PDA

View Full Version : Texting while driving

hey_moe
August 26th, 2009, 01:17
This video was on our local News last night. This was a simulation of what could happen...kinda of graphic if ya got a weak stomach >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZxT9qt1IE

Wing_Z
August 26th, 2009, 02:14
Well it does seem like a kinda stupid thing to do while driving.
They should include ads for people who shave, do their makeup, and other daily chores while in charge of a ton or two of high-velocity projectile...

NZ is about to ban the use of cellphones while driving.
Some interesting research shows that hands-free telephony is just as distracting.
Didn't stop a mass marketing effort by the aftermarket hands-free crowd though.

Snuffy
August 26th, 2009, 03:02
That's a British PSA ... Very good stuff.

Many people make no effort to think beyond the moment they're in ... hopefully this will wake a few of them up.

(I don't count on it though ... :kilroy:)

JoeW
August 26th, 2009, 03:06
I have actually seen people reading a novel while driving down I-75 at 80 mph !!!:running::running:

Dynasaur
August 26th, 2009, 03:16
I know that in NSW (Australia) you can be charged if you are caught using a mobile phone, either texting or talking (unless you are using a handsfree) whilst you are driving. The fine is more in a signposted school zone but I often see parents doing this when they are picking up their kids from school.
Yesterday, the car ahead of me was driving slowly and wandering all over the road and even came close to hitting the truck alongside it.
When I managed to get past I saw that it was a woman texting. She had plenty of opportunity to park but (as they do)she just kept on driving.

Idiots !

stiz
August 26th, 2009, 04:20
i think they should show it on tele, as well what happens if you do other stupid stuff whilst driving. Also there showing teenages in it .. they should do one for middle aged adults who have been driving for 10+ yrs and should know bloody better ... i've seen never a young person on a phone/doing makeup/reading etc whilst driveing round here ... its all middle aged people who think there good drivers.

They made driveing whilst on the phone illeagle over ere, has been for a few years, but people still do it .... if the councils stop putting up speed cameras and crap like that and put more patrol cars out then the roads would be a lot safer ... think about it ... have you noticed how well behaved traffic is when theres a police car in a pull in with a rader gun or if ones just driveing along?

:a1451:

exc141ac
August 26th, 2009, 05:58
Like drunks --
the ones who need to heed it would just laugh.

I think it should have ended with a row of body bags.

Lateral-G
August 26th, 2009, 06:51
Trying to text or surf the web on your mobile while driving is sheer lunacy.:isadizzy:

:pop4:

Period.

-G-

jkcook28
August 26th, 2009, 09:45
Also a reason I'll never own a small tin-can econo-car like those. Even if the gov't wants me to. Gonna keep on "truckin'..."

Piglet
August 26th, 2009, 22:19
Not a very good PSA for airbags or seatbelts, tho!:pop4:

stiz
August 26th, 2009, 23:23
ha ...

"This video has been removed due to terms of use violation"

the one place where the target audience is most likely to watch it and it gets removed .... go figure :kilroy:

Naismith
August 27th, 2009, 00:47
Trouble with this is that governments only pay lip service to the enforcement of this type of law. The penalties are derisory - if they were serious about trying to wipe out the issue of cell phones whilst driving, they would and should make the penalty really hurt. Like $1000 fine first offence. Repeat offence, double it, More? Take the car away and crush it. I apologise if I get a bit heated over this one as it hits a bit close to home.

Brian_Gladden
August 27th, 2009, 01:16
It's a well made video. Very realistic. So much so I had to shut it off. When the girl started screaming... a chill went down my spine. Damn near had flashbacks from my time as an EMT and working on the ambulance.

I've heard that kind of screaming for real too many times.

Might be why I don't like horror movies. Saw too much blood and guts on the street.

Brian

aeromed202
August 27th, 2009, 17:52
Thanks for the H/U. I collect these to play during class breaks for future Medics.

Brian_Gladden
August 27th, 2009, 18:01
Thanks for the H/U. I collect these to play during class breaks for future Medics.

Tryin to scare em' away? Just kidding. At one time that kind of video would have been very informative in cataloging what kinds of trauma to look for.

Now, No thanks. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and even a ride in my own ambulance when a teen ran a light and T-boned me.

Brian