PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice With A Computer Problem...

Typhoon Willy
August 16th, 2009, 06:11
Hi all,

Whenever I have tried to fly a plane in CFS2, say in freeflight, things will be going smoothly for about 30 seconds then the sim just freezes up for about 10-15 seconds, runs good, then freezes up again.

At first I thought some file in CFS2 was corrupted, so I uninstalled and reinstalled CFS2 and still got the same results.

So then, I reformatted my hardrive, reloaded WinXP, installed all available updates then reinstalled CFS2 with the same issues again which makes me beleive there is a hardware issue of some kind.

Any suggestions as to what's going on and how I may fix it?

Thanks in advance,

TW

Donald Piper
August 16th, 2009, 06:26
I get this with "gunnery practice 3" or missions with lots of action going on such as gobs of flack or large amount of planes in the air and a great deal of shooting going on. I thought it generally had something to do with frame rates. Is the game you are using completely stock? That is, no added on missions or campaigns or extra effects.... don

Typhoon Willy
August 16th, 2009, 07:07
Hi Don,

I have some mods installed, but I'm talking just in freeflight against a clear blue sky, visibility 15 miles with no other planes. I can be in 2d panel mode or looking at my own plane from an external view.

I would say this has been going on for about a month and has rendered CFS2 pretty much unflyable.

Sometimes there is hesitation when I'm in the aircraft select menu and when it's loading freeflight mode.

TW

Dirtman
August 16th, 2009, 07:11
Yo TW;

Yes it sounds like hardware problem.

Check these:

1) type: dxdiag into the "run" box (on the "Start Menu) & hit run.

- select the "Display" tab .... look for any problems

2) Check & update your video card drivers (if needed)

Hope this helps you out Bro.

Typhoon Willy
August 16th, 2009, 07:54
Hi Dirtman,

Did as you suggested, found no problems with my video card. I did both the Direct draw and Direct 3D tests and all was well.

I updated DirectX to 9.0c last week or so. As far as drivers are concerned, I've never updated them, don't know how. :isadizzy:

TW

Shessi
August 16th, 2009, 19:18
Hi TW,
It's a shame you re-formatted your pc as returning to a good Restore Point would possible have done it.
It possibly is a Windows update that you have now re-downloaded and so that's why you still have the problem. Updates to your browser, to IE8, have caused this (known issues).

Another issue could be your sound. Do you have a separate sound card or onboard sound? If you have both then try taking out the card and using the onboard sound.

A pain, I know, (try the sound possibility first), but re-install XP with SP2 or 3 and no other updates. Create a Restore Point and test the system. See what happens then gradually introduce the major updates. If no probs create a Restore Point and so on, when/if you get to a problem then hopefully thats the reason. TBH IMHO with SP2, a good up-to-date anti-virus and a firewall and the endless updates are not that needed!!

Cheers

Shessi

Typhoon Willy
August 16th, 2009, 20:18
Hi Shessi,

I wasn't aware of the IE8 issue. I really don't have anything else on this computer since it is a back-up and would not be a big deal to reformat the hardrive again. (I keep ALL my downloads on an external drive and back up my planes to cd's once configured to my liking.)

Ummm, not sure that I have a separate sound card, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks very much for your help! (As well as to Dirtman!!!)

Kind regards,

TW

wsmwsm
August 17th, 2009, 04:08
TW:

What caught my eye about your post was the fact that the problem started about a month ago. I've had a similar problem which started about mid-late July. The issue intially effected both CFS2 and CFS3 but now only impacts CFS3. After varying but short periods of time, the sims would close and I would receive the standard error message that CFS2 or CFS3 "must close".

I terms of CFS2, I think I corrected the problem by temporarily removing the six INDEX files, re-starting the game, then restoring the files after running the game for a bit. Thus far, no return of the problem.

In terms of CFS3, I still get the APPCRASH error. I've done everything imaginable to solve this issue without success. It is not a hardware issue, or at least I'm convinced it's not.

