PDA

View Full Version : Magic Buildings!

N2056
July 27th, 2009, 16:07
I'm hoping someone can help me solve a mystery. When I am sitting at an airport I find that depending on my zoom level I can control the visibility of airport buildings! Unfortunately at normal settings most of the buildings are gone :isadizzy:

I run an ATI 3850 pcie card with 512mb onboard. FSX w/Acceleration. I don't recall seeing this issue before I installed Acceleration, and I have tried several different drivers to no avail.

harleyman
July 27th, 2009, 16:43
Best I can tell you is this ...

I HATE Acceleration...For reasons just like that...

I have yet to use it on any computer that I have built that it did not severly pull performance from FSX...

For me...Its FSX SP1 all the way......

Case in point...just built a Q9650 rig...All good hardware..All bandwidths match perfectly, just as your rig does...OCed to 3.6...FSX with SP1 holds 35 frames smooth all day long..add Acceleration and its a beast to get tweaked....Stutters, some blurries...ACK..Shot me now ! :isadizzy:

Trying to get Acceleration right is like argueing with my wife..I'm just not gonna win...

Lionheart
July 27th, 2009, 19:55
Robert.. I think Mason is on it. Its LOD's messing with you. Buildings out of focus (dots on the horizon) will appear when zoomed in on, like in a flight, zooming in on a far city you are coming up on..

Bill

Meshman
July 27th, 2009, 22:15
From what I've heard/read, LODs got broken in SP2/FSXA. One of those "value added features" Microsoft threw in. I was sitting at a coastal area cleaning up some autogen bleedthrough and wondered what the object in the distance was? Slewed my way over almost 18 miles to see it was a dock object for a ferry boat. Sitting in full LOD, as seen from 18 miles away.

Kiwikat
July 28th, 2009, 00:59
Occasionally I'll have this problem, but only at certain airports. It happens almost 100% of the time for me at Nellis AFB. Other places it is spotty at best. Just one of those weird things I guess...

tigisfat
July 28th, 2009, 03:28
I've occasionally had this too. There are a couple airfields that only have buildings when viewed at certain angles.

BASys
July 28th, 2009, 04:47
Hi Folks

N2056 -
It's a known bug,
introduced with SP2/Acc,
which occurs with some default airport buildings.

AIUI It's not LOD related,
but down to how some model content was created,
interacting with shaders.

It's not view-window related,
as it occurs in VC and external views.

If your a/c is perfectly level, or pitched up, they'll display ok.
If pitched down they'll disappear.

AFAIK
occurs in both DX versions,
and is not card related.

Most noticeable at Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Start at default location.
Click Y for slew.
Raise a/c up.
Adjust pitch as above,
they'll pop in/out of view.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Cactuskid
July 28th, 2009, 07:29
I had the same problem after I installed SP2. The most annoying thing was autogen popping in and out of view when I'm flying. The problem with airport buildings didn't occur at every airport, but at enough of them that it was a noticeable problem.

My last FSX install, I didn't install SP2 and I'm a much happpier camper now... I'm locked at 30, and it stays there, even with complex scenery. Autogen no longer pops up in front of me, and no more disappearing buildings... Sure, there are some aircraft that I can't use in SP1 only, but most of them work fine, including some great FS9 ports that only required some minor tweaking.

At least for me, SP2 detracted from my simming experience... :wiggle:

Daube
July 28th, 2009, 07:35
I don't have any problem with the autogen and I never noticed any problems with the airport buildings... however, when I'm sitting on the deck of the default Acceleration Carrier, the little vehicules that are parked next to the control tower will dissapear depending on the zoom :/

Bjoern
July 28th, 2009, 07:35
FSX LODs - worse than the worst of all hangovers.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/FS%20Development/th_LOD_Problem_1.jpg (http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/FS%20Development/LOD_Problem_1.jpg)

*Grr*

N2056
August 7th, 2009, 15:46
This topic popped up at another forum, and one of the things that came out was that it is most prevalent when you have autogen set to 'none'. I tried autogen on 'sparse' and the problem was much improved.

harleyman
August 7th, 2009, 19:11
YUP...Never seen it ..I run autogen wide open...