PDA

View Full Version : Training missions

bobhegf
August 17th, 2009, 13:22
I am trying to do a series of flight training missions the way they were set up durring 1941.All cadets, accept navy line officers that were in service before they started flight training, started out in preflight as inlisted personal.In preflight you were trained at an E base where you learned stalls, stall recoveries and takeoffs and landings. Once you compleated your solo flight without washing out you were discharged from the military and went home untill called up for flight training.At this point you inlisted as a flight training cadet.You then started Primary Flight training Phase one, Formation Flying.Once that was complete you went into phase two which was basic nav and insterment flying along with 10hours of night flying.Then it was on to phase three,which covered all you had learned and added carrier filed landings if you picked single engine carrier type aircraft. If you picked patroll bombers or patroll mulityengine aircraft you received more advanced nav training and insterment training.At this point you received your commission and went on to Norfolk VA. to the Aircraft Carrier Training Command for more carrier training and your carrier quals.Onced you finished you went home on 30days leave and then on to your 1st assignment.After Feb 1942 all this changed. You still had preflight but then you went to Primary then Basic and then Advanced training. The problem I am having is setting up the training missionsso that it will hold the interest of the player. Any suggestions are wellcome. Thanks in advanced.

bobhegf
August 19th, 2009, 12:41
Ladies and Fellows I have been going over the idea of rebuildings all the training missions . I have come to the conclusion that most of you wouldn`t use them anyway and just use the scenery lol.The more I tried to make the missions interesting the more cut and dry they became.What I am going to do is to put up a list of mission types and let you fellows make your own missions.I also found that I didn`t include Pensacola in the scenery I Dled along with my mission fix so I will be putting that up as well.My mother is in the hospital so it may be sometime before I can put it up.

CrashnBurns
August 19th, 2009, 15:16
Shouldn't the training missions BE cut and dry? They are training missions, after all. My memories of flight training are that they were also very cut and dry, but needed to be executed perfectly! That was the challenge.

Would love to train out of NAS Glenview. Shoot "dry" carrier landings at Libertyville field on their painted carrier deck. Then fly past Point Oboe (Baha'i House of Worship) and into Lake Michigan to try landings on USS Wolverine in an AT-6.

'Course, we'd need Point Oboe and maybe USS Wilmette and USS Commerce etc.

Please take all the time off you need, but don't give up on what seems to be one of your passions.

Crash

bobhegf
August 20th, 2009, 07:26
The time period that I going to be using for this is 1941.The Aircraft Carrier Training Command was located at Norfolk VA NAS.The navy at this time only comissioned 300 pilots a year.The president around the 1st part of 1941 saw a need for a large number of trained civilain pilots that could be put into the inactive reserves and called if needed.He wanted and requisted that a program be designed to acomendate at least 25000 Navy pilots as well as 25000 Army pilots that could be commissioned a year.This didn`t include the enlisted flight training program.Our training program was geared accept for the long range patroll bombers to protecting the fleet. Navy Fleet and Marine pilots were tought the basics and that was all,the rest was on the job training.If a Navy pilot could put his aircraft on the carrier and walk away he passed. At this time a Navy pilot only made three carrier landings and only one of thoes was to a full stop the other two were touch and goes.The Marine pilots didn`t even have to do any carrier landings. Navigation was very basic and so was ACM. Night flying was a total of 10 hours and most of that was night landings and takeoffs.Formation flying was the same,you learned to fly a V, echelon right and left and trail formation and that was it.The finger four didn`t happen untill sometime in late 1942 or early 1943.Our training was very relaxed comparied to other nations.This is what I am trying to show in thies missions and it is very hard to do.

CrashnBurns
August 20th, 2009, 13:37
I am not that familiar with the nuances of the Navy training program. Clearly you have done a great deal of research into this. If 1941 presents little variation, maybe advancing the clock a couple of years would help? Would that get you into the era of the USS Long Island at San Diego, USS Ranger at the east coast and the Wolverine/Sable on Lake Michigan?

Sounds like a great project either way!

Crash

DHC120
August 20th, 2009, 14:58
I am trying to do a series of flight training missions the way they were set up durring 1941.All cadets, accept navy line officers that were in service before they started flight training, started out in preflight as inlisted personal.In preflight you were trained at an E base where you learned stalls, stall recoveries and takeoffs and landings. Once you compleated your solo flight without washing out you were discharged from the military and went home untill called up for flight training.At this point you inlisted as a flight training cadet.You then started Primary Flight training Phase one, Formation Flying.Once that was complete you went into phase two which was basic nav and insterment flying along with 10hours of night flying.Then it was on to phase three,which covered all you had learned and added carrier filed landings if you picked single engine carrier type aircraft. If you picked patroll bombers or patroll mulityengine aircraft you received more advanced nav training and insterment training.At this point you received your commission and went on to Norfolk VA. to the Aircraft Carrier Training Command for more carrier training and your carrier quals.Onced you finished you went home on 30days leave and then on to your 1st assignment.After Feb 1942 all this changed. You still had preflight but then you went to Primary then Basic and then Advanced training. The problem I am having is setting up the training missionsso that it will hold the interest of the player. Any suggestions are wellcome. Thanks in advanced.

Bob;
I'm looking forward to your training missions..
My Dad enlisted in the Army in late '41 He was sent to El Paso (Texas) for "GI Basic Training".. somewhere along the way, the Army decided he was a pilot (being born and raised in the desert of west Texas must have qualified him for that ;-} ) In Feb '42 he was sent to a Civilian Contractor to attend "Primary" Flight in Cuero, Texas. After Sixty Hours in a Fairchild PT-19, at the beginning of May '42, he was sent to Brady, Texas for seventy more hours of "Basic Flight" training in a Vultee BT-13 and BT-15A. He attended class "42-I" "graduating" July 31st 1942. He was then sent to Ellington Field (Houston, Texas) for "Advanced Flight". Here he flew the AT17, AT10 and AT-6's. After 90 hrs 10min he was officially "rated" as a Pilot on Oct 10, 1942. From there, he went "back home" to Big Spring, Texas for Bomber Training flying the AT11, B-18A, RB-34, BC-1, B-24, BT-15, and UC-78 until the end of June 1944. He had logged over 1550 hrs.
Dad also flew B-17's, B-24's, B-29's and a handful of other planes during his career.
Point being, I'd like to replicate my Dad's "Flight Training", both in "book knowledge" and Flight Time (even tho I've been "flying in the Sim" for several years, now).
So, where do I find your "Flight School" information?
I assume this is in CFS2.. Is it multiplayer?
Charles.