some discussion in MS forums that older programs would choke on these junction files and it looks like that is what happened to me. Anybody else run into this situation? If so, how do I fix it, short of moving my documents back to C:.

Tailwind
September 15th, 2011, 07:13
I am hoping another member has run into this problem. I have win 7 64 and have moved "My Documents" from C: to another drive. When you look at my C:\users\my documents, it looks like this in my file manager:

My Documents-> [J] C:\Users\James\Documents <Junction>

What I can find out about this is that this file is a place-holder that points to where my real "my documents" is.

My problem is when I install the expansion, it fails. When I look for the documents to remove in my documents and the roaming file, they are not there (cfs ETO). My documents is physically on my E: drive, while the roaming file is where it should be on C:. There was some discussion in MS forums that older programs would choke on these junction files and it looks like that is what happened to me. Anybody else run into this situation? If so, how do I fix it, short of moving my documents back to C:.

Hello

At what point does it fail and what is the error? One thing I am reasonably sure about is that the CFS3 ETO Expansion folders are not created in My Documents and Roaming until the game is actually run for the first time. If the install is failing and the game is not run then the folders will not exist

Let us know about the error message and at what point it fails

Thanks

TW

SilGel
September 16th, 2011, 11:00
Hello Tailwind, and thanks again for your assistance. I have not run the game, but I assumed the installation failed as once I had finished and I got the text box for the multicfs3 popup at the end and got the message MDL Patcher at the top of the box. So, I assumed that the installation failed and I went forward with the removal procedure and found I had missing files and speculated that the cause was how "my documents" was located on another drive. In any event, I have since played the game without the expansion and have not located any of the files indicated in the expansion removal process on the C: drive.

hairyspin
September 16th, 2011, 11:58
This is certainly one of the oddest, not say unusual problems I've heard of, but as Tailwind says, the My Documents folder and subfolders are not created until the game runs for the first time. The error message you report is usually because ETO has not been installed to the Program Files (x86) set of folders in 64-bit Windows.

That being the case, there won't be anything to delete in My Documents, wherever it is located. If you haven't already, get the ETO Installation Guide and follow its instructions: installing in 64-bit systems is covered in depth because you can't install to the default locations, you must specify the correct installation path for 64-bit systems. Then there are files to edit before running ETO for the first time.

Good luck!

Human Drone
December 12th, 2011, 07:13
So all, you are really emphasizing that I have to start with a vanilla CFS3 installation in C:\Program Files (x86). This is what I get for being a hard head - and not realizing or reading the guide before-hand.

I was hoping to keep things neat and install all my sims in C:\FlightSims because in other places I've read that it gets around some permission issues inherent in the Win 7 directories. So I have a "vanilla" CFS3 in C:\Flightsims\CFS3; then I copied that to C:\Flightsims\CFS3ETO, ran MultiCFS3 and verified both installs were independent, and then started the ETO install guide when I realized that there was this requirement for C:\Program Files (x86)\CFS3. But I didn't get too far - when MultiCFS3 failed I quit.

So can I just delete the folder that the ETO 1.0 package installed under my C:\FlightSims folder, re-install a vanilla CFS3 into C:\Program Files (x86), and get on iwth it, or should I do as Grizzly50 recommended in http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60303-Early-Christmas-Present-for-richcreator&p=656287&posted=1#post656287 and clean out all the registry entries and what-not?

Any chance that in the future y'all could work with CFS3 wherever it may be found? (I know you guys do this in your <ahem> spare time and I appreciate it, just sayin'...)

Thanks,

Tom

grizzly50
December 12th, 2011, 09:37
So all, you are really emphasizing that I have to start with a vanilla CFS3 installation in C:\Program Files (x86). This is what I get for being a hard head - and not realizing or reading the guide before-hand.

I was hoping to keep things neat and install all my sims in C:\FlightSims because in other places I've read that it gets around some permission issues inherent in the Win 7 directories. So I have a "vanilla" CFS3 in C:\Flightsims\CFS3; then I copied that to C:\Flightsims\CFS3ETO, ran MultiCFS3 and verified both installs were independent, and then started the ETO install guide when I realized that there was this requirement for C:\Program Files (x86)\CFS3. But I didn't get too far - when MultiCFS3 failed I quit.

So can I just delete the folder that the ETO 1.0 package installed under my C:\FlightSims folder, re-install a vanilla CFS3 into C:\Program Files (x86), and get on iwth it, or should I do as Grizzly50 recommended in http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60303-Early-Christmas-Present-for-richcreator&p=656287&posted=1#post656287 and clean out all the registry entries and what-not?

Any chance that in the future y'all could work with CFS3 wherever it may be found? (I know you guys do this in your <ahem> spare time and I appreciate it, just sayin'...)

Thanks,

Tom

Human Drone,

I would just clean it all out, to be on the safe side, and reinstall. Then follow the Installation Guide.

Human Drone
December 15th, 2011, 06:22
Successfully installed up to the 1.40 Hotfix! Everything seems to be working okay... I've never been shot down or crashed in such beautiful scenery!

HOWEVER... I noticed when running the spawn swapper batch file that there are a lot of "File not found" messages screaming by. I shoved a pause into the 01_____.bat (forgot the dull name) and the first feww lines were doing what they were supposed to, so I left well enough alone. Is this normal?

