PDA

View Full Version : Life as a Dev

Lionheart
August 8th, 2009, 10:25
Hey all,

I usually dont talk about work. I am a Sim Freak first and all things related to planes and Flight Simulator catch my attention. That and I like to help people out so I tend to advise when I can.

I shouldnt be doing this, but I want to vent just a tad.

I make planes for both simulators. Mainly I do this because;
A. I fly in FS2004.
B. I make FSX planes because that is where the money is.

FS9 planes arent really bringing in as much as FSX. Since I am in this to survive on, I thus make FSX planes. That or I go get a job to support my FS9 planes.

Now here is the funny part. I can make a plane for FS9 in quick order, but converting an existing, pre-mapped plane to FSX format takes weeks! lol... This is from a full time person that does this all day long. Getting all the animations, attach points for click points, textures functioning properly, adjustments of airfiles, all running properly, can take 2 to 6 weeks.

Now, here is an even funnier side of the big picture in 'Dev World'. I handle all customer service, such as help with questions, issues, etc. All of my complaints or problems with the version of Flight Simulator is FSX related. These issues stem from their systems not having enough Ram for FSX to show all parts mapped (textures stop showing up when Ram is exceeded), parts stretching up into the sky (same issue), invisible exterior textures, (FSX SP1 not installed) and wierdness, which comes from FSX Accelleration. (For some reason, Accel will do things like a FSX without SP1 will do, but supposedly FSX Accel has SP1 in it, so go figure).

Then there are problems with the new OS systems in 64 bit, like vista 64, and now Windows 7-64. The issues are mainly that the installer doesnt find the right location. Now I know the installers are usually working right (usually, and even with exterior drives, though still, some stumble). But bugs however are occurring with 64 systems. And again, not with everyone, only a minority.

Now some of these emails are from people that have purchased something, paid good money for it, and its not working or showing up on their computers, so some are a bit irate. One guy was going to tell his friends to never buy from me again, because his update wouldnt work, which I had sent to him several times. Turned out, his FireFox didnt show the link. Another was one that had brilliant Spam protection. I kept getting emails from him, but all of mine were rejected by the host, lol.. What can I do? eeks...

Here we have so many OS systems now, so many browsers, 2 simulators, one simulator with variations of update levels, and we (developers) have to make these work for everyone.

wheww....

One thing that I do like though, is that FS9 customers, I usually never hear from them. Smooooooth. Runs good on their sims, no things sticking out of the plane going up into the sky, no black parts.

Presently, I am rigging the switches in the Epic LT to have sound. Sounds simple, right? Add a section of code to each VC switch, same for the 2D switches. Took me almost 2 hours for the FS2004 Gmax model. Now, for the FSX model, I am on week 2. Thats 2 weeks for switching sounds to gauge code. Why you ask? You tell me. The Attachpoints seem to work intermittently. I have some switches that actually inherit a different Mouse Rect (attached via Attach Point Tool in FSX Gmax), Animations not working (I have no idea why, they worked before on the previous edition FSX model). Yesterday, I had 4 switches not working right. By 7PM, I had 5 switches not working. One joined the others, lol...

Whewww! I broke out the bottle of grapes and tried to relax.

Do you know how much work a modellor can make in 2 weeks? Some people can make a plane in that time, fully mapped, mesh creation, everything... 2 Weeks......

Then add the emails that come in, handling those twice a day. "My plane isnt showing up in FSX. The exterior is transparent."

I am not looking for pitty. I am not saying 'boo hooo'. I am venting, lol.. But not looking for a pat on the back. If anyone thinks this is easy, they are far from wrong. Very far.

And pirates want to know why I get frazzled because they can take my blood sweat and tears and hand it out to several thousand people?

:d

Just venting.... All is well.

Bill

PRB
August 8th, 2009, 10:34
Keep up the good work, Bill! Thank God there are people like you out there willing to take the heat from all the impatient and self-appointed “gate-keepers” out there, keeping track of what “deserves” to be released and sold as payware, and what doesn’t. I know I couldn’t put up with it. Your planes are well made, and reasonable priced. No complaints here!
:ernae:

Meshman
August 8th, 2009, 10:43
Well, now you've scared me off from releasing anything...:icon_lol: Oh wait, I'm a ground guy, not airplanes. Shouldn't be any conflicts awaiting...:blind:

There are so many different levels of users, so many addons that may or may not conflict, so many system setups, in total the number I came up with was 7,461,948,204. Give or take a couple.

