PDA

View Full Version : Stratojet Albatross

falcon409
July 4th, 2009, 06:25
I have had the "Merlin" in this series for a long time and had forgotten all the other interesting models they had. This one surfaced in a multiplayer flight last week and I went back and downloaded it. Other than the default liveries in the package I wasn't able to find much else so I set out to add some new "fictional" liveries for this "fictional" bird. I'll probably do a Navy version next.

Matt Wynn
July 4th, 2009, 06:57
great to hear, i love the 'Merlin', if its a fictional bird and you re-texture it should that mean they are correct liveries and therefore historically accurate?:wiggle: now where'd i put my paintkit for it.....

falcon409
July 4th, 2009, 07:28
Good point smoothie, I'll press on with the Navy livery. Here's a few "in sim" shots of the AF version:

Matt Wynn
July 4th, 2009, 07:31
gonna hop on a few schemes myself :) probably an RAF one and more than likely a display scheme, gotta look good even if you don't participate :jump:

OBIO
July 4th, 2009, 08:04
The Stratojet Albatross is one very well done model. Everything about it screams "I'm Real, I'm Real". I have come across a good number of fictional models, and they just felt fictional. The Albatross is so well modeled, so well thought out, that it has the feel of being a plane you have seen flying.

And the plane is a joy to fly. Take off behavior is smooth, flight is smooth, landing is smooth...on land and water.

Looking forward to your paints Falcon.

OBIO

Mongo
July 4th, 2009, 08:49
Great job guys - I agree this is an awesome model.

For anyone that's interested, I posted a Shockwave lights config over at A2A:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10187&p=138473#p138473

Matt Wynn
July 4th, 2009, 09:16
fantastic, thanks mongo! have a brewski.. put it on Falcons Tab he won't notice :kilroy: :icon29:

falcon409
July 4th, 2009, 09:23
fantastic, thanks mongo! have a brewski.. put it on Falcons Tab he won't notice :kilroy: :icon29:
Tab? I have a tab? Wow. . .drinks all around, lol. Great job Mongo, that was on my "to do" list but I can scratch that one off.

Matt Wynn
July 4th, 2009, 09:28
wowee! that certainly makes all the difference! looks that bit more real:applause:

falcon409
July 4th, 2009, 09:32
wowee! that certainly makes all the difference! looks that bit more real:applause:
Yep, love those A2A 3D lights.

Silver Fox
July 4th, 2009, 10:06
The Albatross should look real, it's based on the Beriev A-40 Albatross (NATO reporting name Mermaid) after all!

Still, the smaller size of the "fictional" Albatross makes it better in my mind, I always thought the size of the A-40 worked against it in the marketplace.

Mongo
July 4th, 2009, 10:23
Glad you guys like it! Thanks for the beer Smoothie... er*... Falcon lol!

Matt Wynn
July 4th, 2009, 10:33
The Albatross should look real, it's based on the Beriev A-40 Albatross (NATO reporting name Mermaid) after all!

Still, the smaller size of the "fictional" Albatross makes it better in my mind, I always thought the size of the A-40 worked against it in the marketplace.

the size of the A40 was reduced from the initial design and is still the worlds largest jet amphibian, its baby brother the civilian Be-200 runs a close second, Be-200 has actually secured orders as a firefighting aircraft, great news really, Beriev deserve some good sales... speaking of the A-40 i had started it as a project here is how far it got....

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/A-40-1.jpg

falcon409
July 4th, 2009, 11:35
... speaking of the A-40 i had started it as a project here is how far it got....
Hey, nice job smoothie, looks like that's comin along pretty well.

Here's the early Navy version. . .WIP. . .I won't do much else to this until later next week. I'm headed to Chicago early tomorrow morning and won't return until late Wednesday evening.:wavey:

Matt Wynn
July 4th, 2009, 11:51
looking good there :ernae: just making the PSD paintkit i'll use and once my sites done no doubt throw it on there... :jump:

Lazerbeak
July 4th, 2009, 15:11
Great minds think alike! :icon_lol:

I was impressed by this model, and also at how easy she is to paint. I have cooked up Canadian rescue, USCG, Chinese Navy, and civilian schemes for this lovely, and many many more in works. I wasn't planning to upload, but maybe I'll join the club Falcon has started. :ernae:

Mongo
July 4th, 2009, 17:23
Personally, I'd love it if you'd all consider sharing - I love this a/c, but the original paints get tiresome after a while. BTW, here's another thing you can add if any body likes. According to Mr. Heyart's Stratojet website, the Albatross is fitted with Rolls Royce AE3007 Turbofans - I found an appropriate soundpack over at Flightsim.com here's a link:

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=100827

Matt Wynn
July 5th, 2009, 02:46
Thanks Mongo :ernae: is it me or does this thing need more panel lines? just an observation, if its metal it seems likely there'll be panel lines...

Matt Wynn
July 5th, 2009, 04:42
just an update, work on my first scheme to come out of the hangar will be this.... still a fair bit to do but should be done soon :wiggle:

heres some completed Hellenic Coastguard shots:
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/1downenglishside.jpg
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/1downgreeksidecopy.jpg

another 2 or 3 schemes and i'll release a pack....

Mongo
July 5th, 2009, 10:33
Very nice!

modelr
July 5th, 2009, 11:08
When I first saw your "Merlin" the first thing that came to my mind was the Martin P6M "SeaMaster"

(Pic borrowed from Wikipedia page on P6M.)

Matt Wynn
July 5th, 2009, 13:33
Quick Q...... has anyone mated the albatross with 'Nicks prop dust incl all-wet' ? if so what are the effect parameters in the CFG? many thanks in advance :jump:

Lazerbeak
July 5th, 2009, 15:48
Not meaning to hijack a thread, but here's my contribution to all this Albatross renaissance. :wiggle:

The screens are not a very good quality, taken from ACM, but they'll have to do. This paintkit has many new details, shadows, panel lines, rivets, dirt, etc.

HorusJ
July 5th, 2009, 18:53
Lazerbeak.Those are stunning!:applause: Any chance you will make them available?

strikehawk
July 5th, 2009, 22:16
This bird kind of reminds me of the planes that were drawn for Johnny Quest.
I did try to find a shot of the plane but finding something that niche is really difficult.

Txmmy83
July 6th, 2009, 03:46
nice to see that this bird gets some real nice paintjobs :)

that plane could look nice in a fictional Italian Protezioni Civil waterbomber
if anyone want to paint that just search the net for pictures of an Italian canadair 415

BR
Tom

Txmmy83
July 6th, 2009, 03:49
one question to all that are repainting the albatross is their a paintkit available and if yes where ?

BR
Tom

Matt Wynn
July 6th, 2009, 05:04
only paintkits are user made, and the IPC is on my list :jump:

Matt Wynn
July 7th, 2009, 03:51
well i said i'd do the IPC and i have..... will do 1 more scheme then upload a 3 pack....

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/fs92009-07-0703-36-22-05.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/fs92009-07-0703-42-56-03.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/fs92009-07-0703-46-10-19.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/fs92009-07-0703-48-00-63.jpg

Txmmy83
July 7th, 2009, 14:41
Matt,
that paint is looking good on the Albatross :applause:
have a look at the roundel on your paint ;)

BR
Tom

edmoore235
July 9th, 2009, 10:42
Great looking repaints Falcon!! Just started flying this one - what a fun aircraft to fly. Did the A2A lights and wow - great. Again, as an old navy guy would enjoy USN livery to fly ....

Ed

Matt Wynn
July 9th, 2009, 12:51
ok italian done.... and corrected, next scheme is.... classified :icon_lol: nah i'll tell you its a private scheme registered G-TSOH :ernae: expect images soon.....

falcon409
July 9th, 2009, 13:43
ok, I'm back. Left for Chicago early Sunday morning and just got back early this morning. Man you guys have been busy. I'll get back on my stuff this evening sometime and get some zipped for download.

Matt Wynn
July 10th, 2009, 02:05
just thought falcon, if i send you my files could release it as a mass texture pack or vice versa....:ernae:

Txmmy83
July 10th, 2009, 10:24
thats actually a good idea but keep it at a reasonable filesize or make it into vol1 & vol2
large files are no prob for me but there maybe people with slower connections

BR
Tom

Railrunner130
July 10th, 2009, 12:29
Nice paint schemes to all!

Ed,
One small comment. Just an idea. Special Ops would most likely be involved with this aircraft. A CV-22 paint scheme would be really neat on it.

:icon29:

Lazerbeak
July 10th, 2009, 14:17
Some updates:

More detail added to paintkit (door handles, warning decals, reversers, etc.) and two more paints: Italian Guarda Costiera, and Venezuelan Armada. Also USCG paint is improved with a better orange colour.

To Railrunner130, USAF low-vis is planned. Also paints for IRIAF, USN (based on Greyhound schemes) and St. Maarten based tour plane are in works.

edmoore235
July 10th, 2009, 14:22
Way cool paints - wow! Great job by all the REPainters. Thanks in advance.

Ed

CG_1976
July 10th, 2009, 15:11
Whoa hold the phone. Were do i please get my hands on the USCG paint please:icon29:

Txmmy83
July 10th, 2009, 15:32
is one of the repainters please so kind and shares the paintkit with me

thanks in advance
Tom

srgalahad
July 10th, 2009, 15:36
Whoa hold the phone. Were do i please get my hands on the USCG paint please:icon29:

Thank you for your call. For quality control purposes your call may be monitored or recorded. All our service agents are occupied with other customers. Please continue to hold as your call is important to us and you will be served sooner than calling again. Your current wait time is... less than <click>... <buzz>

Lazerbeak
July 10th, 2009, 16:25
You know, I had a strange feeling you will have liked that one. :ernae:
It will be available very s**n along with all others. Also, here's shots of the USAF spec-ops livery (based in actual V-22 schemes) which is finishing up.

CG_1976
July 10th, 2009, 16:31
You know, I had a strange feeling you will have liked that one. :ernae:
It will be available very s**n along with all others. Also, here's shots of the USAF spec-ops livery (based in actual V-22 schemes) which is finishing up.

Thank you and the USAF one is lookin great. Be fun flying these into and outa Gitmo's Harbor.

Railrunner130
July 11th, 2009, 05:45
Thanks Lazerbeak! Looks nice!

To derail the subject for a second.....I'm still trying to figure out why the CV-22s don't comply with the correct tail number system in place by the USAF.

AMC and SOC use five digits on the tail. The first is the last digit of the fiscal year when the airplane was purchased followed by four digits that were assigned by (I think) Material Command. Some units, like the 136 AW had their airplanes specifically purchased for them and are numbered 85-1361 through 1368. That means on the tail, you'd have 51361 and so forth. To the untrained eye, it looks random, but isn't. The unit numbering isn't a rule, just an easier way of tracking tails that someone came up with.

Back to the Albatross!

:ernae:

expat
July 13th, 2009, 00:09
Hey, I have been following this thread and always thought Eugene's 'Tross was his most fascinating fictional creation. Like the idea of a long range, high speed, amphibious, STOL/Bush, private jet! Thing is, it works on my rig at least, very well in FSX including the VC.

Are you going to upload the great paints you show on this thread?

expat

edmoore235
July 15th, 2009, 11:05
Gee did I miss the uploads? Where did they go to?

Take care.

Ed :bump: :bump: :bump: :jump: :wiggle: :applause:

Matt Wynn
July 16th, 2009, 02:59
they're coming, just bogged down with R/W commitments, weekend i won't be able to upload them as i'm at RIAT from Tomorrow till Monday...:jump: but they Will get uploaded...

Railrunner130
July 16th, 2009, 03:38
RIAT?!!! That's a good reason for not uploading already!!!

:ernae:

Thanks in advance!

Helldiver
July 16th, 2009, 04:27
I think that on a twin engined plane a water rudder is redundant. You don't see one on a PBY or a Goose. You steer it with the engines.
It's a beautiful "what if" airplane and something that is really needed, I don't care how good the Helicopters are, they can't go as fast, carry as good a payload nor have the range as a good old airplane.
Somehow the water injestation of the engines has to addressed either thru baffles or a bypass method. Even at moderate seas, I've watched water go well over the the wing on Coast Guard aircraft.

Helldiver
July 16th, 2009, 05:02
This is rough schematic of a baffle to protect the engine from water. It's more or less how turbo props work with the engines pointing "backwards".
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/Robfolsom/Shroud.jpg?t=1247748908

Matt Wynn
July 16th, 2009, 05:03
the sea stops for no man.... you can land in a calm sea then less than 10 minutes later be encountering 20ft swells, that'd stop yer albatross from taking off, good job FS Doesn't have that :) where i fly i'd never be able to take off.... and you're right helldiver water rudder is kind of redundant but having the engines mounted where they are powering one up gives negligible effect, needs a backup, even the A-40 mermaid has a water rudder, most modern seaplanes/flying boats/twin Amphibs have them as either a primary or a backup....

expat
July 16th, 2009, 05:22
Very much enjoying the re-newed interest in this unusual aircraft. For any of you who also fly FSX, with very few (but fun and easy to do) mods this plane is more vice free than some native FSX payware aircraft.

Here's a private/VIP version I did using one of Eugene's default paints - great for getting out of town in a hurry for some fishing in Canada or the Carribean!

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4149/malx.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/i/malx.jpg/)

Matt Wynn
July 16th, 2009, 06:14
another Albatross Pilot, they're all coming out of the paintwork today :icon_lol: and great little scheme that:icon29:

Helldiver
July 16th, 2009, 07:24
Here's what the water spray baffles in place would look like.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/Robfolsom/shr.jpg?t=1247757502

Mongo
July 16th, 2009, 14:04
Awesome work expat! Helldiver, I've never seen water spray baffles before - they really give this plane a great look though! :applause:

Helldiver
July 16th, 2009, 19:18
I've changed them to be more aerodynamic in keeping with the advanced design of such a beautiful aircraft.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/Robfolsom/shr-1.jpg?t=1247800637

Helldiver
July 17th, 2009, 05:19
With sincere apologies to Falcon 409 but I couldn't leave this design alone. Now I am not an artist but you can get an idea where I'm going.
I "modernized" the spray baffles. Took the pontoons off the wingtips to save weight and added some winglets on the tips. I added a sponson, ala Boeing 314, to supplement the pontoons. It will house the main landing gear instead of it intruding into the cargo space. It also holds some fuel and adds some lift. I also added a anti-reflection area in front of a windshield.
Any interest Piglet?
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/Robfolsom/shr-2.jpg?t=1247835813

3/7charlie
July 17th, 2009, 09:46
The spray baffles look great. too bad that the compressor stall would be visable from the moon.
A better system would be a bleed air spray suppression system and carefull placement of spray stake, a la PS-1/US-1 and P6M. Turboshaft engines are okay with breathing back wards. lower mass flow, and we do it all the time. Jet engines move alot of air, and dont like blocked inlets.sponsons have some advantages in lower speed aircraft, but are a massive drag penalty,bad for throwing up spray and flow interactions with the wing will give your aerodynamisist fits. Also make it hard to get up to a dock.
just my 2bits worth. The repaints are lookin great.Cant wait, as this is one of my favorite FS models. she also fits in the dock well of Al Webbers LHA.
3/7charlie

Helldiver
July 17th, 2009, 10:41
In my speckled career, under Eisenhower's sad Adminstration and during a bad economy, I took a job with the Lewyt Vacuum Cleaner Co. as an Mechanical Engineer.
These people took air movement very seriously. As long as my intake source is greater than 300%, there would be any effect due to pressure drop. I figured in 400%. Now I know it's not a perfect analogy but the fluid dynamics remain the same. Hence there should be no compressor stall.
Sucking air is all the same.