Both sims had been running perfectly well - for years - then, without explanation, this issue arose. Leads me to believe it is a Windows update problem.

PS: I run Vista.

Typhoon Willy
August 17th, 2009, 06:59
Hello wsmwsm,

Well, I've not had CFS2 close on me so far, just the intermittent pausing while I'm flying or in the aircraft selection menu.

I've updated my drivers and uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 which helped quite a bit but the problem still persists, just the length of time of the 'pause in play' has been reduced.

As Shessi suggested in his post, I did check for a sound card (which there is not) so I'm also wondering if my power supply may be a culprit? I have a stock 250 watt supply and have a secondary hardrive AND an external hardrive (which has its' own power supply). My 'puter is a Compaq 5430US, and from what I read on the net, this particular model has unusual dimensions and finding a replacement presents a bit of a challenge. Then again, I have no deffinite proof that it needs to be replaced.

TW

p14u2nv
August 17th, 2009, 12:33
I have also noticed with a new installation of IE8 that when I attempt to go back to a previous page IE8 will fail and tell me that it needs to close. This is after Vista alerts me that it is attempting to find a fix which it never does. Of course with Vista it will open a new page to replace the one that crashed. Weird and this was installed roughly mid-July.

I sometimes wonder why MS releases these alleged upgrades that always cause more problems than they are actually worth. Then we sit and wait until MS releases a "work around" along with a white paper attempting at times to explain what the shortcoming is. Just what is IE8 supposed to overcome that older versions have anyway?

All was well until IE8 was installed...ok my rant is over!

Dirtman
August 17th, 2009, 12:56
uninstalled Internet Explorer 8

TW

But you installed I.E.7 to replace it right?

You must have I.E. for MS updates

Shessi
August 17th, 2009, 14:54
Well some progress....

Power supply is unlikely and as you say your external HDD hs it's own power.
Unless you've added anything recently?

Right, the next best thing is to test out if it's a Windows resourcing issue. To do this is to firstly shut down internet access and then open Windows Task Manager. How many processes are running? eg I have 33 and that's nearly down to a min, with the intenet still running and anti-virus.

What you can do is shut down the processes, not explorer.exe and not the numerous svchost.exe's you'll see, but the others one by one. If any cause the computer to shut down, let it re-boot and start again. Get the processes as low as you can and still be on (that's why cutting out inetrnet access to start with will be because you will turn off you anti-virus temporarily and be un-guarded).
Don't worry you are only doing this temporarily. Now run CFS2 and see if you get the same prob. When finished experimenting re-boot the pc and all the processes you turned off will be re-started, then start internet access.

Let us know...

Shessi

dvslats
August 21st, 2009, 16:24
TBH IMHO with SP2, a good up-to-date anti-virus and a firewall and the endless updates are not that needed!!

Cheers

Shessi

I was wondering about these too Shessi. I read in one of your other posts that you had to replace a HDD. Recently I've been going thru these more then ever before. :banghead:
Can I ask what was it that actually went bad for your drive?
Thanks, Dv

Devildog73
August 22nd, 2009, 02:28
Funny you all should be talking this way.......
I left IL in mid-July and headed back to DC area for Uncle Sam. Since coming here I got FiOS internet and telephone and MS, of course, had to catch up my PC with all of their "updates". Long story short: My CFS2, all installs, have been crashing from time to time.

I have done nothing new to any of them.

I did allow IE8 to be installed. I have XP Media on one computer and XP Pro on the other.

I keep sending the crash reports to MS, so maybe they will work up a fix. Sounds odd that it happens with both XPs and Vista starting in July-August time frame.

On a side note: As long as I ran WIN98SE with ONLY SP3 and did not allow MS to auto install SP4, 98SE ran fine. As soon as I let the SP4 be installed the system became unstable and crashed all of the time. Then MS stopped supporting 98SE. I am convinced that M$ is including malicious code in some of their updates to make us all buy their "NEW AND IMPROVED" OS as they come out, and right before they stop supporting the older OS.

