PDA

View Full Version : Just venting---

airfighterjohn
August 5th, 2009, 03:49
It seems I have now joined the ranks of the unemployed in Tennessee. I was terminated from my job yesterday for complaining about a fellow employee who is never at work on time, comes in intoxicated often and sits at her desk gabbing or texting on her cell phone. I don't know what is going on between her and upper management, but I fully intend to file a complaint with the Department of Labor. At least that is the excuse they used. The REAL reason is I discovered this company is requiring people to work on holidays then not paying overtime for working more than 40 hours during that holiday week. They claim that since they pay a premium for working holidays that they don't have to count that day in the normal 40 hour week. After complaining to DOL about that practice it was just a few days before they found a "reason" to fire me. I guess next step is to sue them...As a result of this, I am probably going to lose my house and car...

jmig
August 5th, 2009, 03:55
Keep you head up, friend. It does suck. The pain, the depression, and the frustration are real. However, it could be an opportunity.

Good luck and God speed!

airfighterjohn
August 5th, 2009, 03:55
Thanks for the encouraging words...

cheezyflier
August 5th, 2009, 05:10
fight the good fight, man. we'll pray for you and yours.
i hate when companies pull that garbage. with all my heart, i hope you really stick it to them good.

Lionheart
August 5th, 2009, 08:00
What CF said...

Goodness... Its rough times.

I worked for Ford for a while, testing the Escape model line. Its actually a Land Rover design built by BMW which Ford converted to Ford during the Land Rover take-over. We tested it non stop to get its mileage requirement for road worthiness in America. We worked (I swear this) up to 14 hours a day, driving, shuttling these back and fourth to Kansas City plant and back to Phoenix.

Now, the details. They would only pay us 11 hours a day. They (Subsidary called Budd corporation) would 'lose' the hours as over 11 hours a day is 'illegal' for a hired driver to drive in the USA.

Second, the tires were the Firestones that go Explodie when driving 70+ MPH. The new money based technology of leaving one to two layers of the tire laminates out to make the tires cheaper. Brilliant on paper. The Union at Ford didnt allow their poeple to drive the death tires. Ford hired Budd to secretly test these vehicles at several 'fake' bases, one being in Phoenix. A base was 'permission to park 'these trucks' behind your building in this parking lot'. The meetings took place at a Dennys coffe shop, 15+ drivers. Driving was 6 days a week, Sundays off, with shuttles to Kansas, as well as in-state mileage accumulation.

Third, near the end when they were about good with their mileage, paychecks stopped coming in. Mine was 1 month behind. I called a guy in Michigan at Budd and he found out about my late check and had it sent out. They fired him for that.

Fourth, I found out why we werent allowed to tour the Ford plant in Kansas City. We were considered scabs, so Ford, to keep things going smooth with the employees, kept us secret. We were hearded into a small lot behind the factory. Totally off limits.

I started a party that would file suit against Ford and Budd for this. We couldnt lock down a lawyer that wanted it, lol..

Thats why I do not care for ford. They might make a couple of nice cars, but the people behind the machine arent good.

Selling Land Rover to the Indians was the death sentence to Land Rover, in my humble opinion. What was the first SUV and the pride of Sullihull and England, the car of Royalty, was pirated and stripped and scrapped out to a India firm, basically burying them. All those jobs in Sollihull, lost...

arghh..

airfighterjohn
August 5th, 2009, 08:31
Thanks guys--been talking to Department of labor in Knoxville. I might be unemployed, but the owner will very probably lose his business. They said he will probably be required to reimburse ALL employees for their overtime, and he will probably be liable for up to $10000 for each violation--she said that meant for EACH violation for each and every employee. She said if he cannot do this, he will probably be required to close. Another tidbit--it seems that a Worker's Comp claim for an injury I sustained at work a couple years ago was not paid...I got a letter from a collector stating that since the insurance company still has not paid the claim, I am liable for the bill. Got a good ambulance chaser and he states that I can recover the amount of the bill, punitive damages for the damage to my creditand possibly other damages as well. It was clearly work related--a piece of equipment at work broke my hand--on the job. Total bill--$5495.00. I hope he gets all he deserves. Both the attorney and the Department of Labor said I should not be denied unemployment benefits because of this. It also seems he has been under investigation for quite some time....

