PDA

View Full Version : 'C-5 Moderninzation'

Panther_99FS
August 5th, 2009, 21:24
http://www.airmanonline.af.mil/articles/story.asp?id=123156619

http://www.airmanonline.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/090422-F-5040D-995.jpg

tigisfat
August 5th, 2009, 21:28
I just found this article at work today, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This mighty aircraft needs these upgrades to continue to be viable. My only regret is that C-5s will no longer have their trademark sound.

Kiwikat
August 5th, 2009, 21:49
:ernae:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3481/3776681997_71e493ac6a_o.jpg

It may not sound the same but it is every bit as impressive.

Prowler1111
August 6th, 2009, 06:12
Saw one recently....it sounded like the biggest vacuum cleaner in the world was about to pass over my head..and when it did..man!, i had to park just to watch this behemoth, itīs really THAT impressive!..i used to see C-17īs all the time, nothing out of the extraordinary, just like ANY mid size tubeliner...but Freddy............MAN!

Prowler

viking3
August 6th, 2009, 07:34
A great bird just got better. The CF-6 is a real reliable workhorse and very easy to maintain. Any of the the Reserve or Guard guys who work for the major airlines probably are familiar with it already. I think we'll be seeing Galaxies around for a long time as the article stated that the fleet had only used up 20% of it's airframe life.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

TARPSBird
August 6th, 2009, 13:25
Now all they need to do is install filters in the a/c system to eliminate that lovely aroma of sweat, puke and old canvas that seemed to be the standard environment on the two C-5 hops I've flown. :icon_lol:

JoeW
August 6th, 2009, 14:10
I thought that was the official Marine smell!
:icon_lol:

Silver Fox
August 6th, 2009, 16:14
'sweat, puke and old canvas'

TARPSBird, that is what filtered air on a military transport smells like... assuming it's a clean one. On most others you can throw in the distinct odours of stale urine, leaking hydraulic fliud, decaying box lunch parts and excessive flatulance.

AH! The joys of military air transport! One of my fondest memories was crossing the Atlantic in a Herc'... Maybe that's because I was enroute to Tyndall AFB for a 3 week TDY during Spring Break though. :)

Reddog
August 6th, 2009, 16:48
AH! The joys of military air transport! One of my fondest memories was crossing the Atlantic in a Herc'... Maybe that's because I was enroute to Tyndall AFB for a 3 week TDY during Spring Break though. :)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

bearcat241
August 6th, 2009, 17:09
It's truly an impressive bird up close. I was on the C-5 wing mod crew at Lockheed in '81-82. We tore them apart at the center wing boxes, installed fresh boxes and other inner wing components. What a job!!!

As a kid growing up a few miles from the Dobbins AFB and Lockheed complex i watched these beast fly over the house almost daily in the late 60's and throughout the 70's. Never imagined i'd ever get my hands on one as a technician. Every part of it is truly massive...you can even stand up straight in the wing boxes with room to spare overhead, about the dimensions of a medium to large bedroom.

AckAck
August 6th, 2009, 17:32
Panther's first picture was the cockpit - I was looking for them to have replaced the yoke with an X-box or Playstation controller, so the new pilots would have an easier time transitioning.

Brian

TARPSBird
August 6th, 2009, 19:02
OH yes Kaneohe Bay to Danang in a Herc,one long a** ride I must say.
Good Lord, I can imagine. Longest C-130 hop I made was Kalamata, Greece to Valencia, Spain. We all found sleeping spots on top of the cargo where it wasn't too hot or too cold - that's hard to do in a Herc. :icon_lol:

Crusader
August 7th, 2009, 02:46
MCAS Iwakuni , Japan to Danang with a brief stop in Subic Bay in a Herc . Not a very pleasant ride .

Rich:ernae:

Railrunner130
August 7th, 2009, 11:31
I went around the world in a Herk. It wasn't too bad except for that one really, really, long day. Aside from that, it was pleasant.

tigisfat
August 7th, 2009, 22:46
'sweat, puke and old canvas'

TARPSBird, that is what filtered air on a military transport smells like... assuming it's a clean one.

Clearly you gentlemen haven't enjoyed the luxurious ride the C-17 world has to offer. Clean air, smooth going, easy landings, in and out of anywhere and high technology are just a few of the many great things the Air Force's best airlifter have to offer.