PDA

View Full Version : Saw the ISS twice this past night

Cazzie
July 7th, 2009, 06:44
The wife and two boys saw it with me when it passed SW to NW last night from about 10:43 EDT to 10:49. The magnitude then was -2.0, the same as Jupiter, in other words you cannot miss it. This morning, it passed nearly overhead from 5:03 EDT to 5:09 at a brighter -2.6 magnitude in dusky morning light.

Tonight it will pass SE to NE at magnitude -3.2, when it passes from 9:31 to 9:37.

To find out when and where to look for the ISS, visit Heavens Above: http://www.heavens-above.com/.

Under Configuration, click the edit manually and type in your coordinates. If you do not know then, use the map or nearest city listed or get them from Google Earth or Google Maps. Then set your time zone and click Submit. Click ISS and a table will be shown showing when and where to look. Click a date for a star chart and click the Ground Track link for a chart showing the course.

Caz

luckydog
July 7th, 2009, 06:59
Too cloudy here.......
fortunately there are three more evening passes this week:jump:

OBIO
July 7th, 2009, 08:03
Yesterday morning, or maybe the morning before that, I had the dogs out around 4 AM and saw an incredibly bright object in the sky. I grabbed my binoculars, hoping to get a better look to help determine if it was a planet, a star that had gone super nova or a UFO. May well have been the ISS...had not even thought about that.

OBIO

Cazzie
July 7th, 2009, 08:34
Yesterday morning, or maybe the morning before that, I had the dogs out around 4 AM and saw an incredibly bright object in the sky. I grabbed my binoculars, hoping to get a better look to help determine if it was a planet, a star that had gone super nova or a UFO. May well have been the ISS...had not even thought about that.

OBIO

You cannot mistake it OBIO, it moves pretty fast. One does not see it from horizon to horizon, rather from Earth's shadow to Earth's shadow, so it is always predominately high in the sky when you see it. It is very easy to distinguish from an airplane, it moves faster and in an arc. Other than Jupiter and Venus, there is no star in the sky as bright as the ISS.

Caz

Snuffy
July 7th, 2009, 09:15
Thanks for that link Caz ...

It'll be interesting for sure ... Now if I could just see it through the damned city lights I have to contend with.

OBIO
July 7th, 2009, 10:02
You cannot mistake it OBIO, it moves pretty fast. One does not see it from horizon to horizon, rather from Earth's shadow to Earth's shadow, so it is always predominately high in the sky when you see it. It is very easy to distinguish from an airplane, it moves faster and in an arc. Other than Jupiter and Venus, there is no star in the sky as bright as the ISS.

Caz

Well, that rules out the ISS, as this bright spot was either stationary or moving very very very slowly. I am familiar with seeing Venus and Mars in the morning sky, and know how they look, but this was several times brighter. The UFO theory is still open I suppose.

OBIO

Matt Wynn
July 7th, 2009, 10:29
if its very slowly that should suggest either planet OR low earth orbit satellite.... see the ISS quite regular, i tend to go for a cigarette just as it passes over where i am, its quite something to think that thats a manned space station hats off to NASA,EASA and the rest of the group :icon29:

Wittpilot
July 7th, 2009, 13:36
OBIO,

I just seen on the Columbus news that you would have been able to see it the other day as it flew directly over Cbus... maybe it was the same day??

-witt

luckydog
July 7th, 2009, 17:39
The ISS just now flew over........beautiful !!!