Helldiver
July 17th, 2009, 11:08
As far as the sponsons are concerned, you apparently don't understand sail boats and the interaction between the Jib and the Mainsail or how bi-planes have greater lift than a monoplane. Its the interaction between the two airfoils that give additional lift.
When you consider that weight reduction by removing the hydraulically actuated pontoons out at the wing tips, the place to put the landing gear, plus additional fuel, the sponson also provides a method of getting access to the aircraft.
Great for rescues. Sure beats being dragged up in a helicopter in a stretcher by a string.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/Robfolsom/air-cargo-airmail-image-088.jpg?t=1247857174

3/7charlie
July 17th, 2009, 17:41
Helldiver:

Although a jet engine is not a vacuum, nor is a sail boat an airplane, And despite toiling away for 20+ years as an AME, with several thousend hours of flyingboat and amphibian maintenance and operating hours, thousends of hours developing and fabricaring advanced floats, and growing up on boats of all sorts, I would not presume to debate you. As for covering up inlets, and the far out things happening at high power settings in inlets, look at what MiG and Sir Siddney had to do with the MiG29 and Harrier, respectivly, to get them to breathe with a mesh FOD screen in front of the inlet(MiG), and at max power/zero airspeed with out intolerable airflow sparation(Harrier). Aye, theres the rub. jet engines do not like disturbed airflow at the compressor face. Ask the guys at GD about the 10,000 screaming agonies suffered trying to make the F-111's inlets behave( ducts too short, unfavorable flow interaction from the glove) Massive computing power to run computational fluid dynamics have helped, But there is a reason that no one has tried to make jets breath backwards, or cover up inlets, out side of a few 'stealth' applications, which dont suck backwards, and suffer from pressure recovery penalties from screens and baffles, which is why the second generation LO aircraft use carefully designed longish 'S'ducts and lots of RAM.
But what do I know.
Cheers. 3/7charlie

Helldiver
July 18th, 2009, 04:49
While I recognize your work and experience over the years, I don't think that your quite up to snuff on fluid dynamics.
A wing is a wing whether it's on a sailboat, a hang glider, a sail plane, a bi-plane or a monoplane. They all work the same at different velocities.
As far as the F-111 is concerned (I worked on the prototype) your talking about a different, high performance, jet engine with a completely different demands and purpose. They were faced with making it's cross section as small as possible in order to reduce it's radar signature. (they never won)
The demands made on an amphibian, with a lot lower power requirements, are quite a bit different. You can look at the Lockheed 1011 with a 17 foot drop until it meets the engines inlet.

expat
July 18th, 2009, 05:52
Al Webbers LHA

What dock is that and where can it be found?

3/7charlie
July 18th, 2009, 10:54
Like I said, Helldiver. I could not presume to debate any one who has done everything, I bow to the mighty weight of your wisdom, Sir, as allways you are right about everthing. Of course, sail boats and vacuum cleaners are precisely like aircraft. Age=wisdom. How could I forget. I am also confused, as LO was not considered in the F-111. If you can look down the inlet and see the fan, so can any radar system, and the inlet(compressor face) and, unsuprisingly, front bulkhead(behind the radome) and cockpit are the big contributors to RCS.
Al Webbers LHA may be found at FS Shipyards, Pay ware, but inexpensive,and you get a nice AAV-7. The repaints look great.I cant wait.By the way, does anyone know what it is on the panel the causes a crash to desktop when the 2-D panel is selected?(running in FSX)
Hanging my empty head in shamed ignorance-3/7charlie

expat
July 18th, 2009, 13:19
does anyone know what it is on the panel the causes a crash to desktop

I am running this in FSX. Have had a error message and it seems to have stopped due to my omitting to add the ground callouts into the main Sound folder. You can switch the callouts on/off on the panel. The d/l also says you need the gaugesound.dll in the main FS9 (FSX too?) folder so I did that too.

Re FSX, I have also had to raise the float contact points as it sat too low in the water but then I found the nose wheel brake sprayed sparks etc on land so I have found a compromise in the contatct points that works. Will keep tweeking and report any other anomolies/fixes.

expat

wombat666
July 19th, 2009, 08:13
Like I said, Helldiver. I could not presume to debate any one who has done everything, I bow to the mighty weight of your wisdom, Sir, as allways you are right about everthing.
Hanging my empty head in shamed ignorance-3/7charlie

Touche!
:applause::applause::applause:

phantomx1
July 19th, 2009, 11:15
Wow, look at this big ole water pump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfXX7qppbc&feature=related

expat
July 20th, 2009, 09:59
Helldiver definately has the right - and a good - idea re the need for some water ingestion protection. I also thought your artwork mods to the screenshot are very well done, Helldiver.

I am not a aerospace engineer but recall that the Seamaster had all sorts of problems in this regard. At the same time I have never seen a reverse facing intake on a jet engine. The L1011 (and 727) had a long ducted intake, but that remained the same diameter as the fan and the intake was still forward facing to benefit from the "ram" effect.

It may be that in order not to constrain the airflow into the compressor that a reverse facing intake needs to have the constant diameter of the engine fan. Kind of in the shape of a donut cut in half. The resulting drag coefficient would likely be negative however.

I also don't know whether having air coming into the intake against the slipstream and also so close to the opposite - and stronger - flow out the back of the turbine nozzle would have adverse effects.

Back to the original topic - those paints on the first couple pages look great and I hope they get released. Having done a civil version, this one is made for a USMC "special ops" version - maybe like the CS C-130 Herc that comes with a very cool low vis USMC paint, if you are familiar with that model.

expat

3/7charlie
July 21st, 2009, 13:15
If my memory serves, the P6M's were fairly free of water injestion. As in the test video, jets can swallow alot of water, dirt ect, as long as its free from big, hard chunks. The 2 XP6M's and YP6M-1's suffered from being short on puff(J-71's), and so had afterburners fitted to speed things up on take off, however, the A/B were unreliable and would blow out on take off, and required the full time attention of the co-joe to keep the fires lit, which, according to several of the pilots , resulted in a very high workload in take off. The proximity of #2 and 3 jet pipes to the hull also caused acoustic and thermal cracking and damage to the skins and structure of the hull, so T/O proceedure was altered to useing A/B in the out board engines (1&4) only. The P6M-2 were fitted with J-75 P-2's, with out A/B, with the engines toed out and stagger removed. Loads of puff. A more serious problem for a turbine or jet powerd boat or seaplane, and,indeed, any gas turbine opperating at sea or in dusty(Smokey) conditions is salt or dirt building up on the compressor, reducing efficancy and reducing power. The solution is a fresh water compressor wash, literaly spraying water down the inlet while running, and washing the compressor off. In the Seadart, Convair engineers installed a 30 gal or so tank of water so you could hit the switch before shutdown and 'hose it out'. Carefull placement of strakes and fences, and a bleed air system work very well with out penalizing engine performance in ALL flight regimes. The Shinmewa US-1 uses bleed air and a very deep slot behind a large fence on the chine to direct spray behind the props.Coupled with a dedicated T-53 driven compressor/APU in the hump aft of the wing to supply lots of air with out robbing the flight engines, and blowing every flying surface on the aircraft , the aircraft can fly off in seastates that woud give alot of respectable sized vessels a blender ride.
Or the 737-200A dirt field kit, a defflector on the nose wheel, and a probe at the 6 'o clock position on the inlet that uses bleed air to trigger a vortice that 'sweeps' dirt, stones ,water and gophers out of the way of the inlet. PT-6's use an ice vane, a moveable slat in the bottom of the inlet to position the boundry layer in a fashion that separates the crud and dumps it out the spill door. Lots of helios and turboshafts have screens and filters and ice shields and vortice particle separators, but run at much lower mass flows than turbojets or turbofans, and all will take a performance hit, so great care is taken to ensure unobstructed flow. I saw an AT-802 once that got is plenum filters plugged solid from a combination of lots of water and lots of dirt( it uses a pair of K&N truck air filters) and a broken aux air door. It collapsed the plenum box and cowling like a beer tin, and the compressor stall and massive instant overtemp blew the T-wheel out the stacks. Impressive.
I am waitng as well, as the SJ Albert has been crying for some Mil paint. I was supprised that Sean Doran didn't do one of his cool unmarked cammo schemes for it, like the ones he did for Mr.Heyarts PZL Steam Otter. Got that one to go in FSX, and its one of my favorite Spec-Ops platforms.I'll have to get my thumb out and finnish up a paint pak for the P6M-2 and P5M.
Cheers 3/7charlie

