PDA

View Full Version : My new girlfriend...

Lionheart
July 22nd, 2009, 04:20
Meet my new girlfriend.

What you are seeing is extremely early in the build process.

I have been working on this design on in my mind and in sketches for the past year now. It is an experiment in mixing automotive inteior design into an aircraft, and powering it with state of the art new propulsion technologies, (hydrogen, etc).

Basically, its a mix between a BMW 6 or 7 series, mixed with a Cirrus and an Epic LT. Its much smaller then an Epic, and slightly larger then a Cirrus. It will be a 4 seater with neat accomodations for the passengers in the back. Its powerplant will possibly be an all aluminum V8 or perhaps a boxer 8 cylinder, with a second version that will have a proper fuel cell hybrid system.

Should be fun. :d

NOTE: The rear elevators will most likely not have the winglets. Those are only quick elevators made for some FS testing.

Bill

harleyman
July 22nd, 2009, 04:27
OH ...She is a sweet heart..

Dress her is black leather please....:engel016:

BananaBob
July 22nd, 2009, 04:30
She has pretty waistline too!! :applause:

Lionheart
July 22nd, 2009, 04:32
OH ...She is a sweet heart..

Dress her is black leather please....:engel016:

Will dark metallic gray work? :d

Another part of this venture is color schemes from automobiles, like lite metallic colors, such as a super lite metallic blue, champagne, etc. Pretty much like you would find in upper market Japanese cars and BMW's. (The metallic coat helps to reflect away harmful UV rays that will deteriorate the composite airframe materials, so metallics will be big on this one).

Thanks Robert.

I have rebuilt this shape so many times from scratch. I have bent it, squashed it, stretched it, widened it, so many times. I have changed the window cutouts over and over. I developed a new form of window cutting in making this one (more like 20 of these). Its a cool trick of hand cutting the Vertices into the hull then attaching Edge lines to form the windows. Faster then Boolean and Shapemerge.

One other thing.... Roll down windows. (Well, electric ones). They only roll down at lower speeds and only so far, just enough for air. The onboard computer rolls them up past certain speeds. Thats the plan anyways.

NOTE: B-pillar in windows isnt built yet. It will be under the exterior glass.

Bill

Kiwikat
July 22nd, 2009, 04:38
:O

Did I hear metallic...?

:monkies::173go1:

NCGent
July 22nd, 2009, 04:42
That's sweet Bill, I've thought about designing something from my own thoughts but every time I start, it somehow turns into a biplane:icon_lol:.

Chris

mike_cyul
July 22nd, 2009, 04:45
Nice!!! :applause:

Mike

Txmmy83
July 22nd, 2009, 04:45
Bill,
why not include that version with the tail winglets as a "what if" variant
since that looks cool anyway

BR
Tom

harleyman
July 22nd, 2009, 04:48
OK Dark Metalic grey she is..:applause:

What a sleek looking plane too....Just looks FASTTTTtttttttt !

Mathias
July 22nd, 2009, 05:26
Nice one!
You clearly have a faible for the futuristic, streamlined shapes.
Kinda Naomi Campbell with wings. :applause:

Chacha
July 22nd, 2009, 05:41
You are a very talented individual, Bill!

Now I know why your gray eyebrows are sprouting out, Your incredible brain is pushing them OUT.... :icon_lol:

Very beautiful aircraft, with an awesome name as well.... Dress her metallic... and hot pink interior :applause:

Eli :running:

grunau_baby
July 22nd, 2009, 05:52
Great sleek design!:applause:

I wonder if X-plane with itīs airplane-shape bound flight engine would be the right testbed for your design, to see how it (theoretically) would fly!

Alex

Cirrus N210MS
July 22nd, 2009, 05:56
wow now thats a plane! :ernae:

kilo delta
July 22nd, 2009, 06:01

What, like an angel :engel016:...but can be a real b!tch too sometimes?:icon_lol:

Yep that definately sounds like a BMW :isadizzy: :)

Great work,Bill :ernae:

hinch
July 22nd, 2009, 09:17
Looks a bit like a Lancair, I'd really like a Lancair... *hint*

Txmmy83
July 22nd, 2009, 10:09

I think it is a Lancair derivate but I am not completely sure

BR
Tom

peter12213
July 22nd, 2009, 11:28
it definately looks a bit like it, doesn't it!

SkippyBing
July 22nd, 2009, 12:35
I think for the elevators you'd actually want the winglets pointing the other way as the high pressure area is on the top not the bottom, although it may not make a huge difference.

Henry
July 22nd, 2009, 12:43
im hooked! is it ready yet?:173go1:
great!
H

harleyman
July 22nd, 2009, 12:45
Hey ill..Is the download ready yet??? HUH HUH HUH :173go1:

Silver Fox
July 22nd, 2009, 12:54
Is it available with a moonroof?