Also, I'm not entirely sure the BDL zapper is working as it should. I don't play online (yet) so maybe that doesn't matter, but, I'll try it again when I can to see if it's doing what it's supposed to. It's in the proper directory (CFS3 ETO Expansion) and set to open in that directory, so...

And, speaking of scenery, I take it you guys have included the nice scenery available here, either Winding man or jbscenery? So I don't have to horse with anything else for now? Cause I have to do some work on the car for the next day or so, & I'll get all out of the groove!

Thanks so much,

Tom

grizzly50
December 15th, 2011, 09:28
Successfully installed up to the 1.40 Hotfix! Everything seems to be working okay... I've never been shot down or crashed in such beautiful scenery!

HOWEVER... I noticed when running the spawn swapper batch file that there are a lot of "File not found" messages screaming by. I shoved a pause into the 01_____.bat (forgot the dull name) and the first feww lines were doing what they were supposed to, so I left well enough alone. Is this normal?

Also, I'm not entirely sure the BDL zapper is working as it should. I don't play online (yet) so maybe that doesn't matter, but, I'll try it again when I can to see if it's doing what it's supposed to. It's in the proper directory (CFS3 ETO Expansion) and set to open in that directory, so...

And, speaking of scenery, I take it you guys have included the nice scenery available here, either Winding man or jbscenery? So I don't have to horse with anything else for now? Cause I have to do some work on the car for the next day or so, & I'll get all out of the groove!

Thanks so much,

Tom

Human Drone,

I think your spawns are corrupted.

NOTE: RULE #1 FOR ETO INSTALLATION AND INSTALLING ANYTHING INTO ETO:
1. Start ETO in Era 1, Fly, and then Exit.
2. Set the ETO Spawn Selector to 1, Stock Spawn Mode.

Here's what to do to fix: Look in the CFS3 ETO Expansion main game folder for a folder named CFS3 ETO Expansion READMEs. Look in this folder for a document named ERA Files Restore Rev 1.40.rtf.

Follow the instructions found therein EXACTLY.

If you have installed ETO to a location other than C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games, make sure you do Step 1 first: "Step 1. First copy and paste your Era swapper program files to a location outside of CFS3 ETO Expansion.

The 3 files are: CFS3 ETO Expansion\MASTERETOSTARTUP.bat, CFS3 ETO Expansion\ETOEraSwapper.bat, and CFS3 ETO Expansion\global_layer\ETOGLSwapper.bat,". You only need backup these three files named.

Once you have done all of the instructed steps, run the CFS3 ETO Expansion ORIFs Re-Install Cumulative Rev 1.40.exe.

This should straighten up everything just fine.

One more prventative measure: After installating ORIFs, make sure ETO has been run in Era 1 and exited, then make sure the ETP Spawn Selector is set to 1, Stock Spawn Mode. After making sure, find the ETO Backup icon and run it. This will make a BACKUP folder for the files and folders you just replaced with the ORIFs Re-Installer to a location outside of the main game folder.

If these kinda of problems happen again, all you will have to do is use the document to delete what is necessary, and replace the items manually from the BACKUP folder.

Also, when installing new missions into ETO, just place copies of the missions and spawns into the proper places in this BACKUP folder. Post-ETO release new missions won't be in the ORIFs Re-Installer, but they will now be in the BACKUP folder, once you have placed copies of them there.

As to the BDP Zapper, ZX Zapper, and ETO BACKUP, they have all been replaced since the ETO 1.20 release. All you will see when you run the BDP Zapper and/or the ZX Zapper is a slight flash. Trust me...they're working just fine. Go into the main game folder and see if you can find any *.BDP files.

Human Drone
December 15th, 2011, 10:10
Gee, Thanks for all that help... I didn't think I'd screwed it up that bad... I did set the spawns to 1, era to 1936 1940, and flew once between each... Must've bungled something!

Anyhow, will do. Sorry to have caused you all that, I was being careful.

Best,

Tom

Human Drone
January 11th, 2012, 08:57
My dear sir:

After some examination, I'm not so sure that I have a problem at all. It's just the QC spawns that I want to stop. Are these controlled by your spawn files?

I opened all of them, and nothing really seems amiss - like, the air.noair has a single entry in it, and, while I have yet to lean the details of such things, I suspect that the probabilities specified mean that it will never happen. As well, the batch files appear to be doing their job... clever enough.

So I'm looking around, I'll be darned if I can remember how I stopped them before... Maybe when I get home I'll see something obvious, I don't have it on my machine.

Thanks again,

Tom

FireStorm II
January 11th, 2012, 09:33
Human Drone,

"It's just the QC spawns that I want to stop"

This just rang a bell, do you mean in QC, after you shoot 'em all down, they all come back ? If so there is a small mod to do in a file, one sec let me check....

Yes, it would be the AppData folder. Win7 standard would be C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CFS3 ETO Expansion_________\uisel

Open this file and look for:
<EnemyAircraft>
<Aircraft type="string" val="3GR Fw 190D-9"/>
<Model type="string" val="3gr_fw_190d_9"/>
<Quantity type="uint" val="2"/>
<Respawn type="bool" val="y"/>
</EnemyAircraft>

Change Respawn type from "y" to "n"
Now you can land in peace after clearing the skies!

Human Drone
January 11th, 2012, 10:52
YOU DA MAN! That's it! See, folks like you & grizzly are why I threw $20 in the kitty this AM... Thanks for all , + the ETO and PTO!