PDA

View Full Version : Coming attractions...

Rami
July 17th, 2009, 17:18
Hey guys,

The Donationware team has been hard at work on another project. I won't say what it is, but I'll post a few screen shots. Bear in mind that it's still a "beta" version, so some items (panels, virtual cockpits, textures) might be altered somewhat in the released version.

merlin2
July 17th, 2009, 17:20
looks really great! reminds me of the observation plane that Henry Fonda rode in Battle of the Bulge, except that was a monoplane.

Captain Kurt
July 17th, 2009, 18:15
Wow, Fairey Albacore. Was supposed to be the Swordfish replacement but didn't quite acheive that goal.

olaf1924
July 17th, 2009, 19:14
I would like to know if this aircraft was used in the pto.

The_Editor
July 17th, 2009, 19:20
"The Royal Air Force deployed some Albacores. No. 36 Sqn. acquired them in December 1941 when in Java.

The squadron was captured by the Japanese in March 1942. In 1943, No. 415 Sqn. was equipped with Albacores (presumably ex-FAA) before the Flight operating them was transferred and reformed as No. 119 Sqn. at RAF Manston in July 1944.

Eventually, there were 15 FAA squadrons equipped with the plane which operated widely in the Mediterranean. Albacores participated in the Battle of Cape Matapan and the fighting at El Alamein as well as supporting the landings at Sicily and Salerno.

During the period September 1941 to end of June 1943 828 Sqn. FAA, RAF Hal Far, Malta, operated a squadron of Albacores under some of the most severe blitz conditions imaginable during the siege of Malta, mainly against Italian shipping and shore targets in Sicily".