PDA

View Full Version : Help, please!

wsmwsm
July 28th, 2009, 13:40
Although I've recently posted on this topic, I can't find an answer.

After years of running CFS3, ETO, MAW, etc., I've run into a serious problem with the sim. After starting and getting to the opening screen (or sometimes briefly into a flight), the game exits and I get the CFS3 needs to close message. I've done nothing to alter the game or add anything in a long time. It effects all CFS3 sims. I have no problems with any other applications.

When I click the "more details" option, the following info appears:

Problem event - APPCRASH
Application name - CFS3.exe
Appliction version - 3.1.0.3023
Application time stamp - 3e3ebe85
Fault Mod Name- CFS3.exe
Fault Mod Version - 3.1.0.3023
Fault Mod Time Stamp - 3e3ebe85
Exception Code - C0000005
Exeception Offset - 0119a27
OS Version - 6.0.6002.2.2.2.0.768.3
Local ID - 1033
Additional Information 1 - 8653
" " 2 - f3f9f71fd18d99979856a8df1581f9ac5
" " 3 - 7a7c
" " 4- 74b1cec4f5ffc930b2e51d56da898cfc

I've tried everything. Restarting the computer, running the config file, deleting the uisel. Nothing works.

Please, any help would be great.

lewis11777
July 28th, 2009, 13:55
Have you tried reinstalling any of the games?

wsmwsm
July 28th, 2009, 14:08
No. I was hoping to avoid that. Reinstalling the vanilla CFS3 would be easy, but the rest would be long and complicated.

Pat Pattle
July 28th, 2009, 21:46
Have you deleted the uisel files from each install? I've noticed on my multiple installs there is some inter-action between each one even though they have there own folder in 'application data'. Other than that I'm at a loss. What was the last thing you installed before this happened?

rbp71854
July 29th, 2009, 03:02
From what I know of CFS3 workings and the info provided, I don't believe it is a CFS3 problem. Assuming that nothing changed between the last good run on CFS3 and the problem I would think that it is a hardware problem.

If I had this problem with my box this would be my method of troubleshooting the problem.

Take the cover off the box and make sure that all the fans are operating.
Clean the insides of dust.
If all okay

Verify temps of cpu and vid processors are within operating limits when running CFS3.

Test and stress the ram memory with memory testing software.

Run performance tests on the cpu.

You should be able to find suitable testing programs by googling.

wsmwsm
July 29th, 2009, 04:12
I did delete the uisels serially, but not all at the same time.

The fans seem to be working, it's in a cool room, but I will see if I can extract any dust, etc. I really don't know how to perform the other suggestions.

If this were a hardware issue, however, why does it only impact CFS3?

Daiwilletti
July 30th, 2009, 00:38
I did delete the uisels serially, but not all at the same time.

The fans seem to be working, it's in a cool room, but I will see if I can extract any dust, etc. I really don't know how to perform the other suggestions.

If this were a hardware issue, however, why does it only impact CFS3?
Hi wsmwsm, as a first step in troubleshooting (and I have had similar issues over the years believe me) run the multicfs3.exe in each install, to check exactly which folders belong to which installs. Check the names for the application data pathway folders match exactly.

I have had situations (and it still occurs in one install) where I cannot seem to get the _mission.xml file to load and I get the flashing screen. I cannot for the life of me solve it although I've deleted uisel and other files in the application data pathway.

However one issue was that the shortcuts I had on my desktop were not finding the new installs as I'd forgotten to change the target pathway.

Another error checker is to run checkgsl.exe to see you have a function quickcombat.xml etc.

If you have to reinstall, save the original instals and try adding the important bits/folders one at a time to a clean version of cfs3.1a, running the install after each change, to try and identify the problem.

all the best,
D

wsmwsm
July 30th, 2009, 04:18
Absolutely nothing seems wrong but the problem persists. I can run the game - seemingly in perfect order - for short periods of time (which vary), but then it closes. The sim can run a minute, five minutes, ten minutes but it then stops.

I've started and stopped the computer, run the config file, deleted uisels, inserted different CFS3 discs (I have several), examined each of the game folders for faults but no help.

I'm at the point of abandoning CFS3 after years of use.

Tailwind
July 30th, 2009, 06:12
Hi,

When was the last time your ran defrag and error checking on your HDD?

Try running both. Run error checking first and when running make sure to put a check mark on "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" Reboot the machine and it will run the scan. After it cleans the drive run defrag

TW

rbp71854
July 30th, 2009, 09:46
Don't give up.

Those symptoms have the stamp of either a heat or memory problem.
How's your virtualy memory? Large enough?

