PDA

View Full Version : Belgian Tomahawk

jankees
July 11th, 2009, 00:23
349 (Belgium) squadron was activated in Ikeja, Nigeria, in 1942, with the idea to defend the Belgian Congo. They were equipped with Curtiss Tomahawks.
In may 1943, they went to Britain and were re-equipped with Spitfires. At present, I believe 349 Squadron is flying F-16's.

Anyway, here's a Belgian Tomahawk:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/jk1303.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/jk1307.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/jk1310.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/jk1310.jpg

Scratch
July 11th, 2009, 15:43
Nice colors on that one:ernae:

BananaBob
July 11th, 2009, 20:56
Yepper, nice work Jan! :icon29::ernae:

CBris
July 11th, 2009, 22:00
With Brit markings?

BananaBob
July 11th, 2009, 22:06
With Brit markings? Belgium, Poland, US, were just among the few who flew with the Brits.:ernae:

CBris
July 11th, 2009, 22:12
Fair dos, but you have got to admit, Brit RAF markings on a "Belgian" plane... :belgium: would have been expected.

Oh well - today has not been lost then - I have learned something new

Epsillon
July 11th, 2009, 22:39
:applause::applause::applause:

IanP
July 12th, 2009, 01:52
Everyone got assimilated into the RAF, Chris - mainly to stop the Home Guard and Observer Corps reporting every set of colours that weren't RAF as hostiles and getting our friends (or at least our enemy's enemies at times!) shot down.

She sure does look purdy in RAF colours, though... Or maybe I'm just very biased! :icon_lol:

Nice one Jan Kees! :applause:

calypsos
July 12th, 2009, 02:09
I am pretty sure the aircraft were 'stolen' from a shipment on its way to the French Air Force and re-used by the RAF. They had little use of them (lack of spares and central servicing, when all was geared up to Spits and hurricanes), so they issued them (along with whatever spares they had) to remote operators, in N.Africa and in this case the Congo. At that time a country belonging to belgium, despite Belgium being occupied.

They were painted in RAF markings and (although stolen:icon_lol:) were on RAF charge. The BAF escaped with a few (very non-standard) aircraft after Dunkirk, so they were equipped with whatever could be found.

Z-PurpleBubble
July 12th, 2009, 02:18
I am pretty sure the aircraft were 'stolen' from a shipment on its way to the French Air Force and re-used by the RAF. They had little use of them (lack of spares and central servicing, when all was geared up to Spits and hurricanes), so they issued them (along with whatever spares they had) to remote operators, in N.Africa and in this case the Congo. At that time a country belonging to belgium, despite Belgium being occupied.

They were painted in RAF markings and (although stolen:icon_lol:) were on RAF charge. The BAF escaped with a few (very non-standard) aircraft after Dunkirk, so they were equipped with whatever could be found.

Being Belgian myself, I would rather use the term "resqued" than "stolen". By the time 349 Sqn got them, they would have been delivered to the Vichy French. So instead of delivering them to an ally of the Germans, they were delivered to the Belgian section of the RAF.

Nowadays 349 Sqn does indeed fly the F-16AM from the airbase "Dumonceau de Bergendael" at Kleine Brogel.

Jan, when and where will this gorgeous repaint be available?

jankees
July 14th, 2009, 23:07
Jan, when and where will this gorgeous repaint be available?

I'm currently on holiday, and a bit in the sticks, but I managed to get it uploaded on OZx..the outhouse when I get back.

Z-PurpleBubble
July 15th, 2009, 03:45
I'm currently on holiday, and a bit in the sticks, but I managed to get it uploaded on OZx..the outhouse when I get back.

Thanks for the update Jan! Enjoy your holiday!

Lewis-A2A
July 15th, 2009, 04:29
Great stuff as always Jan :icon29:

If you are ever in my neck of the woods ill buy you a pint from the bar, local tipple is Adnams.