PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim "RF-8" model question . .

expat
September 3rd, 2009, 04:18
I have the FS9 model, which is not really a RF-8 but "clean" F8-E i.e without the pylons and sidewinders. Worked fine in FS9 but can't get rid of these transparent AIM-9 shapes on the bird. Have fooled around in DXTBMP changing the alpha channels (black, white, grey etc), deleting the bmp that came with the mod etc. but still there. Any suggestions?

Regards

expat

Lateral-G
September 3rd, 2009, 04:50
I have the FS9 model, which is not really a RF-8 but "clean" F8-E i.e without the pylons and sidewinders. Worked fine in FS9 but can't get rid of these transparent AIM-9 shapes on the bird. Have fooled around in DXTBMP changing the alpha channels (black, white, grey etc), deleting the bmp that came with the mod etc. but still there. Any suggestions?

Regards

expat

I don't think you can. IIRC the sidewinders are part of the model. You would need the source code (good luck getting that....) to eliminate them.

FSX seems to treat alpha channels differently than FS9 did. This same issue was seen on Piglet's F-5 before he made an FSX version.

I am sure others way more knowledgeable in FSX model building will chime in...

-G-

Z-PurpleBubble
September 3rd, 2009, 06:24
since it's an FS2004 model, you can remove the stores with SCASM. There's a tutorial on simviation on how to do this.

thunder100
September 3rd, 2009, 06:39
hi

I need to look but there was an Alphasim F-8 upgrade with no pylons and or sidewinders.It was for the Blue Angels paint

I think you should write to Alphasim

Roland

DaveQ
September 3rd, 2009, 07:42
There was an 'RF-8' clean .mdl file available at one time along with a grey texture set for VFP-206 but I believe there were 'sensitivities' about its distribution as it was not an Alphasim-sanctioned add-on. So please be careful; I would advise you NOT contact Alphasim over this issue.

DaveQ

Lateral-G
September 3rd, 2009, 07:49
There was an 'RF-8' clean .mdl file available at one time along with a grey texture set for VFP-206 but I believe there were 'sensitivities' about its distribution as it was not an Alphasim-sanctioned add-on. So please be careful; I would advise you NOT contact Alphasim over this issue.

DaveQ

I remember that dust up on their forums before they shut them down....

-G-

dhazelgrove
September 3rd, 2009, 07:49

Absolutely. They'll deny that the 'updated' model ever existed.
Things got quite heated on their old forums over this issue.

Dave

fsafranek
September 3rd, 2009, 07:58
Yep. Good times.
:ernae:

Ferry_vO
September 3rd, 2009, 08:02
The update does exsist, but was done by the author of the model and he no longer works for AS.

I'll have a look at my back up CD's after dinner; PM me your e.mail adress and I'll send it to you.

noddy
September 3rd, 2009, 09:07
Yep bit of the Holy Grail that particular .mdl file at the time ( and yes I have it as well )

VCN-1
September 3rd, 2009, 09:21
Did the "clean" FS9 version version work correctly in FSX or did it have the problems as shown in the initial post?

VCN-1

expat
September 3rd, 2009, 09:28
The update does exsist, but was done by the author of the model and he no longer works for AS.

Sorry not to be clear but I DO HAVE the special unofficial RF-8 model, extra bmp texture, got the T-shirt etc, so no need to go over that old chestnut . . :bump:

Did the "clean" FS9 version version work correctly in FSX or did it have the problems as shown in the initial post?

That - thanks - is the narrow issue I wish to raise. Sounds like as it was not made as a native model, there may be no way to stop the AIM-9's reflection showing up. Funny, though, I think I can eliminate the pylons altogether with the model & texture add on, but not the missles themselves (?).

Ferry_vO
September 3rd, 2009, 10:19
Installed the clean model and ported the F-8 to FsX and it looks like the same problem some aircraft have with cockpits and propellers. The pylons do appear when I flip the alphachannel as do the missiles, but the pylons do not become transparant?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/rf8.jpg

expat
September 3rd, 2009, 10:22
but the pylons do not become transparant?

I probably didn't look close enough - assume you are right that the pylons also are transparent.

Ferry_vO
September 3rd, 2009, 10:25
I probably didn't look close enough - assume you are right that the pylons also are transparent.

