PDA

View Full Version : Alienware Computers?

IanHenry
August 28th, 2009, 04:55
Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Has anyone here had any experience of Alienware Computers? The guys in the I.T Dept at work speak very highly of them but of course they are not familiar with the particular requirements of FSX. I know the resident experts here will advise me to build my own machine but I do not have the confidence to attempt it, and also when pricing the components up here in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region></st1:place> there doesn’t seem to be that big a saving to be made. <o:p></o:p>
The system that I have in mind is the following;<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Intel X-58 socket 1366 Motherboard
Intel i7 920 2.66GHz 8Mb Processor
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 x 2048MB
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512 MB Graphics
1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200 RPM Hard Drive<o:p></o:p>
Running Windows 7<o:p></o:p>
How will this compare with my current machine which is:<o:p></o:p>
Intel E6700 2.66<o:p></o:p>
4 GB RAM<o:p></o:p>
NVIDIA GeForce GTX8800 678 MB <o:p></o:p>
500GB hard drive<o:p></o:p>
Also running Windows 7 RC<o:p></o:p>
Through a 24” monitor at 1920x1080 Resolution.<o:p></o:p>

Will FSX show a significant improvement with this machine over my old one?<o:p></o:p>
How will this machine cope with the newer more complicated generation of add-ons for FSX <o:p></o:p>
Is this motherboard overclockable? (Alienware’s sales people inform me that it’s manufactured by ASUS<o:p></o:p>
Is this Graphics card adequate, I know it’s not the best on the market but the only other alternative that they offer is either duel cards which I know is useless or a GTX 295 which is £359 ($645) more. Also this GTS 250 has only 512MB of memory, is this a significant factor? <o:p></o:p>
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Ian<o:p></o:p>

harleyman
August 28th, 2009, 05:10
Ian..Unless you are not locked out the bios to OC it I feel it will offer small gains...

It is a quad though, and that will help..

Ram could be higher...1600 or 1900 perhaps

Whats the PSU ?

If I were to buy it I would opt out of a video card and use your 8800 for now..Its a GREAT card for FSX...Upgrade it later if you like, but be sure you have a good PSU at least 750W with 60Amps or higher on single rail thats 80% efficiant

See if they will drop the 1T drive for 2 500 gigs

Alienware is not what they used to be... Support..As its now a DELL....

Cerberus
August 28th, 2009, 05:16
I bought one years back to run FS9 at fullest. It was a good computer. The Nvidia graphics card burned out, and another one did as well, so I moved to ATI and they seem to last longer.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Bad thing about Alienware is they are very expensive. I priced a computer last year with them and it was in the $5,000-$6,000 range. <o:p></o:p>
Using only the old alienware case, I bought all of the same components off of ebay and newegg and built basically the same computer for under $3,000 including buying Vista Ultimate. Half the price for a computer that was equal to theirs, though I did spend at least month trying to get really good deals on ebay auctions.<o:p></o:p>

txnetcop
August 28th, 2009, 05:19
Harleyman has a point. If you are buying this just for FSX it is a way over-priced system. Don't know why this configuration is set up this way. You are wasting money and resources on a DDR3 X58 motherboard with anything less than 1600 memory. I do like using the Nvidia GTX275 and GTX 285 with FSX but especially with other games. You can build your own system that would beat this thing into the ground for a lot less money.
Ted

aeroscout
August 28th, 2009, 05:35
Take those specs to a local PC builder and have it duplicated.I saved over 2000 by doing that:engel016:

Boomer
August 28th, 2009, 05:44
The last 3 computers I have had are all Alienware. I can not speak highly enough of them.

There are naysayers that critique them for their price but every one of them that I have had has been ultra stable & reliable. IMO money well spent.

My current rig smokes FSX in all but the most dense area.

ryanbatc
August 28th, 2009, 05:53
Personally, they are too pricey for me. But I realize there aren't a ton of options in the UK for home built PC's.

This seems to be the best part shop over there:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

Anyway, what you want to do for a fast fsx system is get an i7, a 920 will be fine, BUT you must overclock it to 3.6-4.2 GHz to run high settings with addons etc.

For that you'd need a cooler like this:
http://www.crazypc.com/products/ultra-120-1366-50985.html

Along with a 4.0GHz i7 920 you will want a solid mobo, ram, and card, plus a nice PSU:

Asus P6T v2 Deluxe
Muskin DDR3 1600 ll, such as :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226052&Tpk=mushkin%20998692

GTX285 video card
a good 750-850w psu, like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

IanHenry
August 28th, 2009, 06:46
Thanks for your replies everyone, I get the distinct impression that doesn’t meet with universal approval! Back to the drawing board, how about this one:
· Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz CPU <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
· MSI X58 Platinum Motherboard <o:p></o:p>
· 6Gb Corsair TR3 Tri Channel Memory 1600Mhz <o:p></o:p>
· Samsung 1 Terrabyte 32Mb Cache HDD SATA <o:p></o:p>
· 22x DVD Re-Writer 'Lightscribe' Dual Layer <o:p></o:p>
· Ge-Force GTX 285 PCie 2GB Graphics <o:p></o:p>
· Creative Soundblaster Audio XI-FI <o:p></o:p>
· Dual Gigabit Lan <o:p></o:p>
· Firewire <o:p></o:p>
· Deluxe <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Midi</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Tower</st1:PlaceType> Case with <st1:place w:st="on">Superior</st1:place> 850w PSU <o:p></o:p>
· USB 2.0 x 12 (2 on front) <o:p></o:p>
· Windows <st1:place w:st="on">Vista</st1:place> Home PREMIUM 64 Bit with Win 7 Free Upgrade <o:p></o:p>
If I were to pay extra for the GTX 295 Graphics from Ailenware their machine would actually be more expensive than this one!<o:p></o:p>
Ian <o:p></o:p>

