PDA

View Full Version : Horten Ho.229

Cowboy1968
July 7th, 2009, 18:45
Recently i caught a presentation on the History International channel and they were talking about the Horten Ho229.

In the program they were disusing the stealth abilities of this bird. Northrop-Grumman did a mock up of the ship and then ran it through through its RSC test facility .The results were astonishing. The test were set up to emulate what the aircraft would have done against the British Chain Home system. This system used transmitters that operated at 20-50 mhz. This produced a 12 meter sound wave.

This set could detect a 109 while it was just coming off the coast of France while it was still around 20 minutes out. At the speed and range detected the RAF had plenty of time to intercept, but the design shape and materials used to build was able to cut its radar cross section by 20 percent. The tests indicated that the radar sites wouldn't pick up the aircraft tell it was six minutes out. This figure was based on the high speed of nearly 600 mph of the Ho.229 and its reduced RSC.

According to the research done in the project by Northrop it took the RAF about 10 minutes from the time of detection to the time intercept to engage targets detected by Chain Home. This gave a deficit to the RAF of four minutes meaning by the time the RAF got into intercept the German would have already been on target.

This bird could have possibly changed the war or delayed its end.

Does anyone have a good Ho.229 for the sim.

Cody Coyote
July 7th, 2009, 20:55
There is this one out there by Steve Robinson. It was designed for FS2000 but works fine in CFS2. I downloaded it years ago and have no idea where I got it. I'd try a search at FLightsim or Simviation. If you can't find it (or no one else remembers where it came from), PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

gedm
July 7th, 2009, 22:34
http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb.cgi?section=vintage&file=Horten.zip

Cheers :kilroy:

G

Ickie
July 8th, 2009, 02:03
I seen the same show, and I really enjoyed it.
I love the moch up they made in record breaking time, heck they should have offered to rebuild the one in storage somewhere in the US. They did show that it was in bad shape. I did not know any exsists anywhere. That was a nice Plane in its hayday.

Cowboy1968
July 8th, 2009, 05:28
you know given the shape of he aircraft and so on, You have to think Northrop, had to have access to the 229, long before they did the program. Just look at some of the design aspects of the B-2 Bomber compared to the 229 such as the locations of the buried engines, the similarity in body shape and all.