PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen

DHC120
August 7th, 2009, 12:51
I haven't "flown" in CFS2 in a while, like a couple of years and a couple of computers ago!
Well, the bug bit me and I loaded CFS2 into my computer.
I noticed that the "Splash Screen" shown during the loading process looked rather small.. maybe 6"x8".. give or take. After it loaded, I selected the "Menus" box, thinking this would get me to the Flight Controls so I might set-up my Yoke, Rudder Pedals and Throttle Quadrants.. instead I got something like a "Play" or "Exit" screen.. I opted for "Play". My main monitor went black (the second monitor was still showing it's desktop), I could hear what I believe was the "Intro Movie Music" (no battle sounds, just music).. but no video at all. I waited, thinking CFS2 would "open" after the music stopped.. Nope! Still a Black Screen.
I uninstalled CFS2 and reinstalled it.. Same thing..
My computer is "home built".. Running an Athlon64 X2 6000+ 2.4GHz Processor, Four Gigs of RAM, a 200 Gig Hard-Drive (with nearly 130Gigs Free Space) and a Fatal1ty 8500GT Graphics Card (with two 18" [diag measure] monitors plugged into it). I don't have any problems running IL-2, FS9 "Flying Fortress" (an old Micropose/Hasbro game), or FSX (other than FSX is crap).
Any clue as to what might be wrong? Any suggestions?
Charles.

mariereid
August 7th, 2009, 13:51
I can't remember installing the game, that clearly, but I think I clicked set up or settings and it went to screen where you could select play. Hang on, I have cfs2 on a second pc ( just to look at files ) I will uninstall and install it again and see if I can find something that helps. I'm not the best person on pc, but I'll give it a shot, hang in there.

mariereid
August 7th, 2009, 14:17
Hey DHC, I just re installed CFS2. When the disc are all done, and the first window showed up I chose "setup menu". Another window opened and I chose "play" and she was good to go. Sorry if that's not much help. I am sure if you stick around a much wiser person will help you

The_Editor
August 7th, 2009, 15:53
I haven't "flown" in CFS2 in a while, like a couple of years and a couple of computers ago!
Well, the bug bit me and I loaded CFS2 into my computer.
I noticed that the "Splash Screen" shown during the loading process looked rather small.. maybe 6"x8".. give or take. After it loaded, I selected the "Menus" box, thinking this would get me to the Flight Controls so I might set-up my Yoke, Rudder Pedals and Throttle Quadrants.. instead I got something like a "Play" or "Exit" screen.. I opted for "Play". My main monitor went black (the second monitor was still showing it's desktop), I could hear what I believe was the "Intro Movie Music" (no battle sounds, just music).. but no video at all. I waited, thinking CFS2 would "open" after the music stopped.. Nope! Still a Black Screen.
I uninstalled CFS2 and reinstalled it.. Same thing..
My computer is "home built".. Running an Athlon64 X2 6000+ 2.4GHz Processor, Four Gigs of RAM, a 200 Gig Hard-Drive (with nearly 130Gigs Free Space) and a Fatal1ty 8500GT Graphics Card (with two 18" [diag measure] monitors plugged into it). I don't have any problems running IL-2, FS9 "Flying Fortress" (an old Micropose/Hasbro game), or FSX (other than FSX is crap).
Any clue as to what might be wrong? Any suggestions?
Charles.

Does the CFS2.cfg file contain this:

LOADWINDOW=0

if so, then change it to...

LOADWINDOW=1

... and see if that does it.

DHC120
August 7th, 2009, 20:52
Hey DHC, I just re installed CFS2. When the disc are all done, and the first window showed up I chose "setup menu". Another window opened and I chose "play" and she was good to go. Sorry if that's not much help. I am sure if you stick around a much wiser person will help you

All help is appreciated.. Thanks for trying, at least.
Charles.

DHC120
August 7th, 2009, 21:02

LOADWINDOW=0

LOADWINDOW=1

Eala;
Thanks for the reply.
My CFS2 was a fresh install from the original (aka Legal) CD's. I had never messed with the CFG or any other files/folder in the Sim.
The CFS2.CFG showed the following:
No "LOADWINDOW" at all.
Under [MAIN] is:
ShowLogo=1
ShowMovie=1.
Under [PERFS] is:
DEMO=0.
FULLSCREEN=2.
FULL_640=1.
Does this tell you anything?
Charles.