So many people today think a purchase of an addon should guarantee 24/7 support until it works 100%. Some vendors try, but I've seen them get bogged down severly in the attempts. My work is basic in nature, so if I do a thorough enough job on the user's guide it should cover just about anything. Those that don't want to read and learn and if they should inquire of me will receive a nice reference page number. Those asking or seeking system support, sorry!

Like you, it's just me, myself and I. What I do is slow and tedious work. Trying to be Mr. Wonderful to the user doesn't help me fill the objectives, meet timelines or really, I feel, help to generate revenue.

Should be a whole lot of fun!! :isadizzy:

harleyman
August 8th, 2009, 11:05
I hear ya Bill..

But you are also one of the best out there for us..You sales also include both Sims.I personally like that as I fly both equally most days...

So...Does this mean I have to stop spamming you with all my hate mail??? LOL

Be cool my friend....You deserve a good vent on ocassion....

PS./...Check your Mail Box....:wavey:

MudMarine
August 8th, 2009, 11:14
Didn't think developers had lifes?:icon_lol: Now I know better! Get back to work
!!:violent:......:engel016:

Milton Shupe
August 8th, 2009, 11:20
If I ever have any thoughts about doing aircraft for FSX, I will come back to read this. :mixedsmi:

JamesChams
August 8th, 2009, 11:21
Mr. Bill "Lion Heart,"

As you already know, I'm one of your "Extremely Satisfied" customers... However, I'm not really a developer (except with a User developed version of the Aerosoft's F-16 EHSI). But, I do appreciate all your hard work and efforts... And, I'm currently doing so, in my recently purchased product of yours (See pic below).

Keep up the Great work, My Brother in Christ! :applause:

:medals::medals::medals::medals::medals::medals:

http://x-plane.org/home/JamesChams/Photos/Contest_2.jpg (http://x-plane.org/home/JamesChams/Photos/Contest_2.jpg)

Mathias
August 8th, 2009, 11:24
And pirates want to know why I get frazzled because they can take my blood sweat and tears and hand it out to several thousand people?

:d

Just venting.... All is well.

Bill

Gee, I was just chatting several days with a bloke who wanted to do repaints for our recent crate, talking him through the FSX waddabouts.
Turns out he got it from his "russian friend".
Ain't that great?:monkies:

Txmmy83
August 8th, 2009, 11:36
Mr. Bill "Lion Heart,"

As you already know, I'm one of your "Extremely Satisfied" customers... However, I'm not really a developer (except with a User developed version of the Aerosoft's F-16 EHSI). But, I do appreciate all your hard work and efforts... And, I'm currently doing so, in my recently purchased product of yours (See pic below).

Keep up the Great work, My Brother in Christ! :applause:

:medals::medals::medals::medals::medals::medals:

http://x-plane.org/home/JamesChams/Photos/Contest_2.jpg (http://x-plane.org/home/JamesChams/Photos/Contest_2.jpg)
what weather addon do you use ?
Sensational water the clouds are also nice:applause:
nice shot

BR
Tom

Roger
August 8th, 2009, 11:43
Whoa Tom, lets stay on topic!

I feel for you designers especially like Bill who is a full-time (don't sell don't eat) because it looks like the hardest work for not a great reward. It takes me all my time to keep tabs on Autocad in 2d for the lighting schemes I design...I just don't know how you fellas do it?...And then for Mathias to be helping a guy who got his aircraft from his Russian friend!!!

God bless you all who make our hobby that bit better with all your hard work!

Henry
August 8th, 2009, 12:00
I feel for you designers especially like Bill who is a full-time (don't sell don't eat) because it looks like the hardest work for not a great reward. It takes me all my time to keep tabs on Autocad in 2d for the lighting schemes I design...I just don't know how you fellas do it?...And then for Mathias to be helping a guy who got his aircraft from his Russian friend!!!

God bless you all who make our hobby that bit better with all your hard work!
I will go with that:applause:
also i must say that i have never had a problem
with any of Bills Creations or Mathias
as far as installing, Flying or anything
obviously there are many different configurations
of peoples sims and being tech support is extremely difficult and frustrating
but believe me
i do thank all from the bottom of my heart :medals:
im all ears as far as venting goes, just keep creating
and if the public gets a little nasty
send them to me:icon_lol:
Cheers
H

JamesChams
August 8th, 2009, 12:02
Mr. Tom,

I posted this as a contest to see if people could guess, with the winner having won a "freebee" on me; instead a bunch of (shall I say, "Disgruntled") users complained and got the post locked - :a1451:

So, I guess it is OK to tell you ... Its all FEX with a little FSWC manipulation. :bump:
But, my newly installed REX v2.0 looks just as good and better is some areas... :medals:
However, I like them both.
Enjoy!:wavey:

Back on topic...

bushpilot
August 8th, 2009, 12:17
One guy was going to tell his friends to never buy from me again, because his update wouldnt work, which I had sent to him several times.

