PDA

View Full Version : OT: Freakiest thing I've ever heard - jet in trouble.

EMatheson
July 31st, 2009, 20:48
Just about 2 minutes ago at this point, as I sit at my computer, I heard a truly terrifying sound - a jet in trouble.
I live under the southern (primary) approach path toward KSLC, about 10 miles out, so while the sound of jets taking off and landing is audible almost all of the time, it is next to unnoticeable most of the time. As I sat, I heard but paid no attention to the whooshing sound of a landing jet - until the sound abruptly turned into an extremely high and gut-wrenching mechanical scream! Just did not sound right - so I ran outside to observe the flyover and noticed that said jet now appears to be flying crabbed as far a 45* from flight path and was losing altitude at a noticeable rate. Am now monitoring local news websites and the KSLC homepage - probably the first places that news of a major crash as this appears to be becoming to my eyes would be reported...
Will report what I learn - even if it appears I overreacted...

MenendezDiego
July 31st, 2009, 20:53
Lets hope it didn't happen, and the pilot performed a missed approach

Diego

EMatheson
July 31st, 2009, 20:56
Lets hope it didn't happen, and the pilot performed a missed approach

Diego
Hoping! But I've lived here 13 years and have NEVER heard or seen something like this...

deathfromafar
July 31st, 2009, 22:57
Question, what were the ground wind/weather conditions near you at the time? Chances are he was crabbing or slipping and adding power to adjust the glideslope/descent rate. I've seen that many times, been in many when they did it. Under certain conditions, the engines can sound wildly different. I can assure you that if you were close enough, you'd in all likelihood heard and maybe seen the crash if it would have happened. I witnessed a Nomad turbo prop go in 20 years ago and will never forget the sound of the impact.

CBris
July 31st, 2009, 23:06
Watching and listening and hoping...

Anyone remember the F15 out of Basingstoke, UK, in the late 70's? I was directly under that as it screamed overhead and crashed in a field just a couple of hundred yards away - both crew popped out, but the plane was fractions of a degree from a kindergarten, an officers mess, several hangars and loads of soldiers and their families. No fatalities!

Let's hope yours is equally "saved"