PDA

View Full Version : Where/How To? Find a speaker volume controller

wichner
August 17th, 2009, 03:32
I have been searching the web for 2 weeks now looking for something I thought was simple. I have 2 speakers set up on my PC. They are all connected into 1 3.5mm jack that plugs into the pc. The speakers have a volume control dial on one of them. But, the speakers are far away from the keyboard area. All I want is a volume controller close to the keyboard. I have jury-rigged a volume controller that comes with a headset but that is small and hard to fine tune. And, I don't want to use the volume +- on the keyboard because that changes the volume level in the control panel. I would like to use a substantial dial type volume controller like you would find on a home stereo system. (This whole issue is because my wife complains all the time "the noise is too loud" and as soon as she leaves I turn it up so I can hear. Please don't suggest to 'close the door' or 'find a new wife' or just 'use the headset').
So, I thought I would ask here at the SOH forum for any suggestions because you guys have always been very helpful and someone may just have come up with a solution for themselves and be willing to share.

Togo
August 17th, 2009, 10:14
Now you may be regretting throwing away your old hi-fi amplifier or even your tuner-amp.:d

It may not be impossible to rig something up as an interface between your pc and speakers, anything in the garage? An old amplifier for instance?

wichner
August 17th, 2009, 12:33
i don't have anything laying around but i do go to garage sales where i see these. so i could use a volume controller from an old stereo or radio? strip the wires from the 3.5 jack wire and attach them to this controller? hmmm. interesting. probably beyond my abilities but certainly a potential option. if you care to provide any directions you can send me a pm instead of boring everyone with my not very interesting topic. thank you very much for responding togo.

Bravo/4
August 17th, 2009, 12:54
Hey wichner, it's not boring or uninteresting!
Just a thought, and it may not be what your looking for, but I have a volume control on my keybord, three buttons with a pic of a speaker on them, with mute, +, -, keyboard is a "MS Digital Media Pro" but yours may have a similar set up, the buttons are easily overlooked?

Talon
August 17th, 2009, 12:54
My computer has a volume control,it's a little speaker icon on the lower right.When I put my cursor over it it says volume.All my computers had this.

Talon

Henry
August 17th, 2009, 13:04
My computer has a volume control,it's a little speaker icon on the lower right.When I put my cursor over it it says volume.All my computers had this.

Talon
yup it should be in the sound set up of your pc
just go to sounds in the control panel
H

wichner
August 18th, 2009, 02:49
yes my keyboard has a volume control (+-) and i have the task bar volume control BUT both of these change the volume level i set in the control panel. That doesn't work for me because i have to keep the control panel volume at the first hash mark for most of my programs/ games or they have serious sound problems. so i need something AFTER the lime green 3.5mm jack output. i really appreciate all the help and suggestions (thank you guys). i guess my situation is unique to me. how people build their own cockpits with all the dials, switches, monitors, pedals, joysticks, trackir, headphones, throttles, and guages is way beyond me. all i want is a knob to raise or lower the sound. seems simple enough or maybe its me that's simple.

Pat Pattle
August 18th, 2009, 03:24
Hi Wichner - how about either modding your existing PC speakers (or getting hold of another set) and removing the volume potentiometer and re-wiring it in-line externaly?

Alternativley how about experimenting with the volume control from a set of headphones?

Also Places like RS Components, Farnell & Maplins etc are a cheap source of such components and also supply small plastic enclosures.

wichner
August 18th, 2009, 06:26
i did try the headphone volume controller (before i came here) as you suggested but it is way too small for my fingers. i will have to 'rewire' as you recommend but first i will try those two locations for parts and pieces. thanks for that tip!!

Moparmike
August 18th, 2009, 07:42
Hi Wichner - how about either modding your existing PC speakers (or getting hold of another set) and removing the volume potentiometer and re-wiring it in-line externaly?

Alternativley how about experimenting with the volume control from a set of headphones?

Also Places like RS Components, Farnell & Maplins etc are a cheap source of such components and also supply small plastic enclosures.

I'll second Pat's suggestion. You should be able to pull the volume control pot control out of your speakers and make an extension cable to bring it's wires up closer to your computer.

You should just need a chunk of (at least) three-conductor wire, preferably shielded wire to cut down any interference from running it beside a power supply or power cord. Also a little enclosure to mount the pot wherever you would like it located.
Radio Shack should have both the wire and little project enclosure boxes. Minor soldering skills helpful too. :)

Split the speaker housing and unsolder the pot from the circuit board and attach three wires to where the three legs were attached. If you're using shielded wire, attach the shield to a ground pad inside the speaker housing. At the other end of your extension cable reattach the pot to the three wires...you shouldn't need to tie the ground cable in on this end so just trim it nice and short.

Hope this helps!

wichner
August 18th, 2009, 14:01
thank you for the detailed instructions! and thanks to everyone who provided suggestions and potential workarounds. on what other site could you ask this (wacko) question and get so much help from so many really knowledgeable people. and, nobody mocked me for a simpleton question or said 'this isn't a hardware forum'. only wish i could share some talent instead of always asking for help.