Henry
August 5th, 2009, 08:34
Welcome to the world of unemployment!
you probably do have a good case and you need to work on it,
i always find when one door closes another opens
and often for the better
just look at the glass as half full and not half empty
Good luck
H

Toastmaker
August 5th, 2009, 08:51
I agreee with comments above. The bad news is that you've been thrust into a very scarey situation. The good news is you have a very strong case which will likely be settled by the employers liability insurance co.

You may wind up with a fairly large amount in a compensatory settlement.

Good luck -

hey_moe
August 5th, 2009, 08:55
Hi John, sorry to hear of your bad news.No matter what anybody says in here it still stress's the hell out of you and the family.Even getting one of those small unemployment checks is do do compared to what you were bringing home.Hang in there...the man upstairs never gives ya more than you can handle....though sometimes I wonder if that part is true...lol...Mike

mike_cyul
August 5th, 2009, 10:56
If you can make it into an opportunity for you, then you win. And if you can stick it to the people who did this to you, then all the better.

Had this kind of thing happen to me a few times, but it somehow always turned out to be a good thing in the end.

Mike

Lionheart
August 5th, 2009, 11:11
I hope you get what you deserve out of this John. That would be really good. Companies should not get away with stealing and ripping off their employees. In my eyes, thats the same as them going into a Walmart and stealing something out of the store. People go to jail for that every day.

Sorry about my long story above. I used to many words to describe a similar situation. I wish all the guys I worked with would have gotten their paychecks. They werent lucky (blessed) like I was. I actually lost my apartment and moved at back home. Total loss... arrgh.

Lets hope you get all your back earnings so you will have money in the bank to survive on until you get that 'better job'! Like Henry said, sometimes its a blessing and you end up with a better job in the end.

Bill

Dirtman
August 5th, 2009, 11:42
Yo airfighterjohn;

Go git 'um Bro ..... BBQ their sorry a$$es.

Nail 'um to a cross & let the nails rust
- use some salt for extra displeasure!

Panther_99FS
August 5th, 2009, 12:13
#@#@#......

I wish the best for you though....

Navy Chief
August 5th, 2009, 15:21
AirfighterJohn,

Go after them, tooth and nail. Bust'em. Get what's coming to you, and MORE. I am pulling for you.

NC

airfighterjohn
August 5th, 2009, 15:45
Thanks Chief---if we lose our house we will probably be coming down that way for awhile--we may have to get a camping spot in the Cherokee for a couple of weeks until I can straighten things out.
We are actually discussing primitive if need be--we've done it before and can do it again--seems we always bounce back. Heck--our vacation was going primitive up at Dale Hollow and it was a blast, that's where our avatar came from--it was a great time...

hey_moe
August 5th, 2009, 15:54
John...with all the problems that mortgage companies are having with foreclosure in the US...you would be surprised at how many are helping the homeowner out. The market is flooded with so many that banks can't keep up. Most banks in the past wouldn't let ya get but just a few months behind before they start the process....now most are carrying the load from 6 months to a year....remember the last thing they want is for you to default on the loan because they have no place to move it...Mike

airfighterjohn
August 5th, 2009, 15:58
Unfortunately, Moe, we don't own the house---we were in the process of trying to buy it when this happened...

Trans_23
August 5th, 2009, 17:08
We are all pullin for ya here John! Good luck with whatever happens.

airfighterjohn
August 5th, 2009, 18:28
Whatever happens God Bless You all for being there. Your support has made this tough time easier.

John and Teresa

FAC257
August 6th, 2009, 13:14
Here's what happens on the other side of the coin sometimes....

I just found out on Monday that I have to let 6 of my employees go. Budget changes, economy etc etc.

They all have to be off the payroll no later than the end of this month. This gives me three weeks to work with. None of them know it yet and I didn't want to say anything to them before I tried to work some magic behind the scenes. But at the bare minimum I wanted to give them at least 2 weeks notice with the ability to get in as many hours as they wanted before the cut-off date.

All 6 of these guys have been as hard working and as loyal as any employer could ever ask a worker to be. The two longer term guys have been with me for 5 years.