kilo delta
August 28th, 2009, 06:53
I've had/still have several Alienware systems, both notebooks and desktops including a few range topping ALX Liquid cooled systems and a 19" mALX laptop. In all fairness, they are very expensive (you're really paying the premium for the brand name) although generally the parts used are very good quality. Another option is the Dell XPS 7XX range...possibly slightly cheaper and with the same components as the Alienware pc.The cheapest option would be to build yourself...and I'd advise this route.

harleyman
August 28th, 2009, 07:00
Much nicer with the upgraded Ram to 1600

The MSI X58 is a good one..(make sure that its flashed)

Again that CPU wants to be OCed for FSX

Sound card not needed(onboard is brilliant these days)

Thats a good drive...Split it into 4 250 gig partitions

BUT...That CPU is like a full Ghz below what FSX wants...Do they OC ?

Do they offer a socket 775 ???????? With maybe a Q9650?

Thanks for your replies everyone, I get the distinct impression that doesn’t meet with universal approval! Back to the drawing board, how about this one:
· Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz CPU <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
· MSI X58 Platinum Motherboard <o:p></o:p>
· 6Gb Corsair TR3 Tri Channel Memory 1600Mhz <o:p></o:p>
· Samsung 1 Terrabyte 32Mb Cache HDD SATA <o:p></o:p>
· 22x DVD Re-Writer 'Lightscribe' Dual Layer <o:p></o:p>
· Ge-Force GTX 285 PCie 2GB Graphics <o:p></o:p>
· Creative Soundblaster Audio XI-FI <o:p></o:p>
· Dual Gigabit Lan <o:p></o:p>
· Firewire <o:p></o:p>
· Deluxe <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Midi</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Tower</st1:PlaceType> Case with <st1:place w:st="on">Superior</st1:place> 850w PSU <o:p></o:p>
· USB 2.0 x 12 (2 on front) <o:p></o:p>
· Windows <st1:place w:st="on">Vista</st1:place> Home PREMIUM 64 Bit with Win 7 Free Upgrade <o:p></o:p>
If I were to pay extra for the GTX 295 Graphics from Ailenware their machine would actually be more expensive than this one!<o:p></o:p>
Ian <o:p></o:p>

ryanbatc
August 28th, 2009, 07:43
Yes, this one is better. Again, be sure to ask them if you can overclock it. Because at stock speed that i7 920 won't be much better than what you have.

IanHenry
August 28th, 2009, 07:58
Mason,
At the risk of appearing completely ignorant (I am) what do you mean by “flashed”.
I was given the impression that the i7 processors were the way to go, and that they were easy to overclock, is that no necessarily the case then?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Ian.

Kiwikat
August 28th, 2009, 08:00
Sound card not needed(onboard is brilliant these days)

I would have to disagree after getting a good sound card myself. There's no comparison between my X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro and the SupremeFXII that came with my Rampage Formula. The quality of the sound increased a LOT. If I had a proper sound system it would even be better with S/PDIF. For now I'm using it with a decent headset and a pair of powered M-Audio speakers.

If you've got the money, there's no reason not to get a sound card. Even with headphones it makes a noticeable difference. With a surround system, it would be even better.

ryanbatc
August 28th, 2009, 08:06
flashed means that you updated the BIOS...

Yes the 920's are easy but you need sufficient cooling, I dont know what cooler they have on your rig

kilo delta
August 28th, 2009, 08:18
The Alienware systems can be overclocked (some come OC'ed directly from the factory) as they are designed as a gaming system from the outset. If a higher spec memory option is not available just buy the bare minimum (3x1GB) and upgrade yourself from the likes of MemoryC.com or Overclockers.co.uk etc.
I've found that the Alienware Predator chassis' are dire for cooling and their liquid cooling systems are poor too (I've 5 of them here beside me gathering dust). With that in mind I'd recommend fitting a good aftermarket cpu cooler yourself ( eg. coolermaster V8) although you'll invalidate your warranty by doing this....if they find out of course!:kilroy::monkies::icon_lol:.

harleyman
August 28th, 2009, 08:20
I would have to disagree after getting a good sound card myself. There's no comparison between my X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro and the SupremeFXII that came with my Rampage Formula. The quality of the sound increased a LOT. If I had a proper sound system it would even be better with S/PDIF. For now I'm using it with a decent headset and a pair of powered M-Audio speakers.

If you've got the money, there's no reason not to get a sound card. Even with headphones it makes a noticeable difference. With a surround system, it would be even better.

Well..To an extent I agree....But not at the cost of a card for sound unless you are running your house audio from your computer through some good speakers...

Typically sound cards can create software issues..EXPECIALLY Creative..

Sound cards were for old days when CPUs were weak as heck.It was a way to get sound and stay out of the CPU allowing all you had for games... IMO

And yes...Flashing the bios was explained above ! :wavey: