PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Old Dell Computer

Ickie
July 20th, 2009, 11:40
I was given a new old Dell computer, just like new inside. It was made in 2000, Problem is that it would shut off as soon as it was under load. I changed the network card, the sound card, heck I even installed a PCI Video card, still under load like going to Microsoft to get updates and within 1 minute of them scanning it pow it would shut off.
I pulled the heat synk, and found a factory flaw. No heat synk grease or pad.
The processor was burnt dark blue like my pipes on my bike.
I added silver heat synk grease and wow its working.
I wonder if Dell should know this?

Lionheart
July 20th, 2009, 11:50
Awesome to hear Ickie!

Great to get such bargains.

You might email them. I am sure it might go into the wayside though as they make zillions of computers. I heard that their main plant in China is the size of an international airport.

They might appreciate it though.

Bill
LHC

Snuffy
July 20th, 2009, 12:13
Nah, I wouldn't worry about it ... :bump:

Ickie
July 20th, 2009, 12:37
someone will get a nice computer, I fix, cannibalize old computers and give them away to people who cannot afford such a luxury.
its a Dell 1 GHz, 512 MB's ram, 20 GIG HD, XP Pro

Other people send me packages all the time with old parts, BTW I am low on old memory and video cards.

RickN
July 20th, 2009, 14:42
someone will get a nice computer, I fix, cannibalize old computers and give them away to people who cannot afford such a luxury.
its a Dell 1 GHz, 512 MB's ram, 20 GIG HD, XP Pro

Other people send me packages all the time with old parts, BTW I am low on old memory and video cards.

What kind of memory and video cards do you need?

I will have to check later but I think I have some DDR 400 and a couple of AGP cards lying around somewhere.

Ickie
July 20th, 2009, 14:55
memory needed are pc100, pc133, any ddr,

I have 6 gigs of ddr3 if anyone is in need, 6 sticks 1 gig each.

video cards I always need agp, pci pcie

note I work on old computers mostly. someone is always giving me an old one.

I have a good supply of power supplies.

I part out computers with bad motherboards.

tobob
July 20th, 2009, 15:03
I have a Dell and it came with thermal grease, but was slopped on very thick. I put my own on and never really noticed a difference. It's been a pretty good computer but I did upgrade the power supply and g-card.

I have the old nvidia 7300 pcie from that computer sitting in a drawer collecting dust, as well as the PSU.