PDA

View Full Version : old joysticks with new computers

jimski
July 14th, 2009, 10:06
I use an old microsoft sidewinder stick with a gameport connector. I now have a newer computer with no gameport and it is too thin to install one of my old soundcards which have a gameport. Is there a good way to join the old stick to the new computer? I know there are cables with a gameport on one end and a usb on the other but other forums indicate that they won't work consistantly with newer computers or win xp. Yes? I'm thinking my only real option is a newer stick with a usb connector. Hate to give up the old Sidewinders though. They seem bulletproof and there is nothing wrong with them.

Jimski

rcafmad
July 14th, 2009, 13:09
jimski.

There is an adapter called "USB Gameport Adapter." It connects the old 15 Pin Connector to the USB outlet.

I bought mine at " The Source" which use to be" Radio Shack." It will handle -Wheel,Joystick A and B and game pad.

Give it a try

rcafmad

zijdemans
July 14th, 2009, 13:14
Jimski,
I am afraid I can not help you, but I sympathise with your problem. I am hesitant to buy a new computer, because I am afraid it will have Vista installed, which will not accept my USB sidewinder with force feedback.
Well, if I ever get into that situation, I could send you my stick:mixedsmi:
Good luck on your search.
Flip Zijdemans

Henry
July 14th, 2009, 13:52
I use mine on vista
with the gameport adapter
but i do not have a force feedback one
been working for years
with xp also
H

Dekker001
July 16th, 2009, 05:47
I am hesitant to buy a new computer, because I am afraid it will have Vista installed,

Not that I want to endorse any one company over the other, but I got a very nice machine from Ibuypower with XP loaded on it, and have been very happy.

I am hoping to jump completely over Vista just like I jumped over Win ME :)

simonu
July 16th, 2009, 07:28
Just to toss in a thought here, Have you considered dual booting, I keep a harddisk on the shelf with Win98 loaded so I kind of have a manual version of dual boot. Win98 can run all your old gameport and soundcard hardware.

jimskifs
July 16th, 2009, 20:25
My new machine is too thin to take an old sound card with a gameport. I've never found a low profile card with a gameport.

Today I checked Best Buy and Radio Shack for the converter cable and both guys said they don't carry them anymore. There are some on ebay but for some reason they all come from overseas.

In most ways I'm thinking my best option is a new stick, all things considered. And keep an eye out for a converter cable. Apparently the converter cable may not be the answer as I gather new Windows doesn't support the old Sidewinder, a favorite game of MS methinks. But I have XP on another tower machine and it will recognize my Sidewinder and do the right thing but I have an old soundblaster in there to give me the gameport. It's interesting that the cables work for some folks and not for others. I hate to closet two great reliable Sidewinders just because of this.

Jimski

olaf1924
July 16th, 2009, 22:28
I own both of the ms joysticks and I can tell you that the gameport adaptor will lose the force feedback feature. The msff2 with a usb works great for me with xp and vista. I found a very small sound card with a gameport from my local computer shop for around 20.00$ that allows me to use msffb or msffb2.

jimskifs
July 17th, 2009, 03:20
Olaf,

Do you recall the model of that low profile soundcard with gameport? I have found nothing like it. My machine looks to take a 2.5" deep card compared to the usual 4"

JImski

olaf1924
July 17th, 2009, 07:48
The box says pci sound karte model:FIEON HYS8738. I see the sticker price on the box is 14.99$. The card looks like a cheap piece of junk,but at least it has a gameport.

jimskifs
July 17th, 2009, 09:51
Olaf,

Google knows nothing about that model of card.

Is the only issue with the sidewinder/gameport/usb cable that I will lose force feedback? (I never use that anyway.)

Jimski

olaf1924
July 17th, 2009, 10:03
Just the force feedback will be lost.

bobhegf
July 17th, 2009, 13:06
The force feedback entrieds tend to slow down the game. You can increase the FR by cutting it off.

jimskifs
July 27th, 2009, 07:02
Well, I tried it several ways. I got a cable from ebay and the dealer had a list of usb supported sidewinders and mine was on his "not supported" list. It did not work in any way but the failure message was about lack of gameport drivers. My machine has no gameport so i will have to drop that issue for now. I googled high and low with no luck.

At the same time I won a sidewinder precision 2 with usb for $16 delivered. Like new. No issues although the forums all warn of static electricity problems with that stick. No problems yet that way with mine. It isn't as slick as my two old force feedback pros but it will do.

I think the only way to use a gameport stick with a new machine is to install a gameport as in an old soundcard. I have an old soundcard but it won't fit in this low profile machine. My old gameport sticks work fine in an old slow xp box I have in which I installed an old soundblaster with gameport.

Jimski

TARPSBird
July 27th, 2009, 10:47
Jimski,
I've been using a Sidewinder Precision 2 for years and have had no problems at all, either with static electricity or any control axis malfunctions. Have fun flying. :)