Bill, if there are customers like this, there are also those that recommend your addons for their friends and paruse different fs forums spreading a good word:jump:. That should even it out a bithttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Scratch
August 8th, 2009, 12:20
Dang! That's gotta be a pain. That's why I stayed in law enforcement so long I guess, the customer is always wrong:173go1:

Lionheart
August 8th, 2009, 12:23
Hey guys,

Thanks and all. I didnt mean to come on like I was pouting or anything. Its something that has been on my mind for a while lately. The amount of work needed to make one plane for FSX versus one plane for FS9 is astronomical. They go together swiftly for FS9. I am really really tired of animations not taking hold in FSX.

But, hey... I can just put it on hold, and work some more on the Avelina, or the Victory.

I dont mind working with most of the people that have questions when they write in, (customer support). I am really blessed with great customers. Rarely do I get a rough email, and when I do, and they want a refund, I have no qualms over that. Best to depart smiling then angry with each other. I prefer the encounters to be positive. Saves on the 'gray eyebrow anti-stress ointments' lol.... :d

The main thing I was pointing out is that my FSX planes, in pure FSX format, have problems working on all FSX installations. I get alot of mail from people having issues in FSX and perhaps 3 this year with people that had issues running my planes in FS9. (Ok, maybe 4). The difference is, again, astronomical.

I think I'll take the weekend off from the Epic FSX switches and do some fun Mesh work. :d

Gauge code... arrghh..! :isadizzy:

blobs
August 8th, 2009, 12:36
Hi Bill
you probably do not remember me, but I want to part quote something to you that you sent me, what seems a long time ago now.
Quote Lionheart 24-06-08
" Hey Bob,
No worries. I love to help out as much as I humanly can. I was once there, and it was help by others that got me where I am today.
If you have a question or questions, please let me know what they are.
Great plane though! Keep up the great work. Dont be overwhelmed. One piece at a time is all you should focus on. Cant do 10 things at once. Focus on one, not many. ;)
Bill "

It helped me during my down period with many of the issues I had , I hope it may do the same for you now as it did for me then.
best regards.
blobs.

cheezyflier
August 8th, 2009, 12:40
Dang! That's gotta be a pain. That's why I stayed in law enforcement so long I guess, the customer is always wrong:173go1:

it's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.

jdhaenens
August 8th, 2009, 13:00
The light at the end of the tunnel is not really a train. I'm good with venting and I feel your pain. I don't know how you do it, Bill, but I'm glad you do.

Jim

Scratch
August 8th, 2009, 13:45
it's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.

It was a joke meant to cause someone to smile who could use one, not to provoke a kneejerk response.

Lionheart
August 8th, 2009, 13:52
Hi Bill
you probably do not remember me, but I want to part quote something to you that you sent me, what seems a long time ago now.
Quote Lionheart 24-06-08
" Hey Bob,
No worries. I love to help out as much as I humanly can. I was once there, and it was help by others that got me where I am today.
If you have a question or questions, please let me know what they are.
Great plane though! Keep up the great work. Dont be overwhelmed. One piece at a time is all you should focus on. Cant do 10 things at once. Focus on one, not many. ;)
Bill "

It helped me during my down period with many of the issues I had , I hope it may do the same for you now as it did for me then.
best regards.
blobs.

Thanks Blobs,

Much appreciated. That is 'exactly' the case I should be doing on these switches. Yesterday, I was trying to diagnose 3 or more at a time, like a juggling act. Today, its just one switch... And the bugger still wont get on track, lol...

How did your plane turn out? Any screenshots?

Bill

robcap
August 8th, 2009, 13:59
If I ever have any thoughts about doing aircraft for FSX, I will come back to read this. :mixedsmi:Don't let Bill discourage you milton :icon_lol:

Rob

MCDesigns
August 8th, 2009, 14:02
Bill, nice try, but I am still not going back to FS9, LOL :173go1::d

That really gets to me and you are a bigger man than me for being able to handle it, probably why I don't do FS design commercially.

hang in there brother!! :ernae:

Lionheart
August 8th, 2009, 14:11
Don't let Bill discourage you milton :icon_lol:

Rob

Milton, I second that. Some people and planes go great in FSX. Imagine your twin Beechcraft with bump maps of high resolution rivets, buffeted panel sections. There are some cool things about FSX.

Michael,

Im not trying to bring people back to FS9. Just some points about how difficult it can be at times, both to Dev and Customer/installer.

:ernae:

It works for some, and not for others.

harleyman
August 8th, 2009, 14:21
Bill...You just keep doing what you do my friend.....:wavey:

We all love your products and will always be a loyal fan base for you ...

Brett_Henderson
August 8th, 2009, 15:07
Vent away.. you have every right to.. we don't mind . You're not ony a fabulous modeler, you're an extremely helpful member of the modeling community :wiggle:

I've only done freeware, but as you know.. we get our share of unhappy "customers" too :kilroy:

The conversion stuff (FS9 to FSX) to me.. is effort that can be put into new models. I just can't bring myself to look back.

And Milton ? It would be difficult to express enough appreciation for your efforts. Your Dash-7 is like a simming landmark to me. That type of simming experience from freeware, is always in the back of my mind as a goal, when I'm pushing polygons.. :applause:

Right now.. I'm up to my ears in a Convair 240 :isadizzy:

Cobra8472
August 8th, 2009, 16:56
Having worked on quite a few different engines in my short career, I can without a doubt say that the FS X SDK and Dev Process to integrate new aircraft into the sim is absolutely awful.

Fortunately I am just doing textures nowadays :)

I can definitely sympathize!

Keep up the good work!

cheezyflier
August 8th, 2009, 18:02
It was a joke meant to cause someone to smile who could use one, not to provoke a kneejerk response.

i knew that, but i couldn't resist. you left the door wide open. how could i not poke at that one? it was way to easy. i try to behave, but by nature i'm a smart @55

Scratch
August 8th, 2009, 21:49
i knew that, but i couldn't resist. you left the door wide open. how could i not poke at that one? it was way to easy. i try to behave, but by nature i'm a smart @55

Here's my kneejerk response:ernae: Touche':icon_lol:

BananaBob
August 8th, 2009, 22:39
My head exploded half way through your explanation to what you go through, after that my brain did not compute, too much stress for this guy, LOL! Thanks Bill! :medals::medals:

Francois
August 8th, 2009, 23:53
Fully with you there Bill...... and I am not even modeling the stuff myself !!!!! But seeing (and handling) the same kind of troubles and having similar frustrations every day.... :wavey:

n4gix
August 9th, 2009, 08:54
Much appreciated. That is 'exactly' the case I should be doing on these switches. Yesterday, I was trying to diagnose 3 or more at a time, like a juggling act. Today, its just one switch... And the bugger still wont get on track, lol...

Bill, I can empathize with your frustrations...

I've been working for a solid 60 hours on just a single Waypoint Page for my version of the G1000 MFD. It is particularly frustrating because this one page is a conflation of four separate pages in all of the "sample scripts" available for various GNS variations.

I have to completely rework the @Macros such that the "blinking cursor" will rotate through the various "select items" on the page...

I had it working perfectly day-before-yesterday, then yesterday discovered that something else I'd done on subsequent pages had "broken" my formerly working @Macro reworks... Ugh! :isadizzy:

stiz
August 9th, 2009, 09:20
this proves it ... do planes made before 1945 or go insane with frustration at all the moderen glass stuff :icon_lol:

empeck
August 9th, 2009, 11:43
this proves it ... do planes made before 1945 or go insane with frustration at all the moderen glass stuff :icon_lol:

Agreed!

some1
August 9th, 2009, 14:00
Agreed!

Naah, remember Eastwood and Firefox? You just have to think in Russian.

Piglet
August 9th, 2009, 14:30
Naw, plane making for FSX ain't hard... well, maybe....:ernae:

Naah, remember Eastwood and Firefox? You just have to think in Russian
Gotta think in SDK!:applause:

Bjoern
August 9th, 2009, 16:35
If I ever have any thoughts about doing aircraft for FSX, I will come back to read this. :mixedsmi:

Why?

As a freeware developer, you're...well...free to do whatever the heck you want. :d

And Bill, have you ever tried building a native FSX model and then back-converting it to FS9? As far as I've heard this is possible and easier than the other (and more common way 'round).