PDA

View Full Version : Westland Whirlwind

OBIO
August 10th, 2009, 20:28
I have a Whirlwind for CFS2 (works great in FS2004) but don't remember who did it. I think the original conversion of the plane (by JR Lucinary I think) was done by one person, with updates done by one or two other people to add a working VC, multi-LOD. Anyone know this plane and who did what? This is a superb Whirlwind and there are new folks in the Basement who might enjoy having this package, and I know that the plane would be warmly received by the Civil Simmers as well.

OBIO

JapLance
August 10th, 2009, 21:28
I think they're these files:

sc-JRL-Whirlwind_I.zip
CN_SC_JRL_Whirlwind_update.zip
DB_CN_SC_JRL_Whirlwind.zip

People involved: Dbolt, ChrisN, Sopwith Chameleon and JR Lucariny

JR Lucariny's Westland Whirlwind Mk.I optimized for CFS2

This pack is intended to be used together with the ones made by Sopwith Chameleon ( sc-JRL-Whirlwind_I.zip ) and ChrisN ( CN_SC_JRL_Whirlwind_update.zip ) made over Lucariny's work. Howewer, it will NOT work with Chris's modified textures ( except the prop ones ): you must keep the ones of the first pack.

To install correctly:
1. Download and install sc-JRL-Whirlwind_I.zip
2. Download and install CN_SC_JRL_Whirlwind_update.zip. Do NOT uses the WeWhIBombas.bmp and WeWhIMotor.bmp.
3. Install the contents of this pack ( Aircraft, Effects and Gauge folders ) allowing overwrite.

Modifications included:
-Multi-res model;
-Props animation works correctly now at engine startup;
-Basic VC added, with working gauges;
-Main panel re-worked in order to better resemble a British two-engines fighter;
-Dimmed VC light effect.

There is an optional MDL inside the Higher_FPS _on_ground folder. In this model, the shadow is linked to the LOD model, allowing a better FPS when the aircraft is on ground. However, the shadow looks somewhat coarse and without the landing gears projected.

The P-39 gauge included is a modified version of the P-38 Lightning one. I made it a few time ago to be used with the Lobo's P-39 panel included in the simTech pack, so you can try it with that panel, just replace the P-38F_LIGHTNING! with P-39D_AIRACOBRA! in the panel.cfg.

Thanks for JR Lucariny, Sopwith Chameleon and ChrisN for their great works.

Sergio S. Dolcemascolo (DBolt)

OBIO
August 11th, 2009, 02:00
Thanks for the info JapLance. I am sure that some of the newer members will find it useful in putting together this superb Whirlwind.

Earlier tonight, I was flying the Whirlwind in FS2004 and flying out of the bases that come with the FDG2 B-17 package. I spent nearly an hour zooming around the AI B-17s as they flew around, did touch and goes. Quite fun.

OBIO

rohan
August 18th, 2009, 07:58
FYI, there was another update done for the original Lucariny Whirlwind by A. F. Scrub for FS2002, FS2004 and CFS2. It can be found as filename wwhirlw.zip at www.flightsim.com (http://www.flightsim.com) if you're interested,
hope that helps,
Ro
:guinness:

OBIO
August 18th, 2009, 08:12
I have the AF Scrub version as well, but the modifications done by Dbolt, ChrisN, and Sopwith Chameleon are much nicer...the VC is much more detailed.

OBIO