PDA

View Full Version : New Ride...

Brian_Gladden
August 16th, 2009, 08:38
After nearly a year without reliable transportation to call my own. I picked up my new (to me) car on Friday afternoon.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis. Rides like your living room sofa but handles surprisingly well for such a large car. Ain't slow neither :running:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/Brian_Gladden/DSC00052.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/Brian_Gladden/DSC00051.jpg

And gets pretty good mileage for a 4000 pound car with a V-8. As the digital dash indicates... that mileage is around town with a VERY heavy foot.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/Brian_Gladden/DSC00050.jpg

All in all, not a bad car for $1,200. It's a true Granny mobile as the previous owner (who bought it new) is an 85 year old lady who can't drive anymore.

Seems nice to have a car of my own (I got the pink slip, Daddy) that I can trust to drive further than the grocery store.

Brian

Panther_99FS
August 16th, 2009, 08:41
All in all, not a bad car for $1,200.
Seems nice to have a car of my own (I got the pink slip, Daddy) that I can trust to drive further than the grocery store.
Brian

Good news to hear Brian! - & I definitely agree with you! :ernae:

Lionheart
August 16th, 2009, 08:53
Congrats Brian!

:ernae:

It is a good feeling to own a nice car. I got a sweet deal on a Q-45. Taken care of all its life. I am treating it gentle and with 110% care and attention.

Bill

Daveroo
August 16th, 2009, 08:56
now ya need to put some 24s on it and pimp it out.......................:jump:

Brian_Gladden
August 16th, 2009, 09:09
now ya need to put some 24s on it and pimp it out.......................:jump:

:barf:

I'm thinking a little more along the lines of one like this...

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/97/l_3dbd81d42e7b495c9f007eb8d74a2cca.jpg

That's a little extreme but I do plan a few mods.... But anything over a 16 or 17 inch wheel is stupid.... (Those are 17 inch Mustang wheels for example)

Planning on a dual exhaust, K&N air filter, cold air kit and wheels and tires. I kinda like the factory wheels on it now... Might have to go old school with some White letter BFG's

All up in the air now. Depends on how much I can work and if I find anything full time.

Brian

Daveroo
August 16th, 2009, 09:13
i was joking about the 24s...lol.....but that looks nice.....ive allways thought an aftermaket tire and wheel can do wonders for the look of a car..

n4gix
August 16th, 2009, 19:15
Nice. When my dad died I inherited his cherry 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis GS. It doesn't have the fancy digital dash though, I've got the steam gauges... ;)

Mine is "Sea Foam Green," as yours appears to be as well... :ernae:

djscoo
August 16th, 2009, 19:47
It's got a V8, right? As far as modifications, you can't go wrong with whistle tips...:monkies::icon_lol:
AgRoM4kf8gI:engel016:

Brian_Gladden
August 17th, 2009, 06:22
Nice. When my dad died I inherited his cherry 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis GS. It doesn't have the fancy digital dash though, I've got the steam gauges... ;)

Mine is "Sea Foam Green," as yours appears to be as well... :ernae:

Mine's Titanium Frost Metallic... The Sea foam green was almost the same color with a little green mixed in.

Whistle tips?!?!? Gimmy a break! Might put some Flowmasters on it. Might make it sound a bit nicer. Right now, with the windows rolled up I can't tell if it's running or not :ernae:

CMJYOvkTBjw

But I won't be doing this with it.... Even if I could :icon_lol:

g1RcwKzvxjI

Brian

Dangerousdave26
August 17th, 2009, 06:36
Brian

I had a 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS with the 302 engine.

Bought it with 75,000 miles on it

Did nothing but change oil, tires, air filters, brakes and exhaust (normal maintenance) until 185,000 miles when it blew the head gasket.

I removed the engine and transmission. I rebuilt the engine and sent the transmission out to be overhauled. I had it painted so it looked show room new. In the end I spent around 6,000.00 on that old car preparing it for more life.

Then I drove it another 75,000 miles and four years before it finally had to be put down.

It was a great car. I had it for 13 years and for 9 of those years I did not have a car payment.

Those were the days.

At one point I calculated the cost of that car to me as 4 cents per mile (excluding gas and insurance)

The car you have should give you the same type of durability if you maintain the simple maintenance. :icon29:

GT182
August 17th, 2009, 06:40
Great to hear that Brian. You will like it if not only for the comfort.

I had an 89 Crown Vic and a 94 Towncar... and I misss both of them. MPG on a trip was great, 28 and 26 mpg respectivbely. Only about 17 to 18mpg for either one around town. Better than the 13 to 15mpg I get around here for the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Snuffy
August 17th, 2009, 07:20
Sure is going to be hard goin muddin in that thing .... it sits too low to the ground ....

:ernae:

Prowler1111
August 17th, 2009, 07:37
Brian:..where is the meat ball and fresnel lenses?? also, do the cats still work??..sorry for the bad jokes, but back on 92, an uncle of mine had one of these (while i had a geo metro..go figure)and me and another good for nothing bunch of friends used to get on him while parking with phrases like, "geo 1, call the ball"..or "you know, i use your main rear view mirror to approach"..none of which made any fun to him (he was 36 back then, i was 20), or the worse offense " can somebody call the lady that owns that big car, that she is blocking mine..please maám?)...he came back with answers like "yeah, but wait until you xxxxxx learn all the uses for a big car..ladies wise... "yeah, you can drive them all to bingo!"...lol

Like i said, sorry Brian, just that great memories came back to me when i saw your car, enjoy it man!

Prowler

OBIO
August 17th, 2009, 09:35
Brian

That's a nice looking ride...much nicer than the 96 Chevy Corsica I got for the same amount....I hate the car with a passion...to small, four cylinder, 4 door.

If you go with the K&N air filter (cost more than standard filters but are rated for 100,000 miles, cleanable, give instant HP and MPG boosts), the cold air induction kit (again, more HP and MPG) and a nice set of low resistant mufflers (Flowmaster or Dynamax), you will be doing yourself a great favor. Aside from the increased horsepower and gas milage, the sound improvement alone will be worth the money.

OBIO

hey_moe
August 17th, 2009, 09:37
Brian...I had one of those in 92, brand new. It drives and handles nice and when ya punch it ...it goes. Also rides like ya in your easy chair...lol If you take it on a long trip you will see what I am talking about. Also da cops leave you alone cus they thing a old fart like me is driving it. With the seat pulled all the way back there is plenty of leg room, the trunk is plenty big too...I didn't care for the spare tire.Everything on mine was total electric....which to me it is the way to go on any car.The changes of the plugs were ok....except one that is on the driver back. Where they put the oil filter sucks too....no matter how ya try to change the fiter it always spills some on the cross bar...all in all you will really like it.

djscoo
August 17th, 2009, 09:42
Whistle tips?!?!? Gimmy a break!

Brian

but...but...but, they go woo woo.