PDA

View Full Version : Hawker Sea Fury - revisited

Morton
July 9th, 2009, 10:36
I was a little curious about how these skins would look since this Fury model uses the now somewhat old 512x512 texture format. Of course you'll miss some of the finer details on the skins, but i think they turned out surprisingly well.
Of course there are other more complex uptodate Sea Furys, but the T.Sanford Fury beats them all when looking at framerates!

Morton :ernae:

The_Editor
July 9th, 2009, 10:39
Very nice. :ernae:

Rami
July 9th, 2009, 10:47
Nice job, Morton! :ernae:

OBIO
July 9th, 2009, 11:25
As always Morton, those skins look amazing!

And as an FYI, you can resize the textures to 1024 by 1024 and they will still work. I have the main texture files for my Fox Four Sea Fury enlarged to 1024 by 1024 and the plane works just fine. I now resize the main texture files to 1024 just to be able to have a sharper final product.

OBIO

Bill Kestell
July 9th, 2009, 12:30
:ernae: ... OUTSTANDING, MORTON! :ernae:

Morton
July 9th, 2009, 12:34
Is that true Obio? That idea didn't occure to me! I thought the 512x512 textures somehow was fixed to the MDL compilation. If that works i just have to try it..:applause: eeh..FYI is short for?

Mort :icon29:

Tako_Kichi
July 9th, 2009, 12:58
FYI is short for?
I'm not OBIO but FYI means For Your Information.

I find this site to be of use when I come across an unknown acronym.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

OBIO
July 9th, 2009, 14:22
Morton,

It is true....you can resize texture files and they will still work. The only ones that you can not resize are the old old style ones, the ones that have the AF in the texture extension...but there is a way around that by running the MDL through a neat little converter that changes the MDL to use BMP files..then you can resize to your heart's content.

From what I understand, when a model is texture mapped, the mapping is done by coordinates....like a DP file basically. So many units to the left and so many units down and that is the beginning of the area for the left upper wing...I think the units are in percentages....so changing the size of the texture map does not change anything with how the model finds the area for the various parts.

OBIO

oldwheat
July 9th, 2009, 14:52
Obio= Which converter are you using? I believe that we have had this discussion before but I forget what the final result was. Of course, with all the newer models that have come out, converting AF textures is becoming less necessary.

merlin2
July 9th, 2009, 15:57
really just a theoretical question--at this point--but can you resize to 2048?

merlin2

OBIO
July 9th, 2009, 17:10
Oldwheat

The converter I have used can be found on Flightsim.com. I think it is called Tex512 by Chuch Dome (Tex512.zip). Very easy to use, just be sure to read the directions carefully so that you get the file renaming part right.

Merlin2,

You can resize to 2048 for doing high detail work in your photo editor/paint program, but CFS2 will only recognize up to 1024 (same with FS2002 and FS2004...FSX will handle a 2048 by 2048 file size). I have taken texture files as large as 4096 by 4096 in order to get the panel lines on the fuselage crisply. You have to resize the texture back down to a max of 1024 by 1024 before sending it to the sim.

OBIO

Ravenna
July 9th, 2009, 17:26
Great work Morton, as always. Do you have a time and unit for the grey RN Sea Fury?
:ernae:

Collin
July 9th, 2009, 18:26
Morton, the model was made by Hayden "Fang" Scott-Williams after a lot of research by him and myself in conjunction with the pilots and hangar crew who gave advice and lent us their own photo's for the aircraft and the ship HMS Ocean. So we didn't make the mistake of going down the modern repro road for the paint job.

