PDA

View Full Version : Tern Island

JoeW
July 12th, 2009, 02:54
I just uploaded Tern Island. This scenery has sounds, Day and night.
The scenery was made with SBuilderX and is in the correct position according to satellite views. The airport was corrected with Airport Design Editor. There are 2 custom objects in the scenery, one the Tern Island sign which was done with gmax by myself and the other is the windsock and I have no idea where I got that. Whoever did it I am eternally grateful for it. It's the best windsock I've seen. The sounds I have been collecting for the past 3 FS's. I hope you enjoy this scenery.
Before trying to install, please read the read_me.
I hope you enjoy this. It gives you a place to stop and refuel between Midway and Hawaii.
:bump:

Roger
July 12th, 2009, 02:59
Great!:ernae:

JoeW
July 12th, 2009, 06:52
I also just uploaded to Flightsim. It has been a while since I uploaded a file there so I hope I didn't make an error to keep it from posting.
I hope ya'll enjoy this.

Cag40Navy
July 12th, 2009, 09:34
if you dont mind giving us the file name on Flightsim.com, that would great

Wingmate
July 12th, 2009, 09:38
Where did you get that repaint?

Brett_Henderson
July 12th, 2009, 10:33
This looks like a lot of fun ! Check weather, winds aloft.. calculated a dead-reckoning heading and off we GO..

(real men don't use GPS..lol )

stovall
July 12th, 2009, 10:54
Thanks Joe, this is a must have for me.

JoeW
July 12th, 2009, 12:22
File name is: Tern_Isl.zip unless they changed it.
I'm not sure where I got that paint. There is a bunch at OZ. http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?&&CODE=autologin&fromreg=1 These guys are awsome.... and I don't use that phrase.
:running:

Roger
July 12th, 2009, 15:41
Looking forward to it Joe when the admins here or at Flightsim.com post it.

BananaBob
July 12th, 2009, 15:57
Thanks Joe!! :applause::applause::applause:

Navy Chief
July 12th, 2009, 15:59
Thanks Joe!!! Looking forward to this one!

NC

JoeW
July 12th, 2009, 17:03
Well ....... I haven't uploaded all that much to this site, but, I ain't gonna do it on Sunday any more. I really don't blame them either. I wouldn't raise a finger on Sunday if I didn't have to.

Cag40Navy
July 12th, 2009, 17:32
they changed the name or i cant find it on Flightsim.com..... looking forward to downloading it

Milton Shupe
July 12th, 2009, 17:46
WoW! Thanks Joe ... this is an unexpected location and one to get the locals out of the states for awhile. :) I appreciate your contributions.

Roger
July 13th, 2009, 04:43
It's up and ready:engel016:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ternisland.jpg

JoeW
July 13th, 2009, 06:19
Do you mean ...... you got out of there the first time without a strike? Or catching a bush? :applause:

There are some issues with Windows 7 and Direct X 11.
And you must have acceleration.

Roger
July 13th, 2009, 07:09
He he,
Shhhh don't tell anyone but I fly with crash detection off and no damage:engel016:

Another shot...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ternisland2.jpg

Roger
July 13th, 2009, 07:16
Joe,
Would it be that in the middle of the Pacific that tidal variations are minimal? With an island like that it woulf be easily washed away.

JoeW
July 13th, 2009, 07:38
Roger ... thats about the only thing I didn't do. I did think about it though. I just couldn't figure out how to make it do that.

Roger
July 13th, 2009, 07:44
Roger ... thats about the only thing I didn't do. I did think about it though. I just couldn't figure out how to make it do that.

Oh no I wasn't suggesting tides should be modeled Joe you've done a great scenery for us. It's just I wonder how so many "just above sea level" islands survive (tsunamis excluded).

spotlope
July 13th, 2009, 07:46
WoW! Thanks Joe ... this is an unexpected location and one to get the locals out of the states for awhile. :) I appreciate your contributions.

LOL, people in Hawaii just love it when someone refers to the mainland as "the States". It's enough to send my Hawaii-born wife into apoplexy. "We're a state, too!" she stammers. Pretty sure Tern is part of the Hawaiian chain. :mixedsmi:

Roger
July 13th, 2009, 07:49
Would that be "away from the Eastern 49"?:engel016:

spotlope
July 13th, 2009, 08:42
They just call it "the mainland". :monkies:

JT8D-9A
July 13th, 2009, 10:03
Thanks, Joe! Great work!

http://h.imagehost.org/0580/1_7.jpg

http://h.imagehost.org/0043/2_5.jpg

http://h.imagehost.org/0225/3_8.jpg

spotlope
July 13th, 2009, 10:10
Nice shots! I've gotta take my 130 up and try that route, too. Where did the flight originate?

JT8D-9A
July 13th, 2009, 10:24
Thanks, Bill! Honestly, it was just a screenshot flight, startet from Tern Island (i have no big flight time at work days). But Takeoff and Landing have been not faked.

djscoo
July 13th, 2009, 11:45
Nice shots! I've gotta take my 130 up and try that route, too. Where did the flight originate?

I normally just make short hops around in FS (I bore easily), but the only long flight I ever do with any frequency is from Tern I. to Oahu. It's a longer flight yet still manageable .

JoeW
July 13th, 2009, 11:51
I have made flights from Midway, about 3 hours in the goose, and Barking Sands on Hawaii, also about a 3 hour ride. Then you get to land without striking and hitting a bush .................:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Cactuskid
July 13th, 2009, 12:36
Joe,

I noticed that you included a great old Bob Wills ditty in the sound files. How do I get it to play? :wiggle:

JoeW
July 13th, 2009, 13:51
Go down to the trailers and park at night.
Somebody in the trailers is lonesome. The other night sound is the generator at the brick buildg. Gotta have a gen ..... Florida Power don't go there!

swimeye
July 14th, 2009, 08:34
Awesome scenery but i dont get those nice shores that are showing in the screenshots, mine are jagged and the default texture runs all the way to the water, and i have bushes on my runway? Some kind of scenery conflict? Caused by another landclass? Any other ideas?

Wing Nut
July 14th, 2009, 09:39
swimeye,
Joe stated that Acceleration is required for Tern Is. to work. Could this possibly be your problem?

swimeye
July 14th, 2009, 09:47
No, i also have acceleration, so it must be something else. I have placed the addon first in the scenery list. I have no addons for groundtextures, but i have myworld landclass installed.
I have REX installed with custom textures for watr and reefs but i do not think REX will affect the shores?

JoeW
July 14th, 2009, 11:36
The shoreline problem ...... I don't know. The bushes in the runway is on purpose. Low maintenance on the runway. The shore lines are the standard shorelines. Are you running another Landclass program or one that changes the textures?

Henry
July 14th, 2009, 11:59
Thanks Joe:applause::applause::applause:
love it!
the birds, the fish, the sounds.
makes me feel im on vacation:guinness:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/t1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/t3.jpg

H

swimeye
July 14th, 2009, 23:31
Thanks for your answer Joe, i will try to experiement with some landclass addons and see if that solves it.
It is a great scenery, lots of atmosphere ( do you use that word for describing a certain feeling in the english language?)

JoeW
July 14th, 2009, 23:45
Henry ...... you caught one of the whales in that last shot. Very rare........ Nice shots.
Swimeye ... thats exactly what I use to describe it. Ambiance and atmosphere...

BananaBob
July 15th, 2009, 00:31
Thanks again Joe! :applause::applause::applause:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5765/ternisland1a.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9016/ternisland1b.jpg

bushpilot
July 15th, 2009, 00:36
This looks like a perfect getaway location:applause::applause: Thanks!

swimeye
July 15th, 2009, 00:41
Ok. atmosphere is the right word then :jump:

And the wheater in Bananabobs shots added even more atmosphere to the scenery, those shots are awesome.

swimeye
July 15th, 2009, 04:43
I have done some more testing but i cant seem to solve to problem, here is a picture to show you what i mean, i am missing the beaches.
I have tried to remove any landclass addons but no luck.
I do not miss beaches around other islands. :isadizzy:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo214/swimeye/2009-7-15_14-1-42-93.jpg

JoeW
July 15th, 2009, 05:10
I used the default ocean white sand beach. If you have beaches on other shores then they should show here. Check and see if you have sandy beaches at .... say .... Pensacola, Florida. Or about anywhere on the east coast.

swimeye
July 15th, 2009, 05:39
Ok, i looked at the shores at Pensacola and here is the result.
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo214/swimeye/2009-7-15_15-32-10-93.jpg

Looks like the beach is missing here too? So, where can i find the missing texture, i believe i have some texture backups but the qustion is only if it is the right texture folder?

JoeW
July 15th, 2009, 07:03
In your FSX\scenery\world\texture folder there should be a file: o_whitesand_Is.bmp. Thats the texture you need. It should be 86KB in size.

swimeye
July 15th, 2009, 08:06
Ok. i will try to locate that file. Thanks for your time and your support. :mixedsmi:

Wing Nut
July 15th, 2009, 11:46
What happens if the scenery is installed without having Acceleration?

JoeW
July 15th, 2009, 13:16
What happens if the scenery is installed without having Acceleration?

Your wife will leave you!
No ..... some of the buildings and trees will not be there. Actually if people will go ahead and install acceleration with the SP2 .. FSX will be much, much better.

Dexdoggy
July 15th, 2009, 13:37
A fantastic add-on for us Joe, and much appreciated!:applause::applause::applause:

bushpilot
July 15th, 2009, 13:44

Nope.. just installed without Acceleration and she hasn't left me yet.:running::icon_lol:

dougal
July 15th, 2009, 16:10
No ..... some of the buildings and trees will not be there. Actually if people will go ahead and install acceleration with the SP2 .. FSX will be much, much better.

Hey Joe, can I have that in writing?:jump::jump:

scoutII
July 15th, 2009, 16:10
Any luck Swimeye - I am having the same problem....o_whitesand_Is.bmp. I have it....

familton
July 15th, 2009, 16:53
Any luck Swimeye - I am having the same problem....o_whitesand_Is.bmp. I have it....

Me too I have it and no sand with SP1 only. Regards, Bob.

Roger
July 15th, 2009, 17:11
Why does anyone only have SP1 these days? How can designers, especially freeware designers, accomodate these prior, half-way-house versions?

swimeye
July 15th, 2009, 20:53
Yeah i solved it. It had nothing to do with missing textures for me. What i did was to exchange the terrain config file to a config file i have downloaded from Avsim a long time ago. I believed i had it installed but when i checked it was the default terrain.cfg.

If someone wants the file i can mail it to you if you PM me my email adress.

I do not know if this really was the cause of the problem but it solved my issues.

JoeW
July 16th, 2009, 02:12
That was probably the one that Holger and someone did ( Having a senior moment) to fix the shorelines.
I'm glad you found it. This is the first time anyone has asked about shorelines.

scoutII
July 16th, 2009, 15:56
This is my problem....UTX,GEX,REX....Love the Island:ernae: oh ya - have FSX deluxe

limjack
July 16th, 2009, 18:56
Thanks Joe!!! Very nice work indeed and so enjoyable to listen to the sounds around the island:applause::applause:.
By the way, How much for the trailer? I am hooking it up and going to camp way on the other side of the island.:icon_lol:

Jim

noshadez
July 16th, 2009, 19:09

Joe...Let me tell you something..that was too cool..Your amazing in all these (type) rivot out Half inch of place rookie questions with a reply like that.. You have always been an inspiration to me all the way back to Bermuda scenery..I say to all others..Grow a ball and learn how to set your FS settings and loosen up.. turn (OFF) the crash detection..it only gives rookies something they think they (Gotcha!) about to try to look smart and junk

swimeye
July 16th, 2009, 22:54
ScoutII, Try the terrain config file i mentioned it helped both me and Familton.

scoutII
July 17th, 2009, 17:01
Got the beach now:engel016: - but what is the trench in the 2nd pic (right side of island,under plane??)

scoutII
July 17th, 2009, 17:42
Better shot of trench.....

JoeW
July 18th, 2009, 01:50
I have no idea what that is or where it came from. This "plateau" almost got this scrubbed. I have used flattens, excludes, ....... everything to get that out. I even made a mesh for the island.. it was still there. You don't see it until certain conditions so I ignored it and released it. This is the one problem that almost killed this.

scoutII
July 18th, 2009, 08:03
Thought it was just me - Awesome Island - Love to see the waves crash on shore and listen to the birds - Thanks

Meshman
July 18th, 2009, 13:33
I have no idea what that is or where it came from. This "plateau" almost got this scrubbed. I have used flattens, excludes, ....... everything to get that out. I even made a mesh for the island.. it was still there. You don't see it until certain conditions so I ignored it and released it. This is the one problem that almost killed this.

Thought about this as I mowed the lawns...:isadizzy:

Looking at the CVX file it doesn't show an exclude for the existing airport background. That's why part of the elevated water is sitting at 6' elevation. You can check that by slewing and checking the 6' boundary and deactivating the addon, where the corners should match the default flatten.

The other area I'm speculating about, as I don't have the SBuilderX source, is how the replacement Ocean poly and the new land area are composed. If the default water file is excluded and redrawn, then the area for the detailed land mass should be made as a hole within the reintroduced water poly. Within this hole of the "Parent" poly you go about constructing the island. If the reintroduced water poly is drawn and then there is just a flattened area for the land mass, with another poly to make the ground textures then yhat's probably why there is a sloping effect upwards towards the new island's mass.

But it was/is HOT, so my brain isn't functioning as well as it should. Needs some special "cool down fuel"... :icon29:

JoeW
July 19th, 2009, 07:48
There is an exclude poly in the cvx for the default airport. I did redo the water poly for the whole sector. I cut the hole for the island and applied the polys to rebuild the land mass at 6'-0" elevation. This is the third island I have done and this is the way I did it:
Try this,

1) Draw a polygon around the island (make a little bit larger than the island) and mark it as Exclude__WaterPolys. This will "erase" the existing water and hence erase the existing island. If you save and compile now you will see a broad expance of trees. This is one QMID 11 grid. Point the plane north and slew to the south-west corner. Zoom out so you can see the whole grid.

2) Make a polygon just outside the corners and mark it as Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perennial. Now you have a new patch of water.

3) Trace the new island shoreline and mark the poly as PolygonHole. This can be done by selecting the poly button in the menu, and clicking on the poly and right click and near the bottom of the selections is the command "Set as hole". Then choose the large water poly as the parent poly. The area that you set as hole should turn white or clear. If it doesn't you didn't select the poly right. you must be in poly mode to set it as a hole. This will make the island.

Build and have a look in FSX. You should see your new island. If you see nothing but water, the hole step didn't go right. If you see all trees the Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perenial poly wasn't done right.

You don't need to worry about the exclusions affecting any mesh. It won't.

When you do the shore lines, Go clockwise for lakes and counter-clockwise for Islands. Don't worry too much about this as you can reverse the direction of the line.

Regards, MatthewS
Edited by Joe Watson