Firebar
July 21st, 2009, 13:43
But there is a reason that no one has tried to make jets breath backwards

Not to attempt to reignite any debate or anything, just to sling in a bit of an oar...

I believe that the Bristol Centaurus that was modified for the Bristol Brabazon had some sort of reverse intake system incorporating multiple s-bends into the intake, so it can probably be done, with a lot of thought. The exact details are hazy, just a memory of seeing the engine on a stand in a museum (possibly Cosford of Duxford?)

M

BTW an extremely nice looking model, even sort of fits with my slowly expanding 1960-1980 sim.

3/7charlie
July 21st, 2009, 13:51
Most all piston(raidial) engine have the carb on the backof the case and some pretty involved ducting. The Bristol Proteus turboprop had a notoriously labrintine inlet configuration that suffered from quite horrid iceing problems.
3/7charlie

3/7charlie
August 18th, 2009, 22:02
Hey Lazerbeak, how are the repaints comming? Have'nt heard anything for a while. Still waiting for news on those!. P6M paint package should be out by morning. Check for the thread in FSX fourm.

edmoore235
August 19th, 2009, 08:59
SOH has had much ups and downs for a while but I wonder if Falcon has had any time to do his wonderful repaints? Smoothie are you still around? You had some wonderful repaints as well. Lazerbeak, on 5 Jul you had 4 cool repaints and by 10 Jul it was up to six really great repaints. Whats up, did we miss it? You guys are teasing us or what (smile)?!

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Lazerbeak
August 19th, 2009, 09:03
I started to get them ready for upload, but things happened, one thing led to the other thing, and it got put on hold longer than I realised. I'm still with intentions to upload, even have some other paints cooking, so now that I see there is still interest, I'll get back to work on sharing these. :)

edmoore235
August 19th, 2009, 15:24
Laserbeak, I am so old, almost any delay could be opps!! Take care and thanks for all your hard work.

Ed :jump:

Lazerbeak
August 20th, 2009, 07:58
All paints have just been uploaded, so you will see them soon. :)

More paints are in consideration. Including a made-up tourist plane registered in St. Maarten, and more military is planned, with a whole set based on JMSDF paints.

3/7charlie
August 20th, 2009, 08:05
Lazerbeak,you are the man! Now I just have to decide if I should work today, or play!.
As Chairman Kojii said to Bender-"Domo arigato, mr roboto"

3/7charlie
August 20th, 2009, 19:17
Lazerbeaks repaints are on-line, and waaaay cool! Dude, thanks. Banged em in and went for a quick spin.
Also found a disapearing contact thats been staying just out of reach off Wake.

morpheusfz
August 21st, 2009, 02:40
where are they Online can't find her.

RL_201
August 21st, 2009, 05:46
I have the same question as morpheusfz, I checked here at SOH, Flightsim.com, and Simviation with no luck.:isadizzy:

edmoore235
August 21st, 2009, 06:32
I am confused? Could not find the repaints here or at flightsim or even at avsim. Anybody have a clue as to where they went too? Thanks in advance. Perhaps a file name to search on would be helpful.

