PDA

View Full Version : RAM help

mariereid
August 18th, 2009, 13:04
Hey Guys; Does any know where to download that free utility that helps to regulate and free up RAM? Thanks

Dirtman
August 18th, 2009, 13:17
Hey Guys; Does any know where to download that free utility that helps to regulate and free up RAM? Thanks

Roger that Richard;

It's called "Free Ram Pro". Will manually or auto defrag the RAM.

Find it here: http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/software.html

Been using it fer about a year ... works fine.

I expect yer buyin' the beer at the Virtual "O" club on Friday!

mariereid
August 18th, 2009, 13:35
Thanks Dirtman, your a life saver! I'll have some Newfie Screech lined up for ya!

Shadow Wolf 07
August 18th, 2009, 13:36
Thanks Dirtman... I'll give it a try too. :icon29:

Shessi
August 18th, 2009, 13:39
Hi M,
How much RAM does your pc have?

CFS2 really is not resource hungry at all, after all it was developed in the mid to late 90's for Win95/98 (good ol' Win98....ahhh fond memories of the 'Blue Screen of Death' :d )

If you are running XP with 1Gb RAM or Vista with 2Gb and you're not running everything else at the same time then that should be adequate. If you really need to free up some RAM then there are many programmes e.g
1) Free Ram Optimizer XP
2) RamActive 2.5
3) RamBoss

Or you could end a number of processes either through 'msconfig' and stopping uneccessary programmes from starting on start-up or through Windows Task Manager and ending certain processes whist Windows is running.

The best is to minimise what you use on start-up keep your pc 'lean and mean'.....(wish I could say the same about myself!! :icon_lol:)

Let us know.

Cheers

Shessi

mariereid
August 18th, 2009, 14:06
I got m9360f hp. It's vista home premium 64bit. Says it's got 8 gb memory installed. I got a feeling vista is using a lot of that. It's got blue ray, media centre, and a bunch of stuff I can live without. I am getting a little scared about getting rid of programs, I've gone a little too far a couple of times. I have to look at programs and see what I can do. Black Viper has a pretty good guide. I do not have much added to it. Hmmm.... what harm can getting rid of the blue ray and media centre do. See ya......maybe

Dirtman
August 18th, 2009, 14:31
Thanks Dirtman, your a life saver! I'll have some Newfie Screech lined up for ya!

SCREECH!!!!

.... 8317

Getting into the "Dirtmobile" right now .... I'll be there in an hour!

Oh CRAP .... NO GAS!

Shadow Wolf 07
August 18th, 2009, 14:40
Will having freed up extra RAM help with framerates in the presence of a handfull of VN and Usio ships?

Dirtman
August 18th, 2009, 15:43
Will having freed up extra RAM help with framerates in the presence of a handfull of VN and Usio ships?

NOPE .... sorry

VN is not a problem.

I love the detail on Usio's ships but they are so bloody framerate heavy that you almost need a nitrogen cooled Cray Sooper Kumputer to run them in any number above a couple. This is a real shame .... if built in multi LOD would help this allot I imagine.

Sumday when we all have 500GB vid cards this will no longer be a problem.

What size & type of vid card do you have? - just curious :kilroy:

Dirtman
August 18th, 2009, 15:58
It's vista home premium 64bit. Says it's got 8 gb memory installed.

Richard ... yer screwed!

Sorry Bro ... Just realized this:

Free RAM Pro is for XP only ..... 8336

Try one of the others that Shessi mentioned

But with 8GB of RAM installed .... you sure as hell ain't using all of it Bro!

mariereid
August 19th, 2009, 04:07
Hey Dirtman; Yeah it looks like most of them are for XP. I am going to look at Black Viper web site. Soon, I am going to look at adding another card or something. If I get P.O.ed enough, I am going to get a gaming rig ( jeez, I hope it will run cfs2). The
wife might leave me, but if I had to choose between machine and wife, well I'm not gonna lie to ya!

PS hey Dirty, is this any good GeForce 9800 GT...512 MB GDDR3 memory..I/O Ports: 2 DVI (both can function as single-link or dual-link), HDMI connection through adapter cable, VGA connection through adapter cable. I got the common sense grade 12, it's all just them there fancy numbers and letters to me!

Shessi
August 19th, 2009, 04:25
Hi M,
You have way and above what CFS2 requires. The problem I think is 64bit Vista.
Have you tried running CFS2 in another compatibility mode i.e Win 95 or 98? Right mouse click on the cfs2.exe icon and try another mode.

Do try turning off/shuting down applications first as there may be one which is causing the problem.

Another option and one I've used, is to buy a cheap old laptop with a
P4 or later single core CPU running Win98 or XP, run it through a switching cable to your monitor and enjoy CFS2.

Shessi

mariereid
August 19th, 2009, 10:29
Shessi, thanks, just tried a different mode. This beast will not go past the 2 xp modes, it save cfs2 has stopped working. I have been looking at monitor and see I can only choose between 59 and 60 hertz? for the screen refresh rate. I had the impression I needed 75 min. Well I am off to Black Viper, gulp!