Collin

Tango_Romeo
July 9th, 2009, 20:14
Morton, the model was made by Hayden "Fang" Scott-Williams after a lot of research by him and myself in conjunction with the pilots and hangar crew who gave advice and lent us their own photo's for the aircraft and the ship HMS Ocean. So we didn't make the mistake of going down the modern repro road for the paint job. Collin

...the refurbished and updated model file posted on the EXTRAS page. You really do need to get out more. :bump:

Nice skins BTW, Morton. :applause:

Updated Sea Fury FB11 MDL File by Tom Sanford - posted October 2007
NEW update of the Hayden Scott-Wiiliams Sea Fury FB11 from the Fox Four Korea Ocean Fury campaign

http://www.simviation.com/lair/images/sid8tn.JPG

sf_upgrade.zip (http://www.simviation.com/lair/files/sf_upgrade.zip) (526KB)

Features:

Neatened & More Detailed Cockpit
New 'SID' Pilot Figure
Upgraded Textures
Note: This is not a complete aircraft. Sea Fury Fb11 from the Fox Four Ocean Fury campaign required.

Collin
July 9th, 2009, 20:48
...the refurbished and updated model file posted on the EXTRAS page. You really do need to get out more.

Sorry.........I thought this model was made by Hayden???????:censored:

Morton
July 10th, 2009, 03:25
Scott Williams, Sanford.. or both... i wouldnt know, i 'm only painting it :icon_lol: Anyway, It's a pretty Fury and Obio's tip about resizing the textures to 1024 bits made me start on another set. Just have to try it..

Tango_Romeo
July 10th, 2009, 05:20
Anyway, It's a pretty Fury and Obio's tip about resizing the textures to 1024 bits made me start on another set. Just have to try it..

...keep on keepin' on! Resizing works. Collin taught me that trick several years ago :applause:, I gave it to OBIO awhile back and now he's passed the baton yet again. :medals:

Tango_Romeo
July 10th, 2009, 05:35
Sorry.........I thought this model was made by Hayden???????:censored:

...make no never mind, Cuz. It's all good. :ernae:
Of all the aircraft I've experienced in CFS2, I've never found one that I liked as much, or that flew as well as this one. And the Ocean Fury campaign is my all-time favorite as well. :engel016:

Anyone who hasn't flown the Sea Fury (Hayden's original or Sanford's update) off of Collin's HMS Ocean through the war-torn skies of Korea, just ain't seen the elephant. The MiGs, La-11s and Yak-9s will eat you alive, if you're not on your toes. But the Sea Fury is the equal of them all. And the ground attack is challenging as well. :applause:

oldwheat
July 10th, 2009, 09:14
Thanks Obio! BTW: Has anyone mentioned that; contrary to 'urban legend', making a larger .bmp does diddly-squat in negatively affecting frame rates.

OBIO
July 10th, 2009, 10:48
Thanks Obio! BTW: Has anyone mentioned that; contrary to 'urban legend', making a larger .bmp does diddly-squat in negatively affecting frame rates.

That is my experience as well Oldwheat.....increasing texture file sizes does not have a negative effect on frame rates.

OBIO

Collin
July 10th, 2009, 12:18
That is my experience as well Oldwheat.....increasing texture file sizes does not have a negative effect on frame rates.

OBIO

Yep...but what it does affect is the download size, Hayden had to make the original textures small so that the whole aircraft folder was easier to cram into the .exe file used for the self-extractor. Couldn't do it for the ships as it would have made them look stupid with no detail.

regards Collin:ernae:

Morton
July 14th, 2009, 12:20
Any moment now, ready to upload all the Fury skins again + some new, all in 1024 texture size. Thanks Obio and Tango for revealing this great idea for the Fox-Four Fury.

Morton :ernae:

Morton
July 16th, 2009, 12:21
Okey. Resizing and repainting done. Textures are now much more detailed with some weathering added. Some new skins are added as well in the two uploaded packages.
Many of you will rekognize the Serial 114/0 : On 8 August 1952, FAA pilot Lieutenant Peter "Hoagy" Carmichael Royal Navy downed a MIG-15 in air-to-air combat, making the Sea Fury one of the few prop-driven fighter aircraft to shoot down a jet-powered fighter.

Morton:icon29:

Morton
July 16th, 2009, 12:26

oldwheat
July 16th, 2009, 13:34
Whoopee! :jump: The Sea Fury campaign is one of my favorites!