Typhoon Willy
August 22nd, 2009, 02:59
Hi all,

Yes, Dirtman, after uninstalling IE8, I double clicked on IE Explorer and was immediately logged on to my home page. May I assume this was IE 7? Then downloaded and installed Firefox.

Shessi, I'll try what you suggested when I return home later this evening (going to the air show at Selfridge ANG Base).

The reason I wonder if the power supply may be going bad is that a short time after I turn on the computer, the power supply fan (at least I beleive it to be) goes into overdrive, sounds like a jet revving up its' engine in preparation for take-off and stays that way. I just replaced the exhaust fan and it runs smooth and quiet.

TW

Dirtman
August 22nd, 2009, 05:12
Yes, Dirtman, after uninstalling IE8, I double clicked on IE Explorer and was immediately logged on to my home page. May I assume this was IE 7?
TW

Yo TW;

Assume NOTHING ... ALWAYS verify

To check which version of Internet Explorer you presently have installed:

If is says I.E.8 & you wish to revert back to I.E.7:

First go to the Microsoft Download Center and d/l the I.E.7 installer .exe

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=9AE91EBE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displaylang=en

Then go to your Control Panel .... from the list select Internet Explorer 8 and hit "uninstall"

Next run the I.E.7 installer.
When complete go to the MS Windows Update page & check for any updates.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

From now on you must use "Custom" when checking for updates and uncheck I.E.8 and hide it so it will not automatically reload in the future.

Clicking the "Help" tab and then the "About" tab will give you the basic info on ANY program that you have installed.

I hope this info helps you & everyone else who isn't quite clear on this whole I.E. thing.

Dirtman
August 22nd, 2009, 05:25
A real nice extension for Firefox:

Broadband Speed Test and Diagnostics 1.2.5

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2360

- Tests up & download speeds plus has connection diagnostic functions.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

For accurate test results, only run this tool when your internet connection is idle.

Devildog73
August 23rd, 2009, 04:26
Dirtman,
For some odd reason my XP computer is seen by M$ as a Mac when I go to the update page manually. If, however, I allow it to update automatically, I get all of the downloads and updates. My IE shows as 6.0.2900.2180 xpsp_sp3. on my PC. It is IE8 on my laptop but will not give me the uninstall button in control panel.

Dirtman
August 23rd, 2009, 06:19
Dirtman,
For some odd reason my XP computer is seen by M$ as a Mac when I go to the update page manually. If, however, I allow it to update automatically, I get all of the downloads and updates.

Yo DD; - check your PM's

Have you been prompted to install the newest communication software on the MS Windows Update page?
I think this is the trouble. Just let it d/l & install.

My IE shows as 6.0.2900.2180 xpsp_sp3. on my PC.

This would indicate you have I.E.6 installed on the PC.

It is IE8 on my laptop but will not give me the uninstall button in control panel.

You must go to: "Add & Remove Programs" in the Control Panel.
This is where you'll find the uninstall button for I.E.8

OR

Using "CCleaner", use the uninstall functions there under "Tools"

If you are still having a problem after all this; ensure you are logged in as the "Administrator" with full system access.

Shessi
August 23rd, 2009, 11:36
Hi DVS,
Regarding my HDD. It is an IDE one of some 5 years old and well used (abused?). About 6 months prior to the crash the dreaded clicks were heard from the drive. This is the sound of the arm hitting the internal stops or the read head touching the disc face, and usually spells a time near to complete failure.
And guess what! Yes, it got harder and harder to boot from till finally it failed. I had previously backed up all the data I wanted from it, so no big loss (actually it can be sometimes read from as a slave drive, so nothing lost).

If you are going through a lot. Change to a different manufacturer, don't go for huge capacity single drives, several smaller ones spread the load and minimise loss when things do go phut. Consider putting in some HDD caddy fans to cool the drives. Defrag and clear out HDDs regularily. Back-up to an external HDD or DVDs, again regularily.
These will reduce HDD failures and minimise data loss. Also reducing the amount stress and heartache when they do go phut! And they do, ask my wife!!! :crybaby:................... :d

Cheers Shessi