PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX Computer Case recommendations?

airtj
August 2nd, 2009, 19:24
Just wondering what kind of case would be better for the GTX 8800? I have an old Antec case that doesn't get enough air flow through it. Thanks for the advice!

MenendezDiego
August 2nd, 2009, 19:30
All I have to say is lucky *******...my power supply has enough cables for 6 hard drives...alot of tie wrapping :kilroy:

As for case, not sure (my Dad, HP Engineer builds my PC's for me. Try searching Fry's web site. Last time I checked out one of their stores they had some monster cases at good prices)

Diego

pied
August 2nd, 2009, 19:35
I have an Antec 900, lots of flow!

PIED

Tako_Kichi
August 2nd, 2009, 20:00
I have an Ultra tower that stays pretty cool with an E8400 C2D CPU, 4 Gb of DDR2 RAM, 2 HDs, 1 DVDRW, a 600W PSU and a GT8800 GFX card.

Mind you there are SIX fans in it! :isadizzy:

Wulf190
August 2nd, 2009, 20:05
I use a Cooler Master 690. Its a mid tower, but it is a joy to work in and round. Lots of options for extra fans and where you can put cables.

mfitch
August 2nd, 2009, 22:49
I use a Cooler Master 690. Its a mid tower, but it is a joy to work in and round. Lots of options for extra fans and where you can put cables.

I second this nomination. It was the nicest case I have ever used for a home built. My video is a Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 (similar in size).

harleyman
August 3rd, 2009, 02:14
That case of yours should have good air flow..What is that strapped to the bottom front???

If you would recable that case and get the things stuffed into a front bay that are extra you will find it runs much cooler..Cables restrict air flow big time..

What are all your temps now??? CPU Graphics

I find the best case is the ..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021 I have two of them and have built more with it..

The newer HAF is great too ! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

hey_moe
August 3rd, 2009, 02:27
I found out the best thing to do on buying a case is to buy the biggest one you can afford. It is always better to have a bigger case than needed it will always come in handy when ya need more space.....kinda like a garage...it is never big enough...lol...Mike

jmig
August 3rd, 2009, 04:48

I have built two computers using this case and I like it too. Plenty of room with cable stays and fans. I love the way they put drive screws along the drive box. Never have to search for a screw that will fit.

The 3.5in drive bay set up is easy to use and a joy.

kilo delta
August 3rd, 2009, 05:07
Your own case is plenty big enough....but you really need to route the cabling out of sight. That mass of wiring is severly restricting the airflow in the case.

ryanbatc
August 3rd, 2009, 05:42
Theres a thread on avsim about this....

If you have money to spend and want a high quality case look at the Silverstone TJ10 series

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163091

Daube
August 3rd, 2009, 06:06
I have an Antec 900, lots of flow!

PIED

Same here, and my 8800GTX fits perfectly into it.

Bjoern
August 3rd, 2009, 08:09
You could still move the HDDs up into the drive bays and thus out of the way. Adapters for fitting and fixing them properly shouldn't be that expensive.

atf300
August 3rd, 2009, 08:46
Thermaltake Armor Series !!!

harleyman
August 3rd, 2009, 09:48
Thermaltake Armor Series !!!

Give me an A-MEN.....! LOL

airtj
August 3rd, 2009, 12:12
While playing the game for a while the graphic card go up to 46*C , CPU 44*C and mother board 37*C and got some texture problems. Here is a screen shot
What is the point of the duct on the panel door? Would it help to add a big fan under that to aide in cooling. Thanks for the help.

harleyman
August 3rd, 2009, 12:27
Your temps are very good...

That artifacting is probably your system running out of memory...

Ever get the OOM error?

That duct is for air flow over your CPU or Graphics card..Whereever it sits...

YES A good 92mm fan would be nice there..And easy to do...Just need to get power to it..But Hey..You got plenty of Power cables right there...LOL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119069

Nice blue LED fan...You may want a smaller one..Just measure the opening and size for that, making sure you have enough to drill the 4 mounting holes..You will need to get 4 fan screws too...Hardware store will do...

UnknownGuest12
August 3rd, 2009, 17:46
Have a Cooler Master Cosmos S and I'm pretty satisfied with it...some big silent fans,,,

GT182
August 3rd, 2009, 18:57
Thermaltake has some great full tower cases that will give you great airflow. I've never regretted buying my Xaser III 4 years ago.... their newer cases are even better yet. Especially with a 250mm fan. Now that's airflow.

stansdds
August 4th, 2009, 02:09
I've seen that with my system, but so far only on the ground in exterior view, panning around very quickly, usually only the first time I pan 360* and it only happens with a few add on aircraft. I think it is a memory issue, the system basically being overwhelmed with data and it can't handle it fast enough. Just a thought.

harleyman
August 4th, 2009, 02:45
I've seen that with my system, but so far only on the ground in exterior view, panning around very quickly, usually only the first time I pan 360* and it only happens with a few add on aircraft. I think it is a memory issue, the system basically being overwhelmed with data and it can't handle it fast enough. Just a thought.

Agreed......................

airtj
August 13th, 2009, 10:29
I've added a 90MM fan to the side to pull in some more air. The same thing is happening after some time playing in the flight sim. Here is a picture
I've upgraded my memory to 4 GB of OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-800. Could this be a power supply issue? Thanks for all the advice

CBris
August 13th, 2009, 12:32
I'd go for a Thermaltake case - One of the Xasers perhaps? I plan on rebuilding my PC with one of these or an ArmorX and they look really well thought out.

Bjoern
August 14th, 2009, 08:41
I've added a 90MM fan to the side to pull in some more air. The same thing is happening after some time playing in the flight sim. Here is a picture

I've had this happen due to a too high value for the buffer pools. Choked my old 8800GTS within minutes.

harleyman
August 14th, 2009, 11:40

Correcto.........:ernae: