PDA

View Full Version : Question for the East Coast members

hey_moe
July 13th, 2009, 02:50
I done just about had enough of this rain not let's not forget the mosquitoes problems.We just installed a pool and just about every night it has either rained,cloudy or just a bit to chilly.On the mosquito problem, Langley has sprayed the area. I have sprayed,fogged, spread out all kinds of mosquito killing stuff and they just sit on the limbs of trees and laugh at me..lol. I have lived here all my life and haven't seen this type of weather as long as I can remember:frown: So far this year I think I have seen maybe a total of five 90 deg days...waaaaaaa. Last night again we had fast moving storms,rain and hail. Suffolk also had another tornado touch down and damage another 65 homes with plenty of down trees again.They say with all this cold front that has hung around from Canada all summer it should stop the amount of hurricane activity we usually receive in August and September.But I really miss the hot dry summer we always seem to get.Even we Linda and I went to Nags Head for some vacation time, five of the seven days were crappy weather.

Snuffy
July 13th, 2009, 03:04
... We just installed a pool ...

Ahah! So now we know who the culprit is ...

Nice goin Mike! :bump:

OBIO
July 13th, 2009, 03:35
Global Warming in these here parts is resulting in lower than normal day time temps and night time temps that are low enough to see your breath. Deb and I have taken to shutting the windows and grabbing a light blanket for the bed at night. The ferrets have taken to sleeping in a pile in one hammock and the dogs press refuse to get out from under the covers.

Skeeters are pretty nasty here too. We have a fairly large pond and an equally large marsh on the property, lots of tall grass off in the side yard....and those skeeters love it when the dogs insist on walking into the "wild" to do their business....I have skeeter bumps like crazy!

OBIO

stiz
July 13th, 2009, 05:18
and ironicly .... were haveing tons of sun and heatwaves :bump:

Helldiver
July 13th, 2009, 05:31
I'm surprised to hear so much discussion about it being a year without a summer.
It doesn't compare remotely to the true year without a summer, 1816.
There was another cold summer in 1936 when it snowed on my birthday, June 12.
Low temps are also the effect of the lack of hot air from Al Gore.

Kiwikat
July 13th, 2009, 05:40
Low temps are also the effect of the lack of hot air from Al Gore.

The truth hath been spoken! :engel016:

I'm also wondering what happened to global warming. This morning it was COLD outside, around 50 degrees. Northern parts of the state got into the mid 30's! It's JULY, not OCTOBER!

This summer has been cool and dry compared to "normal" (whatever that is...).

wombat666
July 13th, 2009, 05:41
Count yourselves lucky team, it is now Mid-Winter in Victoria (Australia) and our water catchments are at 28% capacity.............and that doesn't bode well for the approaching Summer and the 'Fire Season'.
:kilroy:

mariereid
July 13th, 2009, 06:14
Hey Moe, put up some bird and bat houses.It's pretty crappy up here too. I live on a salt marsh and I can make it from the house to the marsh with just a couple of slaps. We have lots of birds and bats doing their job on the insects. I can see the Atlantic ocean from my house and I swear it looks nice and sunny 10 miles out. We are surrounded by woods with a lot of dead fall from a hurricane a few years back, so I don't mind the rain. We like it 65-70 degrees, 90 would kill most fo us!

stiz
July 13th, 2009, 06:25
The truth hath been spoken! :engel016:

I'm also wondering what happened to global warming. This morning it was COLD outside, around 50 degrees. Northern parts of the state got into the mid 30's! It's JULY, not OCTOBER!

This summer has been cool and dry compared to "normal" (whatever that is...).

global warming is the wrong name really, but from what i gather:-

sun melts ice caps
ice caps melt
cool water gets into gulf stream
gulf stream cools
bye bye warm air
hello cold air

It also seems to change depending where you are, this year we had our worst (most fun :engel016:) snow fall for a good 10/20+ years and were currently haveing the hottest summer so far :blind:

sandar
July 13th, 2009, 06:32
As Stitz mentioned it is all to do with the polar ice melting.

Global warming is a misnomer, it should be either polar warming or global climate change. As the poles warm up, the ice melts and the world's weather patterns change.

cheezyflier
July 13th, 2009, 06:58
sorry, i don't worship at the church of gore

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_17DtAicxGuo/Re5UANxn4lI/AAAAAAAAAA8/UKHMc1ltfl4/s400/Gore+GW.gif

stiz
July 13th, 2009, 07:01
neither do i, but whats wrong with with cutting back, its cheaper after all ;)

Navy Chief
July 13th, 2009, 07:18
Here in southeast TN, we haven't had that much rain. But I will never complain about too much rain again. Not after the drought we went through a couple summers ago. Wells were going dry all around us. Thankfully, ours did not, but so many folks were having to redrill. Awful. So let it rain....HERE at least!

NC

Dirtman
July 13th, 2009, 08:02
Up here in Toronto Canada we're having the coolest summer that I can remember during my 52 years. Daytime highs in the 21C range (70F) whereas the normal temp should be about 27C (86F)

Nights are about 11-15C (50-60F) Great weather for sleeping but lousy for "skinny dipping" & outdoor "horizontal recreation" :eek: (you know what I mean eh? :kilroy:)

On the upside I've only had the A/C on a few times (saving lots of $$) but I need to run the furnace on some nights. I have NEVER had to run my furnace during July before .... EVER!!!!

Mosquito's? ..... I haven't even seen one yet! I'm pretty sure "Immigration Canada" deported all of them to Obi & Moe's neighborhoods! - so do say we never give yaz anything eh!!!

But they don't seem to bother with me ..... probably not enough blood in my alcohol system....

stiz
July 13th, 2009, 08:21
Daytime highs in the 21C range (70F) whereas the normal temp should be about 27C (86F)

Nights are about 11-15C (50-60F)

funny, we'd call that a nice summers day over ere :icon_lol:

Pepere
July 13th, 2009, 09:08
Vermont weather: Possible snow on Mt Washington today. Weather Person said that that is not unusual. :pop4:

David

Roger
July 13th, 2009, 09:18
Stiz,
The cooling of the Gulf stream is going to affect Northern Europe more than North America. As the Tundra melts fresh water flows into the North Atlantic and being less dense than salt water, forces the warm Gulf Stream deeper, hence cooling it. It's weird and has nothing to do with Al Gore. It's climate change, good for some, bad for others.

Tako_Kichi
July 13th, 2009, 09:34
Mosquito's? ..... I haven't even seen one yet! I'm pretty sure "Immigration Canada" deported all of them to Obi & Moe's neighborhoods! - so do say we never give yaz anything eh!!!
We've seen a few skeeters down here in Canada's 'Banana Belt' and they have been bigger than usual too and bite like buggery! :isadizzy:

Our temps have been lower this year too (which is nice) as we have only been in the 90's a few days and it's been mostly in the low 80's. Thankfully the humidity has been kept at bay too and that's usually the big problem down here. This county is surrounded on three sides by water (Lake St.Clair to the north, Detroit River to the west and Lake Erie to the south) which really adds to the humidity problem and believe me 95+ F with 95% humidity is extremely unpleasant! It feels like you can almost wring the water out of the air.

luckydog
July 13th, 2009, 09:56
I'm just a little south of you Moe....
We got some good rain last night and we're all jumping for joy. Things were getting pretty dry around here !!! Have yet to swat a skeeter this year...

cheezyflier
July 13th, 2009, 10:12
Up here in Toronto Canada we're having the coolest summer that I can remember during my 52 years. Daytime highs in the 21C range (70F) whereas the normal temp should be about 27C (86F)

On the upside I've only had the A/C on a few times (saving lots of $$) but I need to run the furnace on some nights. I have NEVER had to run my furnace during July before .... EVER!!!!

ha! cool deal, i'm here in toronto as well. (upper beaches) it is a cool summer, isn't it? and your right about the skeeters. i've not gotten a single bite so far this year.

hey_moe
July 13th, 2009, 14:03
Well don't get me wrong here but I do like the rain but we have had so much by the time ya spray for them skeeters the next day or so it is washed away.This time of the year for us is usually hot, hot , hot, but instead it's been bug,bugs, bugs.:isadizzy:

jhefner
July 13th, 2009, 14:47
sorry, i don't worship at the church of gore

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_17DtAicxGuo/Re5UANxn4lI/AAAAAAAAAA8/UKHMc1ltfl4/s400/Gore+GW.gif

Amen....

All of it is based on computer models ... yet FS users should appreciate the difficulty of building an accurate computer model of the entire world's climate that will accurately forecast 1, 10, or 20 years in the future.

How can we accurately build a model when we cannot adquately measure and forecast anthropogenic influences such as:

solar output
Earth's reflectivity
various motions of the Earth (wobble, being one)
make-up of the atmosphere (gases and particulates)
ocean currents
lifeforms themselves
internal heat sources

Did models forecasting the building of CO2 take into consideration our current reccession? Likewise, how are we able to quantify the contributions from closed societies such as North Korea, and do we have good numbers for China and the former Soviet Union? How much are they willing to disclose to us; since carbon emissions could also give stratigic insight into their military production capabilities. (Not to mention destroying our economy in the name of global warming will only result in an increase in production AND pollution in theirs to replace lost production.)

One of the biggest contributors to global warming/cooling is sunspots; is there a forecast model for that? What's more, many in the academic field believe that we still do not have enough computing power to crunch such a model even it were possible to build it. So, the best we can do is build a lightweight model that only emulates the environment (much like FS emulates aerodynamics through table lookups); and if forecasted vs actual from last year were not accurate; how can we expect future predictions to be any better?

Finally, these all of these models assume a steady-state environment; but the Ice Age and the currently observed global climate change taking place on Mars (along with channels made by water that is no longer there) proves that is not the case.

