PDA

View Full Version : 'Edwards Beats Pole-Sitter Ambrose On Last Turn At Montreal'

Panther_99FS
August 30th, 2009, 15:54
http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/nns-edwards-wins-in-montreal/

Cazzie
August 30th, 2009, 16:32
Panther, in all fairness, it was just stupid for NA$CAR to carry that race on after the rain started hard. I had time to fix supper for a family of four and eat it when caution was called at 19 laps to go. I also cleaned dishes and made a gallon of tea, went back to my TV downstairs and lo and behold, they were still under caution with 9 laps remaining. Did they red flag the event, then start back?

All I know is that NA$CAR and TV held its audience captive through numerous commercials (personally I watched the Cardinals-Nats and the Little League World Series between what actual racing did occur) because I despise the way races are broadcast, just far, far too many commercials even when compared to football. I also watched Moto-GP, much better on SPEED than NA$CAR on ESPN2.

But the race should have been Ambrose's and NA$CAR pooed the scrooch on that race. Frankly, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is not made for stock cars, it is way too narrow with no run off. Just too tight for good road racing by those big hunkers. It is a terrible place to hold a road race for stock cars.

I tell you, NA$CAR is getting on my last nerve with their stupid, inane politics regarding the unnecessary deliberate cautions, the red flags, the green-white-checker, the COT, the total lack of explaining any of their policies, and the total lack of any real racing in its top division. I don't care if the whole shoot and shabang goes bankrupt and maybe we can restart stock car racing on a local level that really represents real stock cars. What we have today in Cup racing is nothing less than a facade of a once great motorsport.

Caz

smoores
August 30th, 2009, 16:40
thats gonna sting for a long time

Panther_99FS
August 30th, 2009, 16:40
Panther, in all fairness, it was just stupid for NA$CAR to carry that race on after the rain started hard.
Caz

Hmmm.....
I saw a TV interview where a few drivers (to include Johnson & Kyle Busch) both stated that they'd love to race in the rain....

Cazzie
August 30th, 2009, 17:39
Hmmm.....
I saw a TV interview where a few drivers (to include Johnson & Kyle Busch) both stated that they'd love to race in the rain....

But not a frog strangler and certainly not on Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, which is flat and puddles water, and has so little runoff for drivers out of control. I agree, racing in the rain on a road course like the Glen or Sonoma is great, but not on the circuit they did today. It is just not made for large stock cars, period, rain or shine. And neither is a street race course, there are limitations to what a stock car can race on and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve contains those limitations. NA$CAR will go back, because they draw a large crowd for a Nationwide race and that is the bottom line for them.

Caz

Terry
August 31st, 2009, 06:14
That type of race could be improved by using local cautions. There were too many unnecessary full cource cautions.

A shortcut through the cource for caution laps cutting the caution lap to a mile or less would also help.

redriver6
August 31st, 2009, 18:52
That type of race could be improved by using local cautions. There were too many unnecessary full cource cautions.

exactly what i was thinking while i was watching it...nascar should use local cautions on all their road races.

and that was hardly a toad strangler...the track was almost dry by the end of the race.

personally i enjoyed it....except that i was pullin for Ambrose.

aeronca1
September 2nd, 2009, 11:09
But not a frog strangler and certainly not on Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, which is flat and puddles water, and has so little runoff for drivers out of control. I agree, racing in the rain on a road course like the Glen or Sonoma is great, but not on the circuit they did today. It is just not made for large stock cars, period, rain or shine. And neither is a street race course, there are limitations to what a stock car can race on and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve contains those limitations. NA$CAR will go back, because they draw a large crowd for a Nationwide race and that is the bottom line for them.

Caz

You said it Caz! I can remember watching J-P Jarier literally skating his Lotus (JPS) around Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. It was simply masterful driving. It was a shame that the sun came out, the track dried and the Ferraris left him in their "dust".

wombat666
September 2nd, 2009, 23:58
Racing in the rain?
Ptooh!
Nothing to it, been known to come down in monsoon proportions at Bathurst, as well as hail and even snow one memorable year!!!
Our lot (including Marcus) just keep on keeping on.
:173go1:

Cazzie
September 3rd, 2009, 02:57
Racing in the rain?
Ptooh!
Nothing to it, been known to come down in monsoon proportions at Bathurst, as well as hail and even snow one memorable year!!!
Our lot (including Marcus) just keep on keeping on.
:173go1:

Wombat, I believe Marcus fubared Sunday. He was too busy looking at Carl in the rear-view and totally missed that last corner. When he hopped the berm and went wide, I knew the race was Carl's. I wanted Marcus to win so bad, I was grief stricken. Not that I don't like Carl, but that race was Marcus's all-the-way and he muffed it.

Caz

mike_cyul
September 9th, 2009, 09:08
Keep going at Montreal and they could also race in the snow. :bump:

Mike