Let me rephrase that :The pylons are transparant, but unlike the missiles those do not let me see through the aircraft model behind it.

rgatkinson
August 19th, 2011, 04:44
Hi,

I have just rediscovered Alphasim's F-8 Crusader for FS9 which I purchased long ago and had long since uninstalled in favour of other aircraft and other simulators! I'm on a bit of a nostalgia trip now and have reinstalled FS9 and lots of aircraft that are little gems (F-8 included.)

I'd like to download the clean RF-8 model and use some of the repaints created for it. Does anyone know where I can find it or have a copy that they can send to me?

Yours hopefully,

Taff.

delta_lima
August 19th, 2011, 05:54
Hello,

This is a common misconception. There was never an RF model. There was only an unofficial mdl that in combination with a texture tweak, allowed the missiles and pylons to be hidden.

In any event, it doesn't work in FSX.

There is a good chance that RFN's next major project will be the Crusader, and a partial chance said project will entail the RF.

Sorry - am a hard core fan of the RF also...

DL

expat
August 19th, 2011, 09:35
I'm on a bit of a nostalgia trip now and have reinstalled FS9 and lots of aircraft that are little gems (F-8 included.)

The AS F-8 (picture in FSX) looks and flies even better in FSX. Try it you will like it.

rgatkinson
August 19th, 2011, 11:44
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I realise that there was never a 'proper' RF-8 model rather a modified F-8 model (mdl file) that allowed RF-8 repaints to be used. How can I get hold of the modified mdl file(s) now that Alphasim are no longer around?

FSX - I have a love/hate relationship with FSX. Overall I still prefer FS9 as I have a considerable investment in FS9 only addons and I get much better performance with FS9.

Cheers

Taff

delta_lima
August 19th, 2011, 13:12
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I realise that there was never a 'proper' RF-8 model rather a modified F-8 model (mdl file) that allowed RF-8 repaints to be used. How can I get hold of the modified mdl file(s) now that Alphasim are no longer around?

Taff

Let's try this again.

1) The .mdl/texture fix DOES NOT work. Tried and discussed at length here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?34239-AlphaSim-F-8-Crusaders-and-FSX-thumbnails&highlight=crusader

2) Next, it is not true that Alphasim is "no longer around" - they reformed into a new company - Virtavia.

3) The ertswhile Alphasim model was never released as freeware.

Therefore, even if either points 1) or 2) were inaccurate, point 3) prohibits the sending of .mdls of a product still under commercial copyright.

I had very personal involvement with the development of that product, and enjoyed it immensely in FS9 - staying longer in that sim large due to my attachement to that model. Coming into FSX, I followed Expat's and others' fixes, as well as experimenting with the FSX portover of the freeware Laborie Crusader. In thte end, notwithstanding the ppersonal nostalgia factor of the AS model, I have migrated to the Laborie model, and am very satisfied. Though a port-over, it has much more by way of systems, and I find the immersion higher.

Expat and others will disagree - and that's ok - if nothing else, I'm just pointing you to another option, which you can evaluate and decide for yourself.

I still have it saved, just in case of a rainy day .... :)

dl

rgatkinson
August 19th, 2011, 13:50
dl

Perhaps I did not make myself clear or I have misunderstood. I was wondering if the modified MDL file was still available for FS9 and FS9 only as I have no desire to use the Crusader in FSX. I understand the 'fix' does not work for FSX.

I assume the 'fix' did work in FS9 as several FS9 RF-8x repaints refer to it.

I will email Virtavia and ask them about it.

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Taff

delta_lima
August 19th, 2011, 14:22
Ah I see,

By your posting in the FSX forum, I assumed that was your intended sim.

Yes, it worked just fine in FS9, due to how it handles transparent textures vis-a-vis how FSX does. As you'll likely know, the "fix" as very contraversial, in that it was not officially sanctioned for release by Alphasim. I can't even recall from whom at Alphasim I received my fix, but beyond that, my recollection and interest in the matter disappears.

My guess is the folks at Virtavia will not respond overly positively at your question, but I do hope for your sake that I'm wrong. If you do get it, you'll find Russel Smith's RF paints quite nice for the model. It's a far cry from the recce model (rounded vs square ventral fuselage, bumped vs flush refueling probe, lack of camera windows, etc. etc.), but in the absence of an alternative, did well enough in FS9. Enough so, that I'd still have the model up in FSX if there was a way to make the pylons and missles disappear.

The other advantage of keeping the AS model in FS9 is the refueling probe will work, which it does not in FSX. Converesely, the Laborie one works fine in FSX. Do that, and you've got the best of both worlds.

Regardless - good luck - and let us know how you make out.

dl