PDA

View Full Version : CPU CFS3 freeze

Emile
August 11th, 2009, 11:05
hello,
Just installed CFS3 and the game freezes after 10 to 15 minuts this is simple flight, mission, ......
The monitor is full of "blue" line , must reboot PC
Please look at picture attached.
Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1059/kamp025.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/kamp025.jpg/)

Togo
August 11th, 2009, 12:48
If it freezes after 10-15 minutes each time then it could be something overheating.
When did you last clean the fans on your graphics card and CPU cooler? Only do this with the power disconnected from your pc and wearing an earth or grounding strap on your wrist if possible!!
Are the fans working at all?

It could also be a fault with the graphics card, (hope not).

Anyone else with ideas??

Emile
August 12th, 2009, 02:13
Hello Togo,
On this PC I run FSX Flight Simulator with many (too many) addons during hours without any problem.

Where can I find some recommendations concerning the settings in CFS3config?

Thanks in advance

Tailwind
August 12th, 2009, 04:20
Hello Togo,
On this PC I run FSX Flight Simulator with many (too many) addons during hours without any problem.

Where can I find some recommendations concerning the settings in CFS3config?

Thanks in advance

Which side of the box are you running this on Vista or XP?

TW

wsmwsm
August 12th, 2009, 04:49
Recently, after running CFS3 without a hitch for years, I've experienced a similar problem with the game closing after very short periods of time to the point that I can no longer run the sim. I get an APPCRASH message and the game closes. It is not a fan or cooling issue and only involves CFS3 offshoots (OFF, MAW, etc.)

I've posted here (See, "Help, Please!" thread), but although lots of people have tried to help, absolutely nothing works. I run Vista, but I don't know if that is the issue. The problem surfaced in mid-July. I thought it might be caused by some Windows update, but that hasn't yet proven out.

grizzly50
August 12th, 2009, 06:30
Recently, after running CFS3 without a hitch for years, I've experienced a similar problem with the game closing after very short periods of time to the point that I can no longer run the sim. I get an APPCRASH message and the game closes. It is not a fan or cooling issue and only involves CFS3 offshoots (OFF, MAW, etc.)

I've posted here (See, "Help, Please!" thread), but although lots of people have tried to help, absolutely nothing works. I run Vista, but I don't know if that is the issue. The problem surfaced in mid-July. I thought it might be caused by some Windows update, but that hasn't yet proven out.

:kilroy:Wsmwsm, have you tried right-clicking on the start icon and running as administrator, and again as XP compatibility Service Pack 2? Try that and see what happens.:d

wsmwsm
August 12th, 2009, 09:16
Yes. I've done that. Among other things, I have also: clean-booted, cleaned the registry; reinstalled a vanilla CFS3, reinstalled OFF, PTO; rolled back updates; reinstalled the updates; rolled back the graphics driver; updated the graphics driver; tried several CFS3 disk 2s in the DVD drive; read every post I can find on this issue (with no solution); looked at every CFS3 file folder to see if something was amiss (nothing was), defragged, checked the fans, etc., etc., etc. Nothing works. This is an abosoute mystery to me.

Within a few minutes - sometimes seconds - of starting, let's say ETO or MAW or PTO, I get the CFS3 must close message.

noelberrier
August 12th, 2009, 09:37
Well, it seems that this time MS has got rid of CFS3. They tried to wipe out the game by selling it unfinished, then by closing the game server ... then by moving to a non-compatible OS !

... hope you retained your old XP disk ... time to double boot !

Good luck :)

wsmwsm
August 12th, 2009, 09:50
It worked for years on Vista, even better than on my old XP setup. Furthermore - and I have not established this conclusively yet - the basic CFS3 still works. It's MAW, PTO, etc. which have gone amiss. CFS2, by the way, seems to work fine.

noelberrier
August 12th, 2009, 10:54
Maybe some Vista update ? (I must reckon I'm ignorant about windows stuff, but I recall having heard it would be safe to keep XP at SP2 ...)

hairyspin
August 12th, 2009, 11:31
I doubt that; I'm on XP SP3, have been running on Vista lately and can report Windows 7 RC2 also runs CFS3 happily - all of these without any worries.

'Fraid I'm stumped too on the software side, but have you made sure no components are coming loose on the motherboard? Make sure all cards, especially video, are pushed home in their sockets and all cabling is similarly secure.

wsmwsm
August 12th, 2009, 13:40
Everything is in order. Clearly a software problem.

HouseHobbit
August 12th, 2009, 16:06
Have you changed your Scenery set up? Added to your GSL or LIB or QC locations??? When I first used the scenery DB program I had a few prolbems.. Like the computer quiting CFS3 and going to my desktop during a mission especially during the campain mode. Since I've learned to use the scenery DB program and build better Scenery cfg's.... I no longer suffer these problems..I took a couple of years to work out the problems..Yes, Hobbit's are a little slow in some things..LOL But at least I can learn new tricks...LOL Perhaps.... :ernae:

Starspeeder_3000
August 12th, 2009, 18:14
When my screen looked like that it was the GPU overheating and dying. I figured it out after swapping out my GPU with another that I knew worked. I then purchased a new GPU and everything is fine now. This could be a software issue but it is hard to tell.

Emile
August 12th, 2009, 22:53
Which side of the box are you running this on Vista or XP?

TW

Hello,
I run on the XP SP3 .
I have uninstalled CFS3 and reinstalled the original CD version, + installed the official patches.
After a few tests it seams OK ....keep fingers crossed :applause:

Thanks from all your answers.

middle
August 13th, 2009, 09:50
One thing about XP...you have to have at least 1/4 of the available space on the hardrive for XP to run properly....so ya might wanta check just how close the drive with the sims on it are to being full and get rid of some stuff if they are. mid