Ed :isadizzy:

Lazerbeak
August 21st, 2009, 08:35
To 3/7charlie, thank you, I am very glad you like them. :)

To those who couldn't see the paints, try this link (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Lazerbeak). That is a list of all my uploads at SOH, so it should all appear in there.

HorusJ
August 21st, 2009, 08:47
Thanks to you Lazerbeak this plane is going to get a lot more flight time.Thank you!:applause:

RL_201
August 21st, 2009, 09:33
Thanks Lazerbeak :applause:, the RCAF SAR paint looks Great! :jump:

edmoore235
August 21st, 2009, 09:50
OK, found them with your help Laserbeak!! Got all seven..... too cool!!! Thanks for your hard work. Will go and fly now...

Bye

Ed :jump: :gameon:

Lazerbeak
August 21st, 2009, 22:03
Thank you so much to whoever enjoys my paints, this is why it's worth it to share. :ernae:

Here's some coming paints, a little far east flavour from my side of the pond.

Based on real-world ShinMeiwa US-1 and US-2 seaplane liveries. First is the current standard (orange, white, and grey, from US-1's) and the awesome new blue scheme seen on US-2 #9903. Up next will be a sporty white-with-blue stripe paint seen on US-2 #9902, and the 1980's era seaplane livery.

3/7charlie
August 22nd, 2009, 00:15
Nice, very nice. Just the thing. As I do not reset the simtime, and I do my simming at all weird hours of the day and night, I end up chasing the sun acoss the planet if I want day light. I do a lot of flying around the Ruykyu islands,so I'm allways on the lookout for JMSDF and JMSA paints. My perpetual TRIDENT MOON ex around Okinawa. Keep up the nice work.

falcon409
August 22nd, 2009, 17:14
With sincere apologies to Falcon 409 but I couldn't leave this design alone. Now I am not an artist but you can get an idea where I'm going.
I "modernized" the spray baffles. Took the pontoons off the wingtips to save weight and added some winglets on the tips. I added a sponson, ala Boeing 314, to supplement the pontoons. It will house the main landing gear instead of it intruding into the cargo space. It also holds some fuel and adds some lift. I also added a anti-reflection area in front of a windshield.

No problem Helldiver. . .I dropped this one not too long after posting the first few shots I made. . .just lost interest and there were much better paints being done than the few I had done. I also went and installed Windows7 and in the process screwed up the FS9 installation and never have gone back to it, so I'm flying FSX exclusively now. If I can figure a way to fix the installation and not lose everything I did, I may be back.

edmoore235
August 22nd, 2009, 18:12
Very nice repaints Laserbeak. Miss having any USN kind of repaints, this aircraft just screams out to fly for the USN!!! Perhaps, only I hear it (smile). Thanks for all your fine work.
Ed :wavey:

Lazerbeak
August 22nd, 2009, 20:27
Very nice repaints Laserbeak. Miss having any USN kind of repaints, this aircraft just screams out to fly for the USN!!! Perhaps, only I hear it (smile). Thanks for all your fine work.
Ed :wavey:
No I hear it too, loud and clear! I have had on the plans for a long time a USN paint based on Greyhound schemes. I'm not too familiar with USN painting practices (methods of numbering, etc.) so I'm doing a little research first so it can be realistic, but there will be an Albatross to decorate your carriers s**n. :)

CG_1976
August 22nd, 2009, 20:46
Thank You Laserbeak, The USCG paint worked perfect over next door at FSX.

3/7charlie
August 22nd, 2009, 22:07
Lazerbeak, try this link. Its good info for this sort of researchhttp://home.att.net/~jbaugher/navyserials.html

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/navyserials.html

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/navyserials.html

I've found those invaluable. Nice looking work. a C-2 type paint.nice. VRC-40?