PDA

View Full Version : Multi-monitor Help Please

harleyman
July 13th, 2009, 10:49
I have been trying to help a member with setting up a dual monitor set up..

He is running Vista 32 ....

The Nvidia Control panel now does not show anything for it like it used to.(DualView, Spanned View, cloned View)

His second monitor is connected as normal.Resolutions and refresh rates are all set..

We have tried every known combination for it..

Full Screen
Windowed Mode
Docked for both
Undocked for Both.

Nothing works..The closest we got was with an Omega driver that at least showed Dual view..

It will show both desktops...Once FSX loads the second monitor goes black as it should.

He can drag say, GPS across from one monitor to the other but it never can be seen on the second monitor( in other words, its undocked and moves off the main display, and does not bump the edge and stick there)

Anybody using dual monitors with Vist 32 or 64 with Nvidia I would really like to know how its done...

Many say you can't, but I have done it on Vista 64 myself, with complete sucesses.....

Thanks...

falcon409
July 13th, 2009, 11:06
I have attempted the very same things with no luck. NVidia drivers in Vista_32 do not support dual monitor views in the way you're attempting. . .I've gotten that from several guru's here and via a few forum posts on other sites requesting assistance.

harleyman
July 13th, 2009, 11:32
Hi Falcon...I dug up an old post with me and you trying to get a dual view to go from a long time ago..

So..Its a Vista 32 bit thing??????

Hmm...

I wonder if there is an app that will make it work somewhere...????

It almosts works...Thanks..

stiz
July 13th, 2009, 15:51
dunno if this is releated as its xp but i still only had the options listed above when i first tried. All i did then was rerun the multiple display wizard from the control panel and select typical settings and its working fine :jump:

mfitch
July 13th, 2009, 15:52
Dual monitor support for Nvidia cards under Vista 32 bit works fine. I am doing it with no problem. So long as I don't push the settings too high for that computer I can place instruments like GPS or cockpit or external views on the second monitor. Normally I am using full screen view.

I have identical monitors operating at 1280x1024 60 Hz (native resolution) in Dualview mode. FSX is set to use both monitors at the same resolution.

It sounded like you were using the same setup. Is that correct?

falcon409
July 13th, 2009, 16:15
Dual monitor support for Nvidia cards under Vista 32 bit works fine. I am doing it with no problem. So long as I don't push the settings too high for that computer I can place instruments like GPS or cockpit or external views on the second monitor. Normally I am using full screen view.

I have identical monitors operating at 1280x1024 60 Hz (native resolution) in Dualview mode. FSX is set to use both monitors at the same resolution.

It sounded like you were using the same setup. Is that correct?
Actually, what we were trying to do was span both monitors with the fwd view out of the cockpit. I have always been able to move avionics, etc over to one monitor, but getting the fwd view to span both monitors. . .NVidia and Vista don't allow that.

hey_moe
July 13th, 2009, 16:19
Right click on your desktop/ select Nvidia control panel/select advance/ go to display/second one down/ Change flat panel scaling/ either select Use my display's built in scaling/ or fixed/ try each one till/ when you go to Set up multiple displays both displays appear/ this will work in both 32/64.Depending on what drivers you have as to what the set up will appear. You can also try this >> http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

harleyman
July 13th, 2009, 16:29
Thanks guys... I have set this up before with no problems at all..

We will try all these things out...Thanks much

falcon409
July 13th, 2009, 16:47
Right click on your desktop/ select Nvidia control panel/select advance/ go to display/second one down/ Change flat panel scaling/ either select Use my display's built in scaling/ or fixed/ try each one till/ when you go to Set up multiple displays both displays appear/ this will work in both 32/64.Depending on what drivers you have as to what the set up will appear. You can also try this >> http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
Actually, I can't ever remember an option as you suggest hey_moe. I've had a lot of NVidia drivers since moving to Vista32 and none that I can remember (including the current one) has ever offered one that allows for adjusting the flat panel scaling. They have all only allowed the following:
*Move CRT Screen Position
*Change Resolution
*Adjust Desktop Color Settings
*Rotate Display
*Setup Multiple Displays
. . . .and before you jump on that last option, lol. . .all that does is allow you to choose which is primary and which is secondary.

hey_moe
July 13th, 2009, 16:58
What drivers are you using. Right now I am using Vista 64/ under select a task/display the second one should be Change flat panel scaling. The picture below is using a wide screen triple monitor.

harleyman
July 13th, 2009, 17:10
Thats the thing..

We are talking about Vista 32 bit......We think thats the problem but will attack that again tommorrow...

Thanks

falcon409
July 13th, 2009, 18:16
What drivers are you using. Right now I am using Vista 64/ under select a task/display the second one should be Change flat panel scaling. The picture below is using a wide screen triple monitor.
Yep, as Harleyman noted above hey_moe, our problem is in Vista32 not Vista64.

mfitch
July 13th, 2009, 21:12
Stretching a single FSX view across two monitors is not something I have tried for a couple years. The only way I can achieve it is under XP which allows two monitors to be treated as a "horizontal span." After that FSX can set a resolution that uses both. No version allows any "view" to be stretched across what it sees as two monitors (Vista 64, Vista 32, XP 32).