Do you run CFS3 after a fresh reboot or days with you computer constantly on? Try running a fresh reboot before running CFS3 or after use of other memory intensive applications.

Until you run ram memory test software you will not remove that as a potential problem.

Absolutely nothing seems wrong but the problem persists. I can run the game - seemingly in perfect order - for short periods of time (which vary), but then it closes. The sim can run a minute, five minutes, ten minutes but it then stops.

I've started and stopped the computer, run the config file, deleted uisels, inserted different CFS3 discs (I have several), examined each of the game folders for faults but no help.

I'm at the point of abandoning CFS3 after years of use.

wsmwsm
July 30th, 2009, 13:43
Tailwind: The computer automatically defrags once a week. After this problem developed, I also manually defragged.

As to error checking, I don't know how to do that.

rpb: 307 GB of free space. Should be plenty, no?
Not certain what you mean by a fresh reboot. After this problem developed, I have completely shut off and turned on the computer repeatedly without any apparent effect.

As to running the computer, I usually run it continously an it did no result in any problems operating CFS3. Oddly enough, this time this issue took place was after the computer was off for five or six days.

Tailwind
July 30th, 2009, 14:37
Tailwind: The computer automatically defrags once a week. After this problem developed, I also manually defragged.

As to error checking, I don't know how to do that.

Hi,

Right mouse click on you C drive, go to properties, go to tools go to error checking. Click check now. In the disk options window make sure both options are checked. Click start and it will prompt you to reboot and then run the HDD scans

:ernae:

TW

wsmwsm
July 31st, 2009, 04:11
I ran the error check (no bad files as far as I could tell) and defragged (yet again). The problem persists.

I did, however, unistall and reinstall the vanilla version of CFS3. Thus far, the vanilla version has not shut down, although I haven't really pushed it. All other versions - ETO, PTO, MAW, OFF, Korea - shut down shortly after starting.

I hate to think that I will need to reinstall all of those versions with no guarantee it will work. And I still can't figure out what happened.

italflyer
July 31st, 2009, 04:35
I had quiet similar problems about two weeks back, after upgrading my RAM with two new 1GB sticks. Always when the memory-load was around 650 MB, CFS3 or the whole computer said goodby!

After a few tryings with just one or the other stick, I found out which one was good and which one wasn't. No problems since then so far (still keeping my fingers crossed while typing this!)

Lightman
August 1st, 2009, 02:12
Although I've recently posted on this topic, I can't find an answer.

After years of running CFS3, ETO, MAW, etc., I've run into a serious problem with the sim. After starting and getting to the opening screen (or sometimes briefly into a flight), the game exits and I get the CFS3 needs to close message. I've done nothing to alter the game or add anything in a long time. It effects all CFS3 sims. I have no problems with any other applications.

When I click the "more details" option, the following info appears:

Problem event - APPCRASH
Application name - CFS3.exe
Application version - 3.1.0.3023
Application time stamp - 3e3ebe85
Fault Mod Name- CFS3.exe
Fault Mod Version - 3.1.0.3023
Fault Mod Time Stamp - 3e3ebe85
Exeception Offset - 0119a27
OS Version - 6.0.6002.2.2.2.0.768.3
Local ID - 1033
Additional Information 1 - 8653
" " 2 - f3f9f71fd18d99979856a8df1581f9ac5
" " 3 - 7a7c
" " 4- 74b1cec4f5ffc930b2e51d56da898cfc

I've tried everything. Restarting the computer, running the config file, deleting the uisel. Nothing works.

Please, any help would be great.

Have you tried a clean- boot ,

Some times this will fix undesirable behaver on you computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

"Question"

Do you have multiple user accounts on your computer,
If so you have to go log into each account and run a disk clean up on each one and delete any and all temporary files and do a disk defrag on a regular basis, I have 2 other accounts on my pc , and you would not believe the difference it makes with overall performance on my pc when you do daily monitoring of your pc accounts getting rid of all the temp files

The reason for this is it free's up disk space on your hard drive

wsmwsm
August 1st, 2009, 06:36
I make sure that I clean all user accounts when doing disk cleanup. I do that with some frequency.

Although I read the Microsoft link noted above, I'm still not certain what I do to perform a "clean boot". Do I start the computer in "safe mode", then restart normally? Do I do anything else? I run Vista, does that make a difference?

I'm starting to notice two things about this issue. First, the time it takes before the game closes increases after shutting down the computer then starting up, then decreases with each subsequent use to the point that the game shuts down in (literally) seconds. Second - and I have not firmed this up yet - after having installed and reinstalled the vanilla CFS3, the problem only appears to effect the offshoots of CFS3 -ETO, MAW, PTO, OFF, Korea. However, as to number 2, I haven't run the vanilla CFS3 long enough to be certain.

Again, the most frustrating part is that I have run CFS3 and its offshoots for years without a hitch. Nothing was altered, then the problem began.

SLIP STREAM
August 1st, 2009, 10:46
wsmwsm by chance did you install microsofts update for the conflicker virus.it shuts down autorun.i had to go back to a restore point before it was installed.problem was gone.

Wyld45
August 1st, 2009, 11:29
That may be the problem I had on the older computer and I thought it was the game.Since I've had the new computer,(after the 'Ficker' threat) it hasn't done it. Thanks Slip Stream,hope that helps WSM!

Heres to "Lady Luck" WSM! :ernae:

wsmwsm
August 1st, 2009, 14:19
I receive "important" windows updates automatically. I did not install anything manually.

Does anyone know which updated is for the "ficker" virus (which I've never heard of)? Was this recent, meaning within the past few weeks?

Starspeeder_3000
August 1st, 2009, 19:46
After years of running CFS3, ETO, MAW, etc., I've run into a serious problem with the sim. After starting and getting to the opening screen (or sometimes briefly into a flight), the game exits and I get the CFS3 needs to close message. I've done nothing to alter the game or add anything in a long time. It affects all CFS3 sims. I have no problems with any other applications.

It sounds like you made some changes to your hardware since your last good CFS3 run (I'm thinking graphics card). What changes have you made to your system since the last time CFS3 ran fine and now? Windows Vista could also be the cause. There is a chance you may need to update your video drivers and run the cfs3config.exe again. There is also the possibility that you have some faulty ram on your video card (happened to me not too long ago).

wsmwsm
August 2nd, 2009, 03:03
No changes. Zero.

Lightman
August 2nd, 2009, 06:03
wsmwsm by chance did you install microsofts update for the conflicker virus.it shuts down autorun.i had to go back to a restore point before it was installed.problem was gone.

That may be the problem I had on the older computer and I thought it was the game.Since I've had the new computer,(after the 'Ficker' threat) it hasn't done it. Thanks Slip Stream,hope that helps WSM!

Heres to "Lady Luck" WSM! :ernae:

I receive "important" windows updates automatically. I did not install anything manually.

Does anyone know which updated is for the "ficker" virus (which I've never heard of)? Was this recent, meaning within the past few weeks?

Go into System Restore, Look at the calenders for any updates that were installed just before you shut down your PC and after you turned it back on , Look for any security updates and any new service pack updates

Cameljockey
August 2nd, 2009, 11:28
I have used CFS3 for quite a while on this particular machine, but last week I had to replace my HD and CFS3 hasn't worked right since. It installs and configures fine and everything works well until I go to fly. I got into the P-47 and was sitting at the end of the runway with the engine idling. I pushed the throttle forward and the picture froze but you could still hear the engine idling. After about 20 seconds the screen starts to move again and I'm either in the air or in a pile at the end of the strip. (see screenshot 1) I took a screenshot of what I thought was the plane frozen on the runway, but when I looked, the shot was the plane airborne, but closer to the field. (screenshot 2) That tells me that the game keeps running, but the screen remains frozen for a time.
The machine runs all of my other sims fine. Rise of Flight couldn't be better and it is extremely resource hungry. It just seems to be a problem with CFS3 and consequently OFF BH&H, ETO,PTO etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
CJ

wsmwsm
August 5th, 2009, 15:44
CFS3 is dead to me. I've tried everything. Intalling, reinstalling, re-booting, reconfiguring, restoring my computer to an earlier windows update, "clean booting", using different CDs, you name it. Nothing works. Sometimes it runs acceptably; most times, it closes in a few minutes. The CPU runs fine. It's not overheating, nothing is amiss. Everything else is normal.

After years of regularly running of CFS3 - for unexplained reasons - the sim is no longer viable.

wsmwsm
August 6th, 2009, 15:42
No hope, I guess.

wsmwsm
August 9th, 2009, 06:47
Is there no solution to this problem? I've searched every site I can think of without any information to solve this. I've run a registry cleaner, rolled back my graphics driver, uninstalled then reinstalled the sims (e.g. PTO, OFF) AND followed every suggestion, but no go.

The only thing I note, thus far, is that it has not yet affected my reinstalled vanilla CFS3. Other than that, no clue.

PS: I do run Vista, but it has not been an issue in the past. All of this suddenly happened recently.