PDA

View Full Version : U-2 Aircraft

Helldiver
August 9th, 2009, 19:23
Back in the Sixties I was working at Airborne Optical Division of Baird Atomic. Principally working on spook projects. One of them was being the U-2 aircraft. We built many sensors for the airplane including the Dragon Lady, Smoky Joe and the Pickle Barrel programs.
The things that all U-2’s had in common were the Bubble Sextant and the V/H (velocity over height) unit. Since the places they went they couldn’t use radio Navigation and of course the were no GPS at that time, they had to rely on old fashioned celestial navigation.
Anyone that’s familiar with the old Hawk model of the U-2 can remember a large opening on the panel and that was for the V/H display. This was to synchronize the Itek camera for drift and film speed since the camera was an open aperture and the film had to go at the speed of the aircraft. In all pictures I have seen of U-2s, The sextant and v/h unit was carefully erased out.
There was one U-2 that the pilot bailed out of because of a flame out. The plane landed pretty much intact out in the desert. They changed the engine and patched up some bent metal. They took out all the optical sensors and put them in bonded stores at Baird. This is the plane that Gary Powers flew over Russia since the suspected that the Russians had a missile that would reach a U-2. They guessed right.
Here’s picture of the U-2 as it really looked like.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/Robfolsom/U-2.jpg?t=1249874564

jmig
August 10th, 2009, 03:42
How did the pilot use the sextant? That bubble seems too small and how did he get below it? Was it automatic?

The B-52 had a sextant bubble. However it was 12-18 inches in dia.

Daveroo
August 10th, 2009, 06:01
helldiver...id like to know about the stock car number 520...you driving?...give some details please......i dont understand all that sextant stuff..race cars i understand.....

Helldiver
August 10th, 2009, 06:23
That's one of five cars I drove in the New England Stock Cars Association during 1947 to 1951. That's when the cars were really stock. No outside parts could be used.
We would race Norwood, Medford, Hudson, NH, Peabody, Groveland, Lonsdale and Thompson, CT.
All were Fords but the car that made me the most money was a 1937 Chevy coupe.
The Sextant bubble was visible to the pilot. Not as far as it looks. Keeping it centered was the trick. Some pilots had no problem with it but there was a few that always had a problem.