PDA

View Full Version : Which Tube

Dangerous Beans
July 9th, 2009, 15:00
I've got the hang of and quite enjoy flying the default Boeings and think I'm ready for a step up. I dont really want anything too complex though, I'd rather be flying than studying.

So are there any tubes available that are better than the defauts but not as complex as the PMDG or CS offerings ?

I'd prefer a Boeing but might go for an Airbus or something else if it fits the bill.
Oh and preferable FSX native.

VFR Reviews
July 9th, 2009, 15:25
I would suggest the Boeing 727 by Captain Sim- it's not too complex because it uses older systems- I think it's a great stepping stone for people wanting to get into modern stuff like FMC's and nasty digital screens, and it's proved a lot less buggy then their 757. I doubt you'll regret it :)

Kiwikat
July 9th, 2009, 15:27
I suggest the Level-D 767. It offers complexity at only a small FPS cost. The LDS 767 has far more hours on it than any other commercial aircraft I own. The PMDG and CS planes hit FPS a lot more, and I'm still not impressed by the way CS implements some systems.

If you'd like a challenge right away, look at the Super 80 Pro from coolsky/flight1. It is a much more hands-on plane than the newer boeings, yet it still has a FMC.

VFR Reviews
July 9th, 2009, 15:46
I guess either one would be good, simply depending on just how complex you want to start off with. Either is an immense improvement on default :)

Kiwikat
July 9th, 2009, 15:58
I guess either one would be good, simply depending on just how complex you want to start off with. Either is an immense improvement on default :)

Yep, I guess I should have mentioned too. The LDS 767 is the first real complex plane I had. It is where I learned my first FMC. :jump:

Bjoern
July 9th, 2009, 16:50
The Wilco E-Jets might be something for you. The Embraers are smaller than a 737, but the systems depth is a step up without being overly complex.

kilo delta
July 9th, 2009, 16:55
I'll second the B727.....theres also a freeware version for fsx available.

FAC257
July 9th, 2009, 16:56
The only jet tube for FSX I've purchased up until this afternoon had been the Coolsky MD-80 "Super 80" which I really enjoy.

I was getting ready to grab the CS 767 when it came up, until I looked at the list of currently available repaints. So my credit card took a slight detour over to the Coolsky site and I just grabbed the newer "Super 80 Pro".

So far I'm pretty pleased with it. The FMC seems to be a bit more in-depth than the original "Super 80" version.

I just took off with what I thought was a properly programmed flight plan from KSRQ to TNCM, using my knowledge of the older MD-80 system. At least the flight plan is showing in the console readout, but I'm not real sure if that's where I'm actually heading yet. :)

http://www.coolsky.no/

Super 80 = Cone tail MD-80 w/steam gauges
Super 80 Pro = Fan tail MD-80 w/glass gauges

Both are true FSX models, but from what I think I understand the newer "Pro" model has a bit more FSX maturity built into it.

There's also a fairly good selection of repaints for both models.

FAC

warchild
July 9th, 2009, 17:27
I wont recommend the Ariane Boeings, but oly because they are quite complex, even more so than the LVLD.
The Wilco Embraers are simply a joy to fly. I love em. the perfect blend of technology and simplicity.
The CLS DC-10 is an oldy but an awesome plane, and if you fly it with a VA you can always say it's an MD-11
The Feel there/Wilco Airbuses are a little more complex than the E-jets, but still not too bad, and the fly by wire is modelled extremely well according to one real life 747 pilot I know whos flown one.. onlyproblem there is the pilot is basically along for the ride.. can you say, Boringgggg,,..
the new 717s that have come out in the last 8 months are also quite wondercful. easy to fly, and fast..
and if you dont mind it not being a jet, but still want a step up, the overall best airliner ever made can be found right here. it's Milton Shupes Dash-7.

Kiwikat
July 9th, 2009, 17:46
The Wilco Embraers are simply a joy to fly. I love em. the perfect blend of technology and simplicity.
The CLS DC-10 is an oldy but an awesome plane, and if you fly it with a VA you can always say it's an MD-11
The Feel there/Wilco Airbuses are a little more complex than the E-jets, but still not too bad, and the fly by wire is modelled extremely well according to one real life 747 pilot I know whos flown one.. onlyproblem there is the pilot is basically along for the ride.. can you say, Boringgggg,,..
the new 717s that have come out in the last 8 months are also quite wondercful. easy to fly, and fast..

Aren't all/most these planes you listed portovers?

I don't think the OP's first complex airliner should be a portover. It should be something that will give him smooth and relatively high FPS so he can easily practice his approaches. Wilco's FMC's aren't known for their accuracy either...

anthony31
July 9th, 2009, 19:00
From a realworld point of view wouldn't an Airbus be less complex than a 727? I have the CS 727 for FS9 and trying to start the engines on that can be really tricky as you need to manually set up bleeds etc. I find the Wilco Airbus to be a much easier aircraft to start as a lot of the systems are automated (it is almost disappointingly easy starting the Wilco Airbus especially when compared to the CS C130).

Just Flight make a range of "Lite" airliners (A340 for example) that may be a good stepping stone between the default and full on simulations.

I find the trickiest thing with airliners is working the FMC.

re portovers: The LevelD and Wilco Airbus have separate models for interior and exterior in my FSX system (compared to a single model in FS9) so I guess they have been recompiled for FSX??? They may not take advantage of the FSX materials but perhaps they have at least been compiled using FSX xtomdl or makemdl.

Regarding the Wilco Airbus, framerates are poor and it has taken me a long time to get to grips with the aircraft (it did spend a long time off my HD due to a poor first impression). Hard to recommend it as a first up serious airliner for those two points.

Naismith
July 9th, 2009, 21:00
Freeware - go here - http://www.simviation.com/hjg/main.htm
excellent B727, 707, DC8's
did I mention free?

Lewis-A2A
July 10th, 2009, 00:23
Just flight's F-Lite range I believe is great that that kind of stepped up approach or the flyer who wants to fly with some systems modelling but not full on.

lucas81
July 10th, 2009, 05:58
I ll second about Level-D 767. She is nice to fps, compiled with FSX tools and has great documentation and tutorial flights locked in the FSX missions formula. When I decided to buy some advanced tubeliner to learn more about the systems, she was the right choice.

Lucas

Dangerous Beans
July 10th, 2009, 10:09
Thanks all, certainly a lot to think about.

I might check out the F-Lite's, a shame there Airbuses though, a tube with a joystick just dousent seem right to me, I guess no one will notice if I fly them with my yolk though :)

Bjoern
July 10th, 2009, 11:42

The E-Jets are natives.

warchild
July 10th, 2009, 14:54

I don't think the OP's first complex airliner should be a portover. It should be something that will give him smooth and relatively high FPS so he can easily practice his approaches. Wilco's FMC's aren't known for their accuracy either...

Thasts the beauty of the DC-10. i get zero frame hits from it. i also get zero frame hits from Miltons dash-7
The 717 is perfect flights fsx native version. againn, no frame hit.
No, i took frames into account when i recommended these planes. having a cpu that isnt the worlds fastest and having survives the 2 FPS slideshow of a cheap computer with fs9 i fully understand how infuriating it can be..
Pam