The_Editor
August 8th, 2009, 09:25
Here are my entries down to the loadwindow:

[LANGUAGE]
DLL=english.fll
[MAIN]
ShowLogo=0
ShowMovie=0 *Do this to disable the startup movie
Maximized=0
Location=0,0,1024,768
RUNNINGBADHW=0
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
Display_Fractional_Minutes=1
[PANELS]
IMAGE_QUALITY=1
HUD_COLOR=6
[Weather]
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
MinGustTime=10
MaxGustTime=500
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MinVarTime=5
MaxVarTime=50
MinVarRampSpeed=1
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=1.000000
DefaultVisibility=0
WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com
WeatherServerPort=80
[PREFS]
ADF_500_HZ=0
ADVANCED_WEATHER=0
ASLAT=3
ASLON=0
COM_RATE=7
DEMO=0
FULL_SCREEN=2
FULL_640=1
Keyboard_Current=cfs2
SOUND_FADER1=0.500000
SOUND_FADER2=0.500000
SOUND_FADER3=0.500000
SOUND_FADER4=0.500000
SOUND_FADER5=0.500000
AIRCRAFT_TEXTURE=1
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
GROUND_SHADOWS=1
HAZE_FLAG=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=0
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
IMAGE_SMOOTHING=0
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64
LOADSIM=0
LOADWEATHER=0
LOADWINDOW=1

DHC120
August 26th, 2009, 21:55
Here are my entries down to the loadwindow:

<Snipped>
Keyboard_Current=cfs2
SOUND_FADER1=0.500000
SOUND_FADER2=0.500000
SOUND_FADER3=0.500000
SOUND_FADER4=0.500000
SOUND_FADER5=0.500000
AIRCRAFT_TEXTURE=1
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
GROUND_SHADOWS=1
HAZE_FLAG=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=0
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
IMAGE_SMOOTHING=0
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64
LOADSIM=0
LOADWEATHER=0
LOADWINDOW=1

Sorry to be so long getting back to you and this issue.. my son's computer "died".. seems some idiot installed a pair of "High Density" RAM sticks.. And I (the idiot in question) didn't realize that the High Density sticks don't "work & play well" with an ASUS MoBo.. Killed it, in fact! (Taught me a valuable, or should I say, an expensive lesson!) Fact is, I didn't even know the RAM cards were HD.. so much for labels... AND, I found one of the two fans in the PSU wsn't working.. When it rains, it pours!
Okay, in the CFG file, using your "list", I found the "Loadweather" and "Loadwindow".. both were set to "0", I changed "Loadwindow" to "=1".
Also, your "SOUND_FADER1/5= 0.500000" is located in a different "area" than mine.. Mine are sandwiched between "TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=6" and "[SOUND]". Additionally, my "numbers" are as follows:
1=0.500000
2=0.500000
3=0.700000
4=0.600000
5=0.300000.
I don't know if that affects anything, or not..
Also, under "ADVANCED_WEATHER=0", my "ASLAT" is "=2" and "ASLON" is "=1", again, don't know if that's going to bother anything.
The good news is, the Sim now "opens" like it is suppose to. With luck, I'll do some "flying" in the next few days (I hope!)
I want to thank you very much for your "in depth" level of technical assistance.. I would have never though the CFS2.CFG file would have been "messed-up" right from a fresh install..
Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
Charles.

The_Editor
August 26th, 2009, 22:41
Glad you got things working ok.

That loadwindow fix was given to me by another member, some time ago, when I had a similar problem.

The sound settings depends(I think) on what CFS2 finds on you PC, when it first installs, motherboard, dedicated soundcard etc, so leave them at your settings if the sound works ok, same with the weather.

Just change the loadwindow. If everything else works ok, leave the other entries.

mav
December 16th, 2009, 08:07

LOADWINDOW=0

LOADWINDOW=1

Yep, did the trick & think it's stopped jumpin 50 ft in the air in Free Flight... just wonderin why it's not writin correct "CFS2.cfg " files... never had an issue like this in the past!

Thx!!! :)

CheerZ mav