Finally, I remember the huge poster from National Geographic I had hanging over my bed from the early 1970s that graphically protrayed the various forms of pollution -- and how smoke and particulates from all of those smokestacks would case global cooling. :sleep:

-James

Brian_Gladden
July 13th, 2009, 15:09
Been so wet here lately, I only worked 4 1/2 hours last week. Just seven the week before.

This week should be better, got 6 today and I wasn't even scheduled to work. Got called in. If I can get hours on my regular days, I'll be happy.

Brian

GT182
July 13th, 2009, 18:22
Dry as all getout here in northen DE. All the rain I've seen on the weather reports has been up in PA and on up thru New England. SEND rain... my Koi are drying out. LOL

waco
July 13th, 2009, 19:13
Up here in the Pacific Northwest, we've had 2 or 3 weeks of thunder, lightning, and torrential rain. I've lived here two thirds of my life and can't remember such a continual onslaught.

Trans_23
July 13th, 2009, 19:22
I didn't bother to open my pool until almost July this year. The water got warm enough for me to swim in it one week then we went back to the mid 70s during the day and near 50 at night. Needless to say there isn't much use for the pool this summer so far. I should rip it out and get a hot tub. :isadizzy:

NCGent
July 13th, 2009, 19:32
One thing I love about living on the coast of NC is no skeeters, we have to put up with hurricanes once in a while but they don't come that often plus I'm use to things that blow a lot of hot air, I was married once:icon_lol:. No reflection on woman, I just had a bad one.

Chris

cheezyflier
July 13th, 2009, 19:59
Dry as all getout here in northen DE. All the rain I've seen on the weather reports has been up in PA and on up thru New England. SEND rain... my Koi are drying out. LOL

i have family in wilmington that say there was 20 days of rain in the first 21 days of june.

Good_2_Be
July 13th, 2009, 20:01
Hey if ya have the missing summer blues come on down to the Phoenix area we've been having lots of sun and fun......Plenty of days with no rain (just to be sure that's when water falls from the sky right?) and temps OVER 110, so come on down and we'll throw a Gila Monster on the grill for ya :ichile:

crashaz
July 14th, 2009, 17:53
Cheezy and Dirt are both from Toronto area... now it is starting to make sense. :icon_lol:

Lionheart
July 14th, 2009, 19:11
Hey if ya have the missing summer blues come on down to the Phoenix area we've been having lots of sun and fun......Plenty of days with no rain (just to be sure that's when water falls from the sky right?) and temps OVER 110, so come on down and we'll throw a Gila Monster on the grill for ya :ichile:

Good2Be is right..

(Pretend I am speaking like Rod Steiger from Night Gallery)

Imagine, if you would, a world so totally opposite of yours. Absolutely no rain. Incredibly hot days, so hot that in the night, your temps will not go below 90 degrees. Imagine that if you had to walk for a mile in this intense, extreme heat, you might not make it.

Do you know what 115 degrees is like? Have you ever seen a full wall of thunderstorms come down from the north, only to get close to Phoenix and dissipate? Have you ever seen clouds 90,000 feet up, colums of thunderheads, disappear in 1 1/2 hours? totally?

I have seen mosquitos before, but they cannot handle heat like this. Only in our winters, which make our temps normal again, similar to your summers, your regular summers.

One of the reasons Phoenix has no more rain during monsoons now is that the intense heat from the pavement and concrete radiates up. No more farmland area's inbetween the minor cities here. About 100 miles long of city in all directions..

No monsoons, no cool nights, no cool breezes, huge AC bills... Life on mars. Dont go outside! Your hair will incinerate off! You'll blister up in 20 min's! Your pupils will be eradiated with UV light beams...!

eeks! :kilroy:

Bill

Trans_23
July 14th, 2009, 19:44
Good2Be is right..

(Pretend I am speaking like Rod Steiger from Night Gallery)

Imagine, if you would, a world so totally opposite of yours. Absolutely no rain. Incredibly hot days, so hot that in the night, your temps will not go below 90 degrees. Imagine that if you had to walk for a mile in this intense, extreme heat, you might not make it.

Do you know what 115 degrees is like? Have you ever seen a full wall of thunderstorms come down from the north, only to get close to Phoenix and dissipate? Have you ever seen clouds 90,000 feet up, colums of thunderheads, disappear in 1 1/2 hours? totally?

I have seen mosquitos before, but they cannot handle heat like this. Only in our winters, which make our temps normal again, similar to your summers, your regular summers.

One of the reasons Phoenix has no more rain during monsoons now is that the intense heat from the pavement and concrete radiates up. No more farmland area's inbetween the minor cities here. About 100 miles long of city in all directions..

No monsoons, no cool nights, no cool breezes, huge AC bills... Life on mars. Dont go outside! Your hair will incinerate off! You'll blister up in 20 min's! Your pupils will be eradiated with UV light beams...!

eeks! :kilroy:

Bill

That's crazy Bill. You sounded just like Rod. Amazing! :d

cheezyflier
July 14th, 2009, 19:50
Cheezy and Dirt are both from Toronto area... now it is starting to make sense. :icon_lol:

when i'm involved, there will be as little sense as possible.

and most of that is by accident:icon_lol: