PDA

View Full Version : Thumbnail oddity

falcon409
August 1st, 2009, 14:05
I used to use Snapshooter2007 for all my screenshots but since I went over to Windows7, that program is no longer compatible, so I started using FRAPS to handle that. I had some aircraft that lacked thumbs and so I knocked them out with fraps, cropped and saved them to their individual texture files. However when I went back into FSX, they still had no thumbnails. I opened several of the texture folders and sure enough, no thumbnails. I went back into PSP8 and used the "recent" menu and opened the last thumbnail I'd saved and it showed to be in the correct texture folder, so I went to the "open" menu and browsed to another texture folder and sure enough the thumbnail was there, however in the lower left of the image was a "lock" icon. . .a little gold padlock stuck on the lower left corner of the image and after checking all the folders I found that all of them were the same. For some reason, PSP saved the images to the correct folders but they're locked out.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

harleyman
August 1st, 2009, 15:58
I am going to be no help...I wish I knew..

SledgeHammer to bust the lock ? Sorry.. I am no help...:kilroy:

Lionheart
August 1st, 2009, 16:16
Man... This reaks of vista...

Try this. Open in PSP, save to Desktop. In Desktop, copy, and paste into the texture folder and see what that does....

If that doesnt work, and you already have one on Desktop (copy), then delete the locked version in the texture folder, and then drag a copy into the texture folder 'fresh'.

Bill

EDIT: Look around in the 'folder options' and see if there is something about securities...

falcon409
August 1st, 2009, 17:41
Man... This reaks of vista...

Try this. Open in PSP, save to Desktop. In Desktop, copy, and paste into the texture folder and see what that does....
That did it Bill. Gonna take a bit to get these all done, but at least I know it can be done now. Thanks!!!

FAC257
August 2nd, 2009, 04:08
Not really any help but a different result. W7 7100RC.

I just tried using both Fraps and FsScreen to make some thumbnails. I used the same method I have been using since the dawn of FSX and no locked thumbnails on this end. I've never seen a locked thumbnail and find that actually interesting.

Fraps - Registered ver 2.9.6 build 7637
Snapped pic to get thumbnail, used PSP9.01 to edit to proper size, inserted in FSX. Thumbnail showed properly.

FsScreen - Original version
Snapped pic to get thumbnail, used PSP9.01 to edit to proper size, inserted in FSX. Thumbnail showed properly.

I don't have either program set to run with any special properties or permissions. They are configured as they would be from a default installation of both.

For what it's worth I still put my money on FSScreen as the best screenshooter I've ever used. I haven't tried all of them but have tried many that folks have mentioned over the years. It runs with a very small memory footprint, Fraps = 6200k vs FsScreen = 1380k. It takes a pic of your entire screen or screens if your using multiple monitors. It's a true WYSIWYG camera utilty. The default format is full size .bmp, so no loss of pic quality before you get a chance to edit it. It works inside or outside of any game or program. I keep an icon on the desktop and have it up and running almost continuosly whether I'm simming, gaming, surfing the net etc. Whatever is on the screen I can get a shot of. One thing I been using it for is to "video" document the receipt pages and confirmation pages when making online purchases in case something goes wrong with a transaction.

Plug :) "fsscreen.zip" over at Avsim

FAC

CBris
August 2nd, 2009, 06:19
If you want to screenshot the active window in bitmap, then use Alt+PrtScr

Open windows paint, press ctrl+V and crop to your heart's content.

Save as jpg

All this fuss with other programs is unnecessary.

Other programs do, of course, allow more flexibility, but that's what you pay for. Just don't forget you have built in alternatives...

falcon409
August 2nd, 2009, 06:40
If you want to screenshot the active window in bitmap, then use Alt+PrtScr. Open windows paint, press ctrl+V and crop to your heart's content. Save as jpg.
All this fuss with other programs is unnecessary.
Other programs do, of course, allow more flexibility, but that's what you pay for. Just don't forget you have built in alternatives...
Thanks for the recap on the alternatives CBris. I have to respect you for your opinions and they are many and varied, but there are also good reasons for those "other programs". . . .many of which, by the way, are free. The bitmap format is old hat anymore unless you're designing icons, otherwise the file sizes are much larger than jpegs and not as high a quality. Also, with many of the free screenshot programs, cropping is unnecessary since you can select a range of screen capture formats. I am checking with the original developer of Snapshooter2007 to see if he can tweak the program to bypass the problem I'm having with compatibility. That one program labels the image, saves to pre-specified size, places it in a folder of my choice, saves it as a jpeg and captures only the portion of the main screen I request all by simply pressing the prt scrn key. Usually, all I do with those screens is sharpen them slightly if I think they need it, otherwise pressing one button bypasses all the steps you mentioned above.

Dangerous Beans
August 2nd, 2009, 09:15
Have you tried Auto Thumbnail by Lamont Clark ?
Works directly in FSX from the menu bar.

Availale at Avsim, search for autothumbnail2.zip

falcon409
August 2nd, 2009, 09:30
Have you tried Auto Thumbnail by Lamont Clark? Works directly in FSX from the menu bar.
Yep, several times, doesn't work with Win7. The setup places the info in the exe.dll file and when I loaded FSX for the first time after that it asked if I wanted to run that program, but it doesn't load and isn't in the menu.

GT182
August 2nd, 2009, 10:17
Anyone know if FS ScreenSaver will work in Windows7? That's a good little free screen capture program I use with XP.

Falcon, send me an email and I'll send it off to you to try out.

Lionheart
August 2nd, 2009, 10:34
I like to hand make mine with Photoshop.

Also, if you insert the thumbnail name string in the Registry and give the thumbnail a custom name and drop it in the main aircraft folder of that plane, you can then make them larger, like 512 X 256. Then you get a nicer resolution with a bit of detail.

:d

Dangerous Beans
August 2nd, 2009, 10:39
Yep, several times, doesn't work with Win7. The setup places the info in the exe.dll file and when I loaded FSX for the first time after that it asked if I wanted to run that program, but it doesn't load and isn't in the menu.

Ah yes your right, I just tried it myself, probably should have done that before sugesting it.

Maybe an email to the author might help. Alternativly it comes with the source files so maybe someone else with the tools and know how might be able to fix it.

FAC257
August 2nd, 2009, 11:39
Anyone know if FS ScreenSaver will work in Windows7?

If your talking about FSScreen, then yes it works great in W7.

FAC