I just got off the phone a few minutes ago, and it looks like before I even get to the point where I have to give them a two week notice, I will have already found new permenant full time jobs for all 6 of them with excellent companies. At least that has been my goal for them and so far it looks really good. If things go perfectly they won't see a change in pay or an interuption in getting a paycheck.

FAC

airfighterjohn
August 6th, 2009, 14:44
FAC, I sure wish I had worked for you. I could understand if I were laid off due to the economy, instead of crazy things done by my general manager. What is sad is I am not the first person this has happened to over the past four years. Very unfortunately, in this area jobs are few and far between, with unemployment now over 15%. Now, mind you, those figures are only for the percentage of people that have applied for unemployment, not those who cannot do so, because they do not have the requisite number of quarters worked. When a State Human Resources worker called this man this morning to ask him what happened, he actually refused to speak to her!!! He will not even let me pick up my paycheck--he says it will be mailed. I have already filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against him. Amazingly, it seems he has done this so many times, unemployment rubber stamps approvals for people who has been terminated by him. Sadly though, it will take up to six weeks to get my first check. By that time we will probably be homeless....

Henry
August 6th, 2009, 15:06
Sadly though, it will take up to six weeks to get my first check. By that time we will probably be homeless....
Nah it will not
if ya need help ask
im getting to be a pro for unemployment:kilroy:
H

CADFather
August 7th, 2009, 16:18
Been out of work myself since January of this year, I'm just down the road right outside of Chattanooga, TN. Things are looking mighty bleak at this point, luckily my wife still has her job and we've been able to keep our heads above water. My unemployment claim was denied and I have appealed that, still no word on when the appeal hearing will be. We may be neighbors in the woods here real shortly.
CAD

HouseHobbit
August 7th, 2009, 16:47
I have to say your stories are truly heartbreaking it sounds like you neede a Good Union to protect you from these terrible companies..i am retired but after 30 years of working it is a Blessing..

airfighterjohn
August 7th, 2009, 18:50
We have two months at most left in this house. If I don't get a job before then, we are out of here. Our landlord has agreed to give us that much, because we have not been late on a rent payment in YEARS. A lot of good it will do if we can't pay our utilities. My wife has to take care of our stepson--disabled from birth so she can't work. The ONLY income we have coming in at this point is his Social Security and it won't pay all the bills...Thanks for your concern, however

FlyTexas
August 7th, 2009, 19:02
You and your family are in my prayers, airfighterjohn. From what I've read on this forum there are a lot of us here hurting right now. I myself am seeking gainful employment after just being divorced from my wife of 23 years. Life sucks but we need to keep going, gents. A note to the admins - How about creating a sub-forum for us who are down on our luck...you could name it Obamaville. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooverville for the reasons for the name. On this sub-forum we could share job opportunities we've come across; money-saving tips, and just be there for each other. Seriously.

Brian

n4gix
August 7th, 2009, 19:55
How about we form a non-profit company, pool our resources and obtain an apartment building for the flightsim homeless?

My final battle with the mortgage holder has just about run its full course. I'm expecting an eviction notice anytime within the next sixty days or thereabouts. :pop4:

mike_cyul
August 7th, 2009, 21:01
My final battle with the mortgage holder has just about run its full course. I'm expecting an eviction notice anytime within the next sixty days or thereabouts. :pop4:

Hope you find a way around that, Bill. Not fun.

Mike

FlyTexas
August 7th, 2009, 21:22
How about we form a non-profit company, pool our resources and obtain an apartment building for the flightsim homeless?

Sounds like a plan although I can't imagine ya'll being very happy when I start cooking my Indian food. That'll run ya'll right out of the building. :icon_lol:

Brian

Chacha
August 7th, 2009, 21:47
Hey Airfighterjohn,

Like Henry said, When one door closes a gate opens. I pray you get a great job you enjoy and treats you good. God Bless,

Eli

airfighterjohn
August 8th, 2009, 21:25
Well, amazingly, I got my determination letter from unemployment today and it looks like I have been approved for 26 weeks---ooohhh!!! a whole 188 bucks a week---at least we won't starve, but thats about it...