The monitor scaling only refers to how to handle resolutions lower than the native resolution of an LCD panel. It will not show up for CRT's.

Am I to understand that some of you have been able to stretch a view (Virtual cockpit or External view) across two monitors without using a triple head to go or similar device?

Henry
July 14th, 2009, 06:05
Thats the thing..

We are talking about Vista 32 bit......We think thats the problem but will attack that again tommorrow...

Thanks
i am using vista 32 bit
and i have the same choice that Moe does
H

Henry
July 14th, 2009, 06:17
and this
H

hey_moe
July 14th, 2009, 08:51
Henry...there all on quack:bump::bump:

some1
July 14th, 2009, 08:56
Vista and Windows 7 doesn't support horizontal span due to major change in driver model. So you can't make two monitors apear as one.

hey_moe
July 14th, 2009, 09:10
I hate to burst your bubble on that expanding to two or three monitor but that screen shot I posted above Henry is three monitors, also in FSX all three monitors are as one. You can even hit the alt button and open up another screen and put the cock pit on one and the outside of the plane on the other two.That is in Vista and in W7.

falcon409
July 14th, 2009, 09:36
I'm very happy for you guys that can do it, but I also know what I have for selections. . .I typed them verbatim in my response above. I am running Vista32, the latest NVidia driver and I DO NOT have the selection for scaling that you show Henry. . .sorry.

So the question is. . .what driver are you using? Is it the latest or is it the first one they came out with for Vista and you haven't updated beyond that? (that's partly meant to be tongue in cheek and partly because I know of some simmers who refuse to update ANY drivers once they have something setup the way they want it. . .EVER)

Snuffy
July 14th, 2009, 09:37
I can only use one monitor at a time ... :kilroy:

harleyman
July 14th, 2009, 09:52
Henry...there all on quack:bump::bump:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Thats priceless.....:bump:

djscoo
July 14th, 2009, 09:55
What kind of video card are you using?

harleyman
July 14th, 2009, 09:58
He has some sort of 8800 GTX....

some1
July 14th, 2009, 10:02
I hate to burst your bubble on that expanding to two or three monitor but that screen shot I posted above Henry is three monitors, also in FSX all three monitors are as one. You can even hit the alt button and open up another screen and put the cock pit on one and the outside of the plane on the other two.That is in Vista and in W7.

You've got Matrox Triplehead2Go, that's a completely different story. With this piece of hardware all your monitors appear to system (and display driver) as one.

Henry,

without it all you can do is to go to the "Display Settings", click the second grayed monitor and select checkbox "Extend the desktop onto this monitor", then adjust the resolution and relative position. This will expand your desktop onto second monitor, but the taskbar and games windows will still use one monitor. In FSX you can adjust the second monitor's resolution in options, and use the extra space for 2D panels, extra viewpoints and windows. But you can't expand single 3D view on more than one monitor at once.

mfitch
July 14th, 2009, 10:17
Now I am somewhat intrigued about the original problem. What we have determined is as follows.

FSX does not allow any view to be stretched across what it sees as multiple monitors.

FSX does allow each monitor to have view(s) and panels on every monitor it sees.

Only under Windows XP can an Nvidia driver do a horizontal span (make FSX think there is only one very wide monitor enabling a single view to be stretched across the set of monitors).

What is left unanswered (I think) is the following.

Why does the flat panel scaling option does not show up for some people?

Why does a panel or view moved onto a second monitor not show up for some people?

Information I have not seen in a post is what resolutions people have told FSX to use on each monitor. Mine are always set to the native (max) resolution the LCD can handle. The "Change flat panel scaling" option should (yes, I know drivers don't always work as they should) only have an effect when FSX uses a resolution lower than the native resolution.

Have the problems of panels/views not showing up on second monitors been the same for multiple aircraft? I have had trouble with individual panels if they were not constructed carefully (I think only beta versions of my own work did this). Also if the two monitors have a different resolution set, things can look odd. In particular moving from a high res monitor to a low res (which is FSX default for two monitors) means moving from the bottom of the first screen to the second screen can't work: one is "below" the second monitor.

harleyman
July 14th, 2009, 10:24
These two monitors in question are both running native resolutions and refresh rates...

Even tried monitor 2 at 600 X 900 as the objects were moning across, just remained a black screen and not showed..So we borked the resolution to its biggest to see if things were just not in view..

That wa sboth with a ned driver and a tweaked Omega 169 driver that did show Dual view in Control panel (Nvidia)

Thanks

gera
July 14th, 2009, 12:33
Sure you can!!!!!...I use two monitors as one " long horizontal one" which can be configured using the Nvidia Driver software...I have this configuration: I have two computers and FSX on both. Sometimes I use the one with Vista and the only thing I do is plug one of the monitors in the "second" Nvidia card plug..and sometimes I use the XP system and do the same.....Here is a pic showing the extended mode...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/scratchbuilt/cabina1.jpg

I use both FSX and X-Plane this way.............:applause::applause:, since this is so...I sometimes place "all" instruments in one monitor and the front view on the other...there is also a freeware program that sets up "instruments" for you in one monitor...I usually do this with "old" FS9 planes where the 2D panel looks like rut extended.....

BASys
July 14th, 2009, 12:57
Hi Folks

harleyman -
EDIT -
Ignore this.
Please see followup post below.

AIUI
You can only display panels on both monitors
when operating in windowed mode, (maximized or otherwise).

Only use following for a low-spec PC -

In Full-Screen-Display mode, (FSD),
FSX will not support child windows on a second monitor,
without utilizing a dirty workaround.

Even then
FSX itself will not display on the other monitor,
but other windows for -
OPT, AI Traffic Map & Explorer etc.
or 3rd party apps e.g. Teamspeak, IE, etc. will.

Though achieving this is somewhat convoluted.

Please try the following.

For dual monitor with -
- Monitor 1 displaying FSX in FSD
- Monitor 2 displaying additional non-FSX windows.

With FSX shutdown.

Open fsx.CFG
Edit to ensure it only contains 1 entry for -
[DISPLAY.Device.YOUR_VIDEO_CARD]
Save & close fsx.CFG.

Right-click Desktop
Left-click Properties

In Display Properties dialog -
Click settings tab
Click monitor 2 to select it
Untick "Extend my Windows desktop to this monitor"
Monitor 2 will be deactivated.

Fire up FSX
Set in Windowed mode.

Right-click Desktop
Left-click Properties

Display Properties dialog -
Click settings tab
Click monitor 2 to select
Tick "Extend my Windows desktop to this monitor"
Monitor 2 will be activated.

Now ALT + ENTER to switch FSX to FSD.
You should now be able to open other apps
or the OPT, traffic map/explorer, etc.
on the second monitor.

Be aware -
clicking apps other than the OPT will minimize FSX.
You should pause FSX and ALT+ENTER to windowed mode before doing so.

HTH
ATB
Paul

LTCSZ
July 14th, 2009, 12:58
Gera: what is that freeware program that you are referring to? Thanks,

Steve in Kansas

BASys
July 14th, 2009, 13:15
Hi Folks

Further to previous post -
FSX will fully support multi-monitor in FSD mode.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/4715/fsxdualmonitormultiview.th.jpg (http://img505.imageshack.us/i/fsxdualmonitormultiview.jpg/)

Please see the learning centre -

Aside from additional monitors, you'll need a video card that can support multiple monitors, or a system that can support multiple video cards.
Consult your computer vendor for recommendations and installation instructions.

Flight Simulator can run in either full screen or windowed mode.
When using full screen mode with multiple monitors, Flight Simulator fills the primary monitor and the other monitors will appear black.
You can move windows, such as the GPS, a spot view window, the throttle quadrant, or an overhead panel, onto a secondary monitor.

<table summary="SummaryTBD" class="SideBarTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td> EXAMPLE: To set up a cockpit like the one pictured above

Make the center moniotor your primary display. Run Flight Simulator full screen or in windowed mode.
On the Views menu, point to New View, point to Cockpit, and then click Virtual Cockpit.
Drag the window to the left monitor and size the window to fill the screen.
Pan the view in that window until you're looking at the left wing.
Repeat steps 2 through 4 for a view of the right wing on the right monitor.
Press SHIFT+3 to display the GPS.
Drag the GPS to one of the secondary monitors.
Press [ (left bracket) to display the a small view window.
Press S to display the view you want in the small window.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Edit
Low res/blurry image due to only having a 64MB video card,
running dual 1600x1200x32 monitors.

HTH
ATB
Paul

gera
July 14th, 2009, 13:46
Gera: what is that freeware program that you are referring to? Thanks,

Steve in Kansas

there you go....

<center>FSX - FSX Panels </center> <center>FSX PanelMania
</center> <center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=126741) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=126741) ] </center>
Name: panelm01.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=126741) Size: 16,883,999 Date: 09-04-2008 Downloads: 644
http://www.flightsim.com/n/panelm01.gif FSX PanelMania v01. This package contains fullscreen 2D panels (designed to be displayed on a second monitor) for all twelve default FSX aircraft with fewer than two engines. Both 5:4 and 4:3 versions are included, along with night-lighting. Also includes a few bonus features which should prove useful even if you only have one monitor: a fix for the "W" key issue; a complete set of 2D panels for the P-51 Racer; screen-only version of the GPS; Over 70 bug fixes and improvements to the default gauges. By Mike Steven.

LTCSZ
July 14th, 2009, 15:03
Thanks, Gera...

Steve

harleyman
July 14th, 2009, 16:58
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

Its fixed...... And I'm not telling....LOL

thanks for all the great answers and help !:kilroy:

BASys
July 15th, 2009, 00:26
In the voice of Mrs Doyle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs_Doyle)

Goan...
Goan...
Goan !!!

Ye know ye want ter .

harleyman
July 15th, 2009, 00:37
LOL..

It was actually just user error...And helper error....:isadizzy:

Its working great just as it should....

mfitch
July 15th, 2009, 14:02
LOL..