I'm liking it! Kinda surprised you didn't make it a canard though... you could use automotive style doors.

Don't forget to hook your power windows up for altitude as well as airspeed. Don't want to lose the ability for cabin pressurization! :)

Txmmy83
July 22nd, 2009, 12:59
Hey ill..Is the download ready yet??? HUH HUH HUH :173go1:
read the first post of the topic
it says early progress WIP Shots

BR
Tom

Lionheart
July 22nd, 2009, 13:13

I think it is a Lancair derivate but I am not completely sure

BR
Tom

You both are partially correct.

Lancair charge a flight sim group approximately $9K for use of their designs and name. I do not have that kind of money. I fell in love with their planes, but man, I think making my own is the way to go. I was originally doing a Lancair ES when I found out about the 9K issue which folded the project. But I had been messing around (sketches) with a hybrid plane that had some unique things in its propulsion that would be pretty cool. Imagine the Dash having some unique digital graphics for managing the engine/battery cells, etc, sort of like a Toyota Prius.

Maybe a manufacturer will be interested in purchasing and making this and I'll be making real planes. Who knows.

I think for the elevators you'd actually want the winglets pointing the other way as the high pressure area is on the top not the bottom, although it may not make a huge difference.

SkippyBing

Thanks SB for the heads up. Very true how the elevators act in reverse of wings.

I'm liking it! Kinda surprised you didn't make it a canard though... you could use automotive style doors.

SilverFox

Perhaps that will be the next 'custom' layout. It would be cool to try to figure out something that would be so totally radically different from the norm. Something like what Syd Mead would create.

Bill

Txmmy83
July 22nd, 2009, 13:30
yep I know that those licence fees causes all sort of trouble especially for smaller developers

the result is actually perfect I think it looks even better than one of the Lancair series well done Bill :applause:

question Bill have you ever thought of making an fictional high performance aerobatic plane or reno F1 class styled plane ?

BR
Tom

Lionheart
July 22nd, 2009, 13:45
Question Bill have you ever thought of making an fictional high performance aerobatic plane or reno F1 class styled plane ?

BR
Tom

Yes, but it was a little crazy looking. Aerobatic, lite plane air racer.

:kilroy:

I dont know how well the wings would hold up in high speed. With forward swept designs, you go into flutter. The forward swept X plane from NASA (F-16 based fuselage) was an interesting experiment with this, but required a flight computer to manage the 'snappy' behaviour of forward swept wings. It would sure make it 'manuverable' in an extreme sense.

Bill

cheezyflier
July 22nd, 2009, 13:55
Nice one!
You clearly have a faible for the futuristic, streamlined shapes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_V4w18ZWaPas/SW_d4uhSNAI/AAAAAAAADhU/bkVnZJGiNxI/s400/Naomi+Campbell+Angel+Wings.jpg

Txmmy83
July 22nd, 2009, 14:15
Bill that looks a bit like a formula 1 car for the air

just downloaded from Flightsim.com

BR
Tom

Mathias
July 22nd, 2009, 14:22
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_v4w18zwapas/sw_d4uhsnai/aaaaaaaadhu/bkvnzjginxi/s400/naomi+campbell+angel+wings.jpg

lololololol!!!!

Bone
July 22nd, 2009, 18:29
Looking Good. Can My new girl friend take your new girl friend for a ride, when she's done? I promise to watch them like a hawk.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/avatar21471_4.jpg

Wombat_VC
July 23rd, 2009, 05:52
Thanks SB for the heads up. Very true how the elevators act in reverse of wings.

Is there a cheap software "wind-tunnel" to test gmax wing designs? How about the X-plane? Can it act as one?

kjb
July 23rd, 2009, 06:36
Maybe a manufacturer will be interested in purchasing and making this and I'll be making real planes. Who knows.BillI was wondering about that. It certainly looks like something that would perform and sell well. The Lancair looks a little stodgy in comparison :)

Lionheart
July 27th, 2009, 10:23
Is there a cheap software "wind-tunnel" to test gmax wing designs? How about the X-plane? Can it act as one?

Actually, that is exactly what X-Plane was designed for. Laminar Research produce XP9 (X-Plane 9) and it was originally intended as an available software to aircraft designers. It became more popular though as a sim.

Gmax planes cannot go into XP9. Man, I wish they could. There is no 'convert from gmax to 'something' and then convert to 'something' to get them into XP9. One has to totally recreate the mesh into either their own 'aircraft maker' program, or Blender, and both are so far different from Gmax or FreeFlightDesign.

So, for those that wish to test new aircraft designs, XP9 is the way to go. Extremely good for that...

Bill