PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica: The Plan

Eoraptor1
July 18th, 2009, 04:40
Has anyone else seen the preview for BSG: The Plan on SyFy.com? (This used to be SciFi.com, but for some unknowable reason was changed to SyFy; if you type the old www.scifi.com (http://www.scifi.com) into your browser, you'll be redirected to the new site.) I, for one, am very interested in seeing things from the Cylon point of view. I was a big fan of the show (still am) but I felt it had continuity problems. Another member wrote about this in a pre-hack thread (I forget who it was) but never returned to the subject as I hoped he would. One thing the new BSG series IMHO never addressed properly was the pernicious idea that there is spiritual rebirth though mass murder. I remember very well how the Angel Six was horrified at the torture of one Cylon prisoner, but the extermination of billions in a nuclear holocast she seemed to take in her stride. The mysticism was never my favorite part of the series (at least not without Count Iblis) but this is common in science fiction for some reason. Again, this is just my opinion, but I saw a thread of misanthropy running through this show. Compare this with the Star Trek reboot, which actually likes human beings.

JAMES

Quixoticish
July 18th, 2009, 05:04
Has anyone else seen the preview for BSG: The Plan on SyFy.com? (This used to be SciFi.com, but for some unknowable reason was changed to SyFy; if you type the old www.scifi.com (http://www.scifi.com) into your browser, you'll be redirected to the new site.) I, for one, am very interested in seeing things from the Cylon point of view. I was a big fan of the show (still am) but I felt it had continuity problems. Another member wrote about this in a pre-hack thread (I forget who it was) but never returned to the subject as I hoped he would. One thing the new BSG series IMHO never addressed properly was the pernicious idea that there is spiritual rebirth though mass murder. I remember very well how the Angel Six was horrified at the torture of one Cylon prisoner, but the extermination of billions in a nuclear holocast she seemed to take in her stride. The mysticism was never my favorite part of the series (at least not without Count Iblis) but this is common in science fiction for some reason. Again, this is just my opinion, but I saw a thread of misanthropy running through this show. Compare this with the Star Trek reboot, which actually likes human beings.

JAMES

I absolutely loved the show, particularly the exploration of spiritualism and mysticism. It did what all good science fiction should do and tells us about the human condition in various interesting ways.

thedude247
July 18th, 2009, 05:07
It's supposed to come out in the fall, can't wait for this on. They're saying it'll be very different that the typical vibe of BSG. It's gonna be epic.

:jump::applause::jump::applause:

Eoraptor1
July 18th, 2009, 06:53
I absolutely loved the show, particularly the exploration of spiritualism and mysticism. It did what all good science fiction should do and tells us about the human condition in various interesting ways.

Still opressing ninja, Chris, and giving the pretty boy vampires a pass. These are very od men hanging around high school girls, yet you choose to take out venom on hard-working ninja. No justice. No peace.

I was leveraged into seeing Twilight instead of Gran Torino, and I'm still bitter.

JAMES

arrowmaker
July 18th, 2009, 06:56
"Let's get this genocide started!". :pop4:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYV7WeaDP_8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYV7WeaDP_8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Panther_99FS
July 18th, 2009, 07:09
You guys know I'll be watching it :mixedsmi:

cheezyflier
July 18th, 2009, 10:03
I was leveraged into seeing Twilight instead of Gran Torino, and I'm still bitter.

JAMES

i have no idea what the 1st part was about, but if someone tricked me into seeing twilight instead of gran torino, i'd be bitter too :icon_lol:

n4gix
July 18th, 2009, 11:54
i have no idea what the 1st part was about, but if someone tricked me into seeing twilight instead of gran torino, i'd be bitter too :icon_lol:

It was a comment on Chris' avatar legend:

Chris H (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?u=40720)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_216270", true); </SCRIPT>
Slayer of Pirates/Vikings/Ninjas

Quixoticish
July 18th, 2009, 15:35
It was a comment on Chris' avatar legend:

Chris H (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?u=40720)<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_216270", true); </script>
Slayer of Pirates/Vikings/Ninjas

There are quite a few little things I'd like to add to the list including Vampires and Chuck Norris but I can't seem to edit it any more.

Silver Fox
July 18th, 2009, 20:29
I remember very well how the Angel Six was horrified at the torture of one Cylon prisoner, but the extermination of billions in a nuclear holocast she seemed to take in her stride.

It's a matter of viewpoint... From hers, the torture of one '6' is a tragedy, the death if billions of humans... merely efficient.

Eoraptor1
July 19th, 2009, 07:20
It's a matter of viewpoint... From hers, the torture of one '6' is a tragedy, the death if billions of humans... merely efficient.

That's very Obi-wan Kenobi, Silver Fox. It's never made explicitly clear what Angel Six and Angel Baltar are other than interested observers and cosmic meddlers - were they a type of Cylon? I never knew, which I kind of think was the point, so I wouldn't hazard a guess at their thought processes, but IMHO this is a VERY human quality: some lives matter more to [us] than others, even to the point of genocide. I can't say more while obeying forum rules.

Where are you in Ontario? I love it up there. I love Toronto, but I've also been fishing up at Honey Harbor.

ATTN: Cheezyflier,

RE: Twilight instead of Gran Torino

Would it surprise you to learn that there was a woman involved? I did finally see Gran Torino, and I thought it was a superior effort, but I still think Unforgiven is Clint's masterpiece. Gran Torino was sort of like watching Gunny Highway or Dirty Harry in retirement. Mr. Eastwood is clearly revisiting his iconic characters in old age. I even saw a bit of Josey Wales in there, with Clint and Hmoung Granny spitting tobacco juice on the porch. Funny, I didn't quite know who I disliked more, the gangsters or Clint's grandkids.

JAMES

Silver Fox
July 19th, 2009, 08:34
Eoraptor1, I always thought of Angel 6 and Angel Baltar as avatars for their respective species... the distilled essence of Cylon and Human. The lesson is that we are much more alike than we are different. Interesting to me that Caprica 6 had that glowing spine with Baltar... it's a dead giveaway in an infiltration unit! Did Caprica really fall for Baltar? Both commit acts that will doom their entire species, unless the two species join.

I had wished for a little more fun in the finale... Perhaps Summer Glau and Thomas Dekker in a cameo? What has happened before will happen again...?

I'm just outside of Toronto...

Lionheart
July 19th, 2009, 14:09
You guys are not going to believe this...

I am sitting in Church this morning (speaking of spiritualism, mysticism, God, and Battle Star Gallactica), and this girl sits down next to me and looks exactly like the blonde girl from BSG! (as seen above, in that YouTube shot with glasses on).

Imagine this woman, a few years younger, no glasses, same hair....

I almost fell over.

EDIT: Others could see her too. ;)

Silver Fox
July 19th, 2009, 14:48
A 6 sat beside you in church?

Cool! :)

Piglet
July 19th, 2009, 16:04
I would have pulled out my Colonial FNseven pistol and drilled her!:pop4:

Silver Fox
July 19th, 2009, 16:30
How very un-churchlike!

Of course, I'm no better... I was thinking almost the exact same thing... Other than the pistol that is. :engel016:

Eoraptor1
July 20th, 2009, 17:40
Eoraptor1, I always thought of Angel 6 and Angel Baltar as avatars for their respective species... the distilled essence of Cylon and Human. The lesson is that we are much more alike than we are different. Interesting to me that Caprica 6 had that glowing spine with Baltar... it's a dead giveaway in an infiltration unit! Did Caprica really fall for Baltar? Both commit acts that will doom their entire species, unless the two species join.

I had wished for a little more fun in the finale... Perhaps Summer Glau and Thomas Dekker in a cameo? What has happened before will happen again...?

That's very interesting Silver Fox. I hadn't thought of it like that; maybe because the thought of having Baltar as my representative in any guise disturbs me. IMHO both Baltar and Six showed many key characteristics of textbook psychopathy. I remember when the series premiered feeling that in the relationship between Baltar and Angel Six SciFi network had recylced the old Crichton/brain implant Scorpius relationship from Farscape, but then I decided both shows (and Donnie Darko) lifted it from Jimmy Stewart's Harvey and It's a Wonderful Life. Now, the reason my opening position with these spirit guides tends toward ambivalence is that oft times writers under deadline pressure resort to deus ex machina to solve their continuity issues, which leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. I'm a fan of the show; I think it stood up, in purely dramatic terms, to any show on televison that year - I thought the mutiny arc was especially good, but I think the finale arc suffered from the strike in the middle of BSGs last season.

NOTE: I saw Tricia Helfer in an interview where she said she was in line at the market, when a big guy in the same line recognized her and just slowly backed off after she flashed him the "Six" eyes. She's not really my taste. I liked Kendra and Dualla.

JAMES

Silver Fox
July 20th, 2009, 18:31
I wasn't fully satisfied with the finale... it seemed rushed.

What I would like to see most would be the aftermath, what happens to the main Cylon civilization? Dies it die off? It is seen to be inherently flawed... Skinjobs, Centurions (new), Hybrids and Raiders (new)... All in revolt. Only the original Cylon Centurion does not fight on humanity's side, and those are the model the originally revolted.

Some interesting possibilities...

Baltar and 6 psychopaths? Possibly, but in a pure survival situation some psychopathy is probably a survival trait.

n4gix
July 20th, 2009, 18:36
I could never get into the series at all. Firstly, I'm no real fan of film noir, or neo-noir and the so-called plot was more convoluted than that of Lost, which lost me during the first season...

AFIAC, there's no writer who can equal J.M. Straczynski for good, solid storytelling, which is likely because he fleshes out the entire story arc before starting a single script.

Eoraptor1
July 20th, 2009, 18:56
I could never get into the series at all. Firstly, I'm no real fan of film noir, or neo-noir and the so-called plot was more convoluted than that of Lost, which lost me during the first season...

AFIAC, there's no writer who can equal J.M. Straczynski for good, solid storytelling, which is likely because he fleshes out the entire story arc before starting a single script.

I saw Val Lewton's original 1942 Cat People either on Turner Classic Movies or AMC (I can't remember which) a few years back, and during the commentary portion one of the speakers recalled something Lewton had supposedly said regarding the film noir aesthetic. Lewton allegedly explained, "These were B movies made on the cheap. We didn't have the budget for lighting."

JAMES