PDA

View Full Version : One for the sound fiddlers: Turning single engine into two?

Wild Bill Kelso
August 10th, 2009, 08:08
I'm sure there's enough sound experts to answer this question:

The IMHO best representation of the P&W R2880 Double Wasp was done by A2A on their P-47 pack. (Yes, the sound pack for the SOH Invader is great, but I have to confess that I like the A2A infernal noise a little more... :engel016: )

Now I'd like to set these files to my CV-440's (and the DC-6's as well...), turning those ships into an awesome orchester of terrific fuel-to-sound-converters... :icon_lol:

I basically understand how the sound.cfg works.

The P-47 file starts like this:

[SOUND_ENGINE]
number_of_engines = 1
eng1_starter = STARTER.1.00
eng1_combustion_start = COMBUSTION_START.1.00
eng1_combustion = COMBUSTION.1.00
eng1_shutdown = SHUTDOWN.1.00
[STARTER.1.00]
filename = p47_starter
flags = 0
viewpoint = 1
link = STARTER.1.01
[STARTER.1.01]
filename = xp47_starter
flags = 0
viewpoint = 2

Now would it make any difference if I just change the number of engines entry and copy the respective paragraphs of engine 1 for engine 2, but using the same, unaltered *.wav files as source?

Or need the *.wav files to be edited to get full effect of the two engines (engine 1 from the left and engine 2 from the right)?
Where is the stereo effect coded? Just by the engine number?

Do the *.wav files need to be copied and re-named or does the sound engine of FS have simultaneously access to one sound source file for two engines running?

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Markus.

OBIO
August 10th, 2009, 11:57
Marcus

Tweaking the sound config file to change it from a single engine pack to a twin, triple, quad engine pack is pretty easy once you know how to do it.

Lawdog wrote up a quick tute for me a while back. I will dig around in my files to find it, develop it a bit more to explain some things a little more, and upload it.

____

You do not need to modify the individual wav files to make sound files for each engine...though doing so really adds a richness to a sound pack that is nearly mind boggling. Each engine, even if built to the same specs, will have slightly different sounds...and building a sound pack to reflect that will turn a good sound pack into a sound pack of operatic proportions...though it also makes that sound pack a HD space hogging one.

OBIO

PS: You can alias a 2, 3 or 4 enigne plane to a single engine sound pack without having to alter the sound pack at all....the sim will know to use single engine sound pack for each engine. I have done that in the past....but you will get better results using a sound pack that has been set up for 2 engines.

A quick and easy sound pack tweak to use until I get the full tute ready:

[SOUND_ENGINE]
number_of_engines = 2
eng1_starter = STARTER.1.00
eng1_combustion_start = COMBUSTION_START.1.00
eng1_combustion = COMBUSTION.1.00
eng1_shutdown = SHUTDOWN.1.00

eng2_starter = STARTER.1.00
eng2_combustion_start = COMBUSTION_START.1.00
eng2_combustion = COMBUSTION.1.00
eng2_shutdown = SHUTDOWN.1.00

Lionheart
August 10th, 2009, 12:44
You can save two copies of the engines sound files.

Take one and open with freeware Audacity and set the sound settings to full left. Export sound to Desktop. Do all this for one engine sound set. Name them all 'left' with the name of the sound file lables.

Repeat for Right side on the right engine set.

Place these into the sound folder and create a modified sound config file.

When you start the engine, the left engine will light up the left speaker only, etc.

Works great and doest take as long as you think with Audacity. The time consuming part will be the sound.cfg file.

Bill

bpfowler
August 10th, 2009, 22:30
this is a nice treat for the propliner crowd....I'll watch this thread

Wild Bill Kelso
August 11th, 2009, 07:49
Thanks, fellas!

I somehow had the notion that OBIO would be the first one to answer... :icon_lol:

Your quick&easy version sounds good - I'll give it a try.

Bill's solution of tweaking the sound files seems challenging, though I never started to edit the wav-files by now. Well - we live to learn...

Tweaking the cfg-file will of course be a lot of copy, paste and replace work, but that's accustomed to me. I'll take a look to the sound editor program mentioned.

Too bad that I can't share the final result, for it's payware sound files to be altered, but if I come to any satisfying results, the sound.cfg file will of course be published here.

Cheers,
Markus.