PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake here this morning.....

Navy Chief
August 1st, 2009, 18:05
This morning I was out in our driveway, and had just finished cleaning out the back of my truck when I heard (what sounded like) a very large explosion, and the ground shook.

It was actually a 3.2 magnitude earthquake, and the epicenter was only 5 miles from me,near Ducktown, TN.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32251783/ns/us_news/

Californians are used to earthquakes, but they aren't too common where I am!

NC

N2056
August 1st, 2009, 18:47
I had one wake me up here a couple of weeks ago :wiggle:

I think this is the one you felt...
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/sehnw0801a.php

Piglet
August 1st, 2009, 21:10

Under 8.0 magnitude, we sleep thru them.

Dangerousdave26
August 5th, 2009, 15:38

NC

Get ready for them when the New Madrid Fault cuts loose again you could be in for quite the show.

:pop4: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone) <--- Click

Actually if they get another 8.2 like in 1811 the whole country will come to a stand still for a few days if not weeks.

airfighterjohn
August 5th, 2009, 15:52
I'm just 100 miles from there--we didn't feel anything, but we heard about it right after it happened. Quakes are pretty rare in the Smokies, but they DO happen once in awhile...

Willy
August 5th, 2009, 17:02
He's a long ways from the New Madrid. That's on my end of Tennessee. Reelfoot lake is about a 30 min drive from my house.

airfighterjohn
August 5th, 2009, 18:32
Yeah, but an 8.0 earthquake can do damage for hundreds of miles around...

GT182
August 7th, 2009, 16:08
They're just saying was an earthquake NC. It was really a sonic boom from one of the FSX jets. ;) LOL

Really tho, those things gave me the willies up north. We'd have a couple just powerful enugh to shake things up but do no damage. We eaen had one back in 2004 or 5 before we moved that the epicenter was less than 20 miles away. It was a bit spooky to say the least.

Panther_99FS
August 7th, 2009, 16:28
NC

Chief,
Do some reading/research on the "New Madrid" fault - what you'll find is quite scary.....

PRB
August 7th, 2009, 16:31
And I moved here from California. What luck!

Navy Chief
August 7th, 2009, 19:15
Chief,
Do some reading/research on the "New Madrid" fault - what you'll find is quite scary.....

Just as is the case with what's happening politically with this country - I would rather NOT know!

Ostriches have it figured out. It's hard to get upset over something when you don't see it coming...............

NC

Chacha
August 8th, 2009, 07:16
And I moved here from California. What luck!

I was in Cali, when the 1988 Earthquake happened. It was a nightmare. Scarry. What you don't know won't scare you!

Eli