PDA

View Full Version : Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Bjoern
October 22nd, 2008, 10:25
Why in :censored: hell does the FSX activation bug out everytime you reinstall your OS on the other partition?!?!?!?

All I get is a :censored: 8-c0000006 error and FSX starts in demo mode!
Yes there is a registry fix for this :censored:, but it doesn't :censored: work at all!

Why, why in :censored: name do I need to reinstall a 20Gb binary dump because of one, incredibly :censored: tiny error?!?!?!?!?!

Can't programmers think at least one :censored: bit of the power-users who :censored: know what they're doing?!??!??

I'm gonna write MS an email and request my time spent on reinstalling and defragging FSX back!!:mad:

Oh, and they better not let my activate FSX by phone later one....they better not!!!!!!!!!:angryfir:

(As if Vista wasn't annoying enough already!)

Lionheart
October 22nd, 2008, 10:38
I feel your pain Bjoern..

Hang in there. Deep breaths. Maybe with FS11, this will all be ironed out.

Bill

Bjoern
October 22nd, 2008, 12:00
I dearly hope so.

Excuse the foul language, guys, but I reallyreallyreally needed that.

Upside of this whole mess: Fresh OS and fresh FSX = max performance.

harleyman
October 22nd, 2008, 13:24
Its OK...We all feel that pain from time to time with FSX....:d

Bjoern
October 22nd, 2008, 13:33
Oh, :censored: great! Now I can't add scenery folders in FSX anymore!

I'm really starting to hate Vista...

harleyman
October 22nd, 2008, 13:38
Do you have show all folders checked( not sure if that matters here)

Have you disabled , Ahhh,whats it called,,UAC?

Bjoern
October 23rd, 2008, 02:41
Do you have show all folders checked( not sure if that matters here)

Have you disabled , Ahhh,whats it called,,UAC?

I wouldn't even use Vista with UAC enabled. ;)

I *somehow* got the scenery library to work.

Been defragging for the last six hours. Once it's done I'll be off playing with the fsx.cfg.

SirBenn21
October 23rd, 2008, 04:44
I totally agree. It's utter $hite. :angryfir:

I actually went and bought another copy just to stop phoning the :censored: . :banghead:

Ben

Bjoern
October 23rd, 2008, 06:29
I actually went and bought another copy just to stop phoning the :censored: . :banghead:

What for? Activations?

I'm just glad I got my copy for free via MSDNAA. I guess I would have returned Vista by now if I had bought it regularly.

Bjoern
November 6th, 2008, 15:40
Had to reinstall Vista and FSX yet again.

I'm getting tired of this :censored:, especially since calling Microsoft for activation takes up so much time..."5634564564891648914984631348989471245566453" and stuff...:banghead:

I think I'll sacrifice space for a restore point now.

mjrhealth
November 6th, 2008, 16:03
Easy fix install it on your C drive activate it then copy complete fsx folder to the drive you want it on and use the path restore file on avsim to restore the path. Thats what i did, but dint install any addons untill you have moved it.

Lionheart
November 6th, 2008, 16:06
Some guys are going back to FS9 because of crashes and other issues.

:kilroy:

hey_moe
November 6th, 2008, 16:11
OUCH.....I found it to be less of a hassel if when you format you don't use windows to do it but a third party software...winows leaves way to much crap on the HD...I have never had a problem on a reinstall and also never had a problem reinsatlling FSX either.

Brett_Henderson
November 6th, 2008, 16:47
These threads still baffle me.. I'm running FSX on Vista 64-bit no less.. I've experimented with add-on scenery; both freeware and payware (putting it in and taking it out, over and over)... I've loaded and removed (kept some) add-on aircraft.. AND I've gone through all the read, write, modify, delete, save of EVERY type of aircraft file, cfg, texture, sound.. imaginable; over and over again while designing my own add-ons..

I'm doing all of this on the original installation of FSX; while enjoying near bug free game-play...

Roger
November 6th, 2008, 17:00
I run Vista Home Premium and FsX Acceleration and have had it so since December 2007. I had to do a repair to FsX in September and then had to reinstall some scenery but otherwise no real problems.
I disabled UAC as soon as I had Vista installed and otherwise I'm happy. I guess I must be lucky?

harleyman
November 6th, 2008, 18:04
Had to reinstall Vista and FSX yet again.

I'm getting tired of this :censored:, especially since calling Microsoft for activation takes up so much time..."5634564564891648914984631348989471245566453" and stuff...:banghead:

I think I'll sacrifice space for a restore point now.

I hear ya...Over the past 6 months,with three different conputers I guarentee I have installed FSx no less than 20 times ,only to have the machine crap out again and have to start over.....Now then these 20 some installs went with a OS install too....:banghead:

Hope you get it all going .....:mixedsmi:

Bjoern
November 7th, 2008, 02:27
Easy fix install it on your C drive activate it then copy complete fsx folder to the drive you want it on and use the path restore file on avsim to restore the path. Thats what i did, but dint install any addons untill you have moved it.

Not a bad idea. If you can get the activation going by this, you won't even need to copy the FSX folder.

Some guys are going back to FS9 because of crashes and other issues.

:kilroy:

Humanity never went back to the stone age because of some huge wars...neither will I move back to FS9 or XP32 - come whatever may. ;)

These threads still baffle me.. I'm running FSX on Vista 64-bit no less.. I've experimented with add-on scenery; both freeware and payware (putting it in and taking it out, over and over)... I've loaded and removed (kept some) add-on aircraft.. AND I've gone through all the read, write, modify, delete, save of EVERY type of aircraft file, cfg, texture, sound.. imaginable; over and over again while designing my own add-ons..

I'm doing all of this on the original installation of FSX; while enjoying near bug free game-play...

Brett, FSX doesn't cause any trouble that would have me reinstalling it or the OS.
But once the OS bugs out, it takes FSX with it.

Looks good so far.

Once I had everything installed, I created a system restor point. Just in case something goes wrong again.

By the way, the cause for all this hassle was Vista's "System File Verification Tool" (for repairs). I ran it because I've encountered some random application crashes. It finished like it should, except for a few error messages.
Well, instead of making things better, it produced a nice BSOD (0x000000F4) on startup - affecting both "safe mode" and "use last known configuration".
So the only remaining option was the recovery console and my basic knowledge of MSDOS commands to save everything of value on that drive.

Lesson learned: Always keep one basic restore point at hand.

txnetcop
November 7th, 2008, 02:48
Why in :censored: hell does the FSX activation bug out everytime you reinstall your OS on the other partition?!?!?!?

All I get is a :censored: 8-c0000006 error and FSX starts in demo mode!
Yes there is a registry fix for this :censored:, but it doesn't :censored: work at all!

Why, why in :censored: name do I need to reinstall a 20Gb binary dump because of one, incredibly :censored: tiny error?!?!?!?!?!

Can't programmers think at least one :censored: bit of the power-users who :censored: know what they're doing?!??!??

I'm gonna write MS an email and request my time spent on reinstalling and defragging FSX back!!

Oh, and they better not let my activate FSX by phone later one....they better not!!!!!!!!!:angryfir:

(As if Vista wasn't annoying enough already!)

The answer is simple...don't game with Vista-DX10 preview looks like crap anyway:costumes:
Ted

harleyman
November 7th, 2008, 04:51
The answer is simple...don't game with Vista-DX10 preview looks like crap anyway:costumes:
Ted

You're so hardcore.......:costumes::costumes: :d

FLighT01
November 7th, 2008, 05:52
I hear ya...Over the past 6 months,with three different conputers I guarentee I have installed FSx no less than 20 times ,only to have the machine crap out again and have to start over.....Now then these 20 some installs went with a OS install too....:banghead:

LOL, what do you do in your spare time or is this your Full Time occupation now?

txnetcop
November 7th, 2008, 06:18
LOL, what do you do in your spare time or is this your Full Time occupation now?

Gotcha Harleyman...Now this is funny:costumes::costumes::costumes:
Ted

Bone
November 7th, 2008, 07:12
Ted

Are you saying it would be better to drop Vista and go back to XP?

I'm in the position of having to do my fourth reformat in eight months because of Vista-Nvidia-FSX bad chemistry issues.

FLighT01
November 7th, 2008, 08:59

I'm in the position of having to do my fourth reformat in eight months because of Vista-Nvidia-FSX bad chemistry issues.

I'd be curious to know what problems your having? I'm running FSX on Vista 64 with a 280 card (& 177.79 drivers I think, not at home presently), so far it's very good performance wise. My new LCD monitor isn't giving me what I expect but I'll find out for sure this weekend when I have the time to swap it out.

kilo delta
November 7th, 2008, 09:16
No problems here with my systems....Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1, FSX + Acceleration and Nvidia 9800GX2 (or 8800 Ultra) cards. Disabled UAC too:d

Lionheart
November 7th, 2008, 09:17

Man... That means that every 30 days, you are reinstalling everything. What a pain!

This shows you once again the new ways of software with vista and FSX. Some people can run it fine, and some cannot. I wish we could discover why this is occurring. Used to be it was a driver, gigs of RAM, an update. Now, its mysterious...

Bill

EDIT: Just a thought. Could all this unstability in the system and programs be the new change of focus of the Graphics Card being the main 'engine' that powers FS? Could different cards and different drivers be the culprit in this wierd battle of getting things running right in vista / FSX? Reason is, we had perhaps 2 dozen types of GC's come out in the past 365 days, each having new innovations and capabilities and new technologies in them. But back in recent history (2 years ago) when FS9 and FSX were based on running it from the CPU instead of the GC, perhaps the fact that most CPU chips were the same accross the board, where as with GC's, they are radically different everywhere and with the new technologies (designed for DX10, new RAM, new hyper threading, twin GC cores, etc), that perhaps 'this' is the issue / culprit.... Too many, too many types, too many mixed technologies.....

Again, just a thought...

Perhaps if we can figure out the main cause of these instabilities, we can better tackle the monster that is doing this...

I can see now a need for a new program that would sell really well... FSX / vista tuneup mechanic! Run it, and Voila! Smooth system and good FR's...

Bone
November 7th, 2008, 09:54
Not quite every 30 days. I built the system on March 18th, that was the first install of Vista. Second install at the end of April, the third install in July, and now the fourth one. And yes, it's a fricking pain.

harleyman
November 7th, 2008, 10:40

LOL Well 5 years ago when I retired I got bored...So now my passtime is to Install and Reinstall.........:costumes:

Its better than a nice relaxing night in front of the TV,fighting with my wife,beating my kids,and its even more fun than just about anything I can think of....:isadizzy::isadizzy:

Any if you're practicing for death it a great way to kill the time till that wonderous day comes....LOL :d

FLighT01
November 7th, 2008, 13:09
lol well 5 years ago when i retired i got bored...so now my passtime is to install and reinstall.........:costumes:

Its better than a nice relaxing night in front of the tv,fighting with my wife,beating my kids,and its even more fun than just about anything i can think of....:isadizzy::isadizzy:

Any if you're practicing for death it a great way to kill the time till that wonderous day comes....lol :d

lolol

Bjoern
November 8th, 2008, 10:22

Never touched DX10 (in FSX).