PDA

View Full Version : Oahu Carrier Ops video

dswo
July 27th, 2009, 08:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgH6tgC_oDc

This is my first, maybe my only, FS video. I made it by pointing my Canon digital camera (not an SLR) at the screen and using the movie mode, which is why it's a little dark. (Yes, I know about FRAPS, but I'm cheap.)

Credits are shared between the text and the end of the movie. The real star and inspiration of it all is Javier's carrier. I originally scored it with John Denver's "Looking for Space," and I still like it better that way, but since JD isn't around to license his music to a fellow flight-enthusiast for free, I couldn't use that. The Tchaikovsky that I ended up with has more tension, and it's legal...

Flying here is so-so. There was a stiff crosswind in the last sequence, which accounts for the last-minute rudder adjustment, but that's the only excuse I'll make in my own defense. The rest was just lack of skill and experience.

I am getting better with landing the Hornet. You guys who said, "Just keep practicing" were right. It's more fun now when you do it with confidence. I'm up to about a 2:3 ratio of traps and attempts, and the remaining 1:3 are wave-offs, not crashes.

Roger
July 27th, 2009, 09:03
Great effort! I presume your screen refresh rate has to be the same as your camera's to avoid a rolling dark band?

b52bob
July 27th, 2009, 09:15
Nice job...do more!!

Nick C
July 27th, 2009, 09:39
Nice work and a damn site smoother than my Hornet carrier landings!

dswo
July 27th, 2009, 09:42
I presume your screen refresh rate has to be the same as your camer's to avoid a rolling dark band?

I never thought to check that, Roger. My LCD screens refresh at 60 Hz; don't know about the camera.

Roger
July 27th, 2009, 09:52
Maybe it doesn't matter with new equipment. Looks fine anyway and very smooth too.

wilycoyote4
July 27th, 2009, 11:09
:medals: good video, smooth landing.

GT182
July 27th, 2009, 11:15
Sweet film David. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif

Next time remember to retract the gear. ;) LOL

EgoR64
July 27th, 2009, 15:14
